Page 2 | To ask how you do you trick or treat?

(29 Posts)
Howlingowl Thu 30-Oct-14 13:16:54

Never done trick or treat as I'm from another country. How is it done? Dressing up in scary costumes I get but what else do the kids do, go round to neighbours houses, sing songs, what else? Also if I invite a couple of dc's classmates, should I bake something? Have party food / drinks? It's not a party really, more getting together to do a light weight trick or treat in our street.

thlsmile

OP’s posts: |
SoleSource Fri 31-Oct-14 22:04:44

A shotgun in the face does the trick for treats around here.

TheHorseHasBolted Sat 01-Nov-14 16:26:49

I've always thought you only knock if there's a pumpkin too. Last night the callers were getting few and far between and we were nearly out of treats just before 8, so I brought the pumpkins inside and we didn't get any more callers, although i could hear that there were a few more groups of children outside.

Oriunda Sat 01-Nov-14 16:37:45

Where I live you only knock on houses that have a pumpkin/lantern outside, in other words visible Halloween decorations. I don't think it's fair knocking on doors that have just a light on - not everyone wants to be in the dark. I decorated the front of my house just before 6pm and once the candles were lit, we were open for business. Our busiest time was between 630-7pm; it was non-stop. I blew the candles out and took all the decorations in just before 8, when DS was going to bed, and no one else knocked.

DS went trick or treating last night for the first time (he is 2) and had a lovely time. I really enjoyed seeing all the children out and about.

nappyaddict Mon 03-Nov-14 16:29:37

Lots of houses in our street didn't have decorations but had got treats in and were welcoming trick or treaters. If the hall light was on we knocked and also if they had pumpkins or decorations up.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in