Talk

Advanced search

To think that Camembert cheese should be smelly?

(10 Posts)
Honeezreturn Wed 08-Oct-14 14:36:41

We've been given a large round of Camembert in a box from France and it's stinks to high heaven! but am I right in thinking this is a good thing?
DH won't touch it as he thinks it's off it does smell of rotten feet
Am i going to die if I eat it?? The best before date is 16/10/14

cherrybombxo Wed 08-Oct-14 14:46:46

Smelly cheese isn't a bad thing but tell your DH that it's off so he won't want any, then eat it all with a box of Ritz when he's out of the house wink

I love Camembert, I eat my weight in it at Christmas time!

KurriKurri Wed 08-Oct-14 14:48:05

They can go off and stink in the most disgusting way. So that is a possibility, - does it stink in a stinky cheese way, or in a rotting dead thing way?

Personally I would try a bit after giving it a good close up sniff, if it is off, you will probably throw up instantly, if it's just very ripe, all will be well.

Trickydecision Wed 08-Oct-14 14:49:56

It won't hurt you, but if it is too far gone you might not like it. Smelly is desirable, stinky feet fine, but when it smells of ammonia it won't taste nice.

puntasticusername Wed 08-Oct-14 14:51:18

I don't think you should risk it.

Send it to me instead grin

AlexVause82 Wed 08-Oct-14 14:53:19

Slice the top off and keep it in its cardboard packaging (if any) once you have sliced the top off, poke in some rosemary and garlic and bake mm

Lush on ciabatta with caramalised red onion and fig balasamic glaze :D im crazy about cheese send it to me

mrspremise Wed 08-Oct-14 14:53:37

Any hint of a cat pee smell, then ditch it. If not and it's just a smelly trainers kind of sweaty Betty smell, pass the baguette!

ErrolTheDragon Wed 08-Oct-14 14:55:16

Our last dog could tell from an upstairs room if we'd got a piece of camembert or brie out of the fridge - you'd hear this little thud as he jumped off the bed and he would appear under our feet very quickly. Didn't bother doing this for other cheeses. Yes, it should smell.

Honeezreturn Wed 08-Oct-14 14:56:04

Ive cut a wedge out, the cheese itself doesn't smell, it's more the rind that stinks of feet so I'm gonna risk it later on with some wholemeal crackers and plum chutney. DH can watch grin
It's stunk the fridge out tho! So I had better hurry and eat itgrin
Will report back if I'm still fit and well!

Bunbaker Wed 08-Oct-14 14:56:59

If it doesn't have an ammonia smell then it is fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »