Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Evening Dinner for Neighbours

(50 Posts)
HappyAgainOneDay Fri 24-Oct-14 12:00:57

I've been alone for 4 years now so am no longer used to cooking for more than one person. Because they've been good to me since my loss and subsequent accident, I'm having a total of four neighbours round for an evening meal tonight so would like to know if I'm being too basic with what I'm giving them. Starter: Smoked salmon terrine (bought complete from Aldi and will give each person a slice with a bit of salad); shepherds pie with carrots, sprouts and peas; plum tart (bought ready made from Aldi - special offer several weeks ago) and cream; cheese and biscuits; coffee/tea and chocolate mint sticks (packet from Sainsbury's); plenty of wine and I know they'll bring some as well.

What do you think? Shepherd's pie is nothing like what I used to do. I'm so out of touch with cooking for a few people now....

WorraLiberty Fri 24-Oct-14 12:02:35

It sounds lovely. I wish I was your neighbour! grin

I'm not sure about sprouts with shepherds pie though?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 24-Oct-14 12:04:04

I think that sounds lovely, have a nice evening with your friends.

isseywithcats Fri 24-Oct-14 12:04:22

sounds perfect theres something there for everyone maybe get some pate for people who dont like smoked salmon for the starter

Methe Fri 24-Oct-14 12:04:23

Sounds like the perfect dinner! Shepherds pie is heaven on a plate smile Can I come?

kinkyfuckery Fri 24-Oct-14 12:05:29

Sounds lovely. Lucky neighbours.

JubJubBirds Fri 24-Oct-14 12:06:44

Sounds fantastic. You could pop a load of bread rolls on the table too if you're worried, but I think it all sounds fab.

yellowdinosauragain Fri 24-Oct-14 12:07:13

I think that sounds lovely. You've gone to loads of trouble! Nothing wrong with sprouts and shepherds pie, the good thing about having several veg is that if there's one that they don't like there are others they can have instead.

Seriously, the company is always more importable than the food imho, and the fact you've clearly gone to so much effort will just be the icing on the cake. Enjoy your evening.

PoppyFleur Fri 24-Oct-14 12:09:39

Sounds lovely, I would be a very happy dinner party guest with that menu and very grateful that someone was kind enough to cook for me.

<dashes out to Aldi to hunt for smoke salmon terrine>

NanooCov Fri 24-Oct-14 12:09:44

Sounds lovely. Don't stress at all - they'll enjoy not having to cook for themselves, a few vinos and some lovely company.

JoandMax Fri 24-Oct-14 12:12:30

Sounds great! And people really don't care about the food, they are coming to see you and spend time with you.

My friend had a dinner party recently where all the food was pretty much inedible (she can normally cook....) - we had a great time and ended up eating toast followed by strawberries!!

Whippet81 Fri 24-Oct-14 12:12:41

Sounds fine to me smile

Spindarella Fri 24-Oct-14 12:19:09

Sounds really nice.

Sprouts go with everything. In fact I'd have a bowl of sprouts on their own and be happy. Mmmmmm. Actually, maybe I'm not a good judge of whether your menu is ok or not. grin

My go to is a sideof salmon from Tesco - they're always on offer at the fish ocunter for �10 per kg. Wrap it in foil with lemons, chives or whatever and bung in the oven then serve on a long plate with salad underneath, big bowl of new potatoes, couple of other bowls of veg so I probably serve a similar "standard" of food to you. It always goes down really well. I think people appreicate nice food and a good atmosphere above masterchef food and a panicky atmosphere.

WorraLiberty Fri 24-Oct-14 12:21:03

Oooh don't forget gravy to pour over the shepherds pie!

Or is it just me who loves it like that? blush

velourvoyageur Fri 24-Oct-14 12:28:24

It sounds perfect. But do you mean the tart is several weeks old??

JustSpeakSense Fri 24-Oct-14 12:31:59

Sounds delish! Can I come too? grin

Allalonenow Fri 24-Oct-14 12:33:27

All sounds lovely, especially the starter, one of my favourites. thlsmile

Jessbags001 Fri 24-Oct-14 12:34:46

It all sounds great except the sprouts. I love them, but SO many don't. Green beans instead? Have you got a good shepherd's pie recipe?

Jessbags001 Fri 24-Oct-14 12:36:25

Oh, and just make sure they're not vegetarian!

HappyAgainOneDay Fri 24-Oct-14 12:46:59

I used to joke about my shepherds pie because my DS used to cringe at the idea of school dinners at home. He still talks about my liver and greens. When the neighbours came last time, I told them it would be a school dinner and, yes, I gave them semolina for pudding. I put sultanas in it and one neighbour came up with a 'different' description for it..... I probably wouldn't be allowed to put it here.

Methe and @JustSpeakSense*. Please do come because I know that I've prepared too much mince.

PoppyFleur The Smoked Salmon Terrine was a frozen special buy from Aldi some weeks ago and it has been in a freezer here for about 4 months so it won't be available now.

Spindarella I like sprouts too much, too. Every time I do a cooked meal, it has sprouts with it if I can get away with it.

Worra. You are right. I prepared the mounds of mince yesterday and realised that there wasn't enough gravy so I will be making extra. Thank you for reminding me that I'll have to get out a jug, a spoon and a box of gravy powder. Actually, I think I have no gravy powder so it will have to be cheapo granules.

VoyeurVoyageur Yes, the tart's been in the freezer as long as the terrine. Thank you for the reminder - time to get it out of the freezer!

I have a couple coming for an evening meal on Tuesday and was hoping to give them leftovers but I don't think there'll be anything left.

ClapHandsIfYouBelieveInFatties Fri 24-Oct-14 12:51:23

Drool. I want all of this now please!!

JustSpeakSense Fri 24-Oct-14 12:52:10

Nothing wrong with an old tart! wink

HappyAgainOneDay Fri 24-Oct-14 12:52:29

Jess, Issy and JubJub I haven't time to go shopping again. Yes, it's a good shepherds pie recipe from a cookery book that I've had for years. For the gravy in it, it's just the juices emitted by the mince, one can of condensed mushroom soup plus a bit of water to wash out the can (included) and a couple of beef cubes. Are we allowed to say the O word here?

I've had them before and know that they are not vegetarian and they all eat fish (except shellfish in one case).

HappyAgainOneDay Fri 24-Oct-14 12:53:18

JustSpeakSense Well, I needn't defrost the plum tart, need I? grin

maras2 Fri 24-Oct-14 12:53:21

worra. You savage.Sprouts are made to go with shepherd's pie.Agree about the gravy though.When you think that you've made enough,make more.Can never have too much gravy.OP,you sound a lovely neighbour and I hope that your evening goes well. Here's my contribution wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now