Advanced search

aibu to think maybe I am losing my mind, need some advice please

(175 Posts)
fragileyourock Wed 24-Sep-14 20:50:39

Bear with me please as I think maybe I, m over reacting I dont know. In my bathroom upstairs I have white vinyl tiles on the floor and I am pretty anal about keeping them clean and the toilet. Once a day normally mid morning I clean and bleach the toilet then I wipe the floor with disinfectant wipes. Its just me and my son who is eleven.
In the last two days something weird has been happening in the bathroom please dont laugh as its scarying me. We always and visitors take shoes off downstairs never go upstairs in shoes. But for some reason there have been footprints and hairs on the bathroom floor, tiny curly black hairs. Its not from my son as he is not hairy and its not from me because I use hair remover and did this two weeks ago.
I get a gut feeling that somebody is doing this or maybe my mind is losing the plot. But I, m racking my brains as to a reasonable explaination. I know I must sound deranged but something is not right

AdmitYouKnowImRight Wed 24-Sep-14 20:52:51

Who else is in your house?

Cantbelievethisishappening Wed 24-Sep-14 20:55:58

Are you out all day? Does someone else have a key?
I would be inclined to report it as it is clearly worrying you. That would freak me out to. does your son bring friends back ever without your knowledge?

7Days Wed 24-Sep-14 20:56:26

dirty cloth (I know you said you used wipes, but?)
son trying on new shoes?

Two days wouldn't bother me, tbh, but it's obviously worrying you

Cantbelievethisishappening Wed 24-Sep-14 20:56:28

Sorry....just seen you clean bathroom mid morning

MrsMinton Wed 24-Sep-14 20:57:45

Are they shoe prints? If not could a cat be coming in an open window??

maddening Wed 24-Sep-14 20:59:47

Get a CCTV camera.

maddening Wed 24-Sep-14 21:01:10

And put talc on the floor when you leave

Alpacacino Wed 24-Sep-14 21:01:33

Dust floor with flour before going to bed, tell DS to walk gingerly if he needs the bathroom in the night. There might be clues in the morning! call me Sherlock

Alpacacino Wed 24-Sep-14 21:01:58

scarletforya Wed 24-Sep-14 21:02:15

Does your son wear black socks. Some black socks leave a film of dark fibers over tiles. Could it be that?

AnotherStitchInTime Wed 24-Sep-14 21:05:10

Take a photo and show it to someone you trust.

If they see footprints then you could have visitors not taking shoes off or a visitor you didn't know you had (does son bring friends home?)

Hairs can be transported on clothing/cleaning equipment from other places. Your son may also be hairier down there than you realise, DH always leaves hairs when he uses the toilet.

You do sound slightly obsessive over the bathroom cleaning, anxiety and ocd are linked to seeing things sometimes.

bauhausfan Wed 24-Sep-14 21:05:37

Yes - get a camera and don't mention it to anyone. You can get those hidden recorders in bears/toys that people use to spy on carers who they suspect of abuse.

fragileyourock Wed 24-Sep-14 21:05:39

It only seems to have happened after the mid morning clean so the floor is spotless then I go out and notice it in the late afternoon. My son doesnt wear shoes upstairs as he knows the rules about shoes not being worn in the house and he is comfortable doing so. He doesnt have friends back often and if he does they go off into his bedroom minus shoes. Only me and my son have keys on us and he doesnt come home for lunch from school.
its bothering me because a few months ago when I had gone out, both bathroom taps were turned on running and a vase on the bathroom windowsill was left in the sink unsmashed and a rolled up flannel next to the vase had been lefted ontop of the bath still rolled up.

Bulbasaur Wed 24-Sep-14 21:07:10

Woman lives for year in cupboard undetected

It has happened before... grin

(Sorry, it's almost October, it's time for creepy pasta)

But logically, your son is 11. He may not be as hairless as you think. Children can hit puberty as early as 8, and hairs are one of the first signs. He probably forgot to take off his shoes and used the bathroom. Being 12 and knowing the rules, he would likely deny this to avoid getting in trouble.

WhoDaresWins Wed 24-Sep-14 21:07:23

Human footprints? Bare feet or shoes? Child or adult size? Need more info!

SaucyJack Wed 24-Sep-14 21:07:55

There will be a perfectly rational and even boring explanation (I'd guess your son has some new preening routine personally)

Imagine it was a friend saying it to you. It would seem so ridiculous as to be funny wouldn't it? You'd know and reassure your friend that there couldn't possibly be any spooky business. Now say it to yourself.

MrsWinnibago Wed 24-Sep-14 21:09:38

OP get some recording device and leave it going in a hidden spot. Or maybe you could pretend to go out as normal and then hide? That's probably a bit nuts but I'd do it.

HoneyTits Wed 24-Sep-14 21:09:51

You say footprints but I'm assuming human? Are they shoe prints or barefoot prints? Bigger than yours and ds's? Can you see the path the shoes have gone?

thatniceperson Wed 24-Sep-14 21:11:05

Jesus, The vase story scared me! Sorry I have no advice, but I'd be seriously freaked out too

fragileyourock Wed 24-Sep-14 21:24:36

Human footprints shoes hat look bigger than mine and my sons. The hairs are tinyish, curly and there are about thirty to forty of them at a glance. My son is not hairy at all. He has no under arm hair or any downstairs. I do suffer with anxiety and cleaning keeps my mind off things. This is really uneasing me

Quitelikely Wed 24-Sep-14 21:27:40

God I'm freaked out reading this! Is it a wind up? Taps running ? Foot prints! Is it pubic hair

MrsCosmopilite Wed 24-Sep-14 21:27:41

Is there any chance you can not go out in the afternoon? You could open and shut the door, then hide?

Logic says that someone is doing this, but who it is has to be established.

Is it in any way possible that your son could come back, or lend his key to someone?

Quitelikely Wed 24-Sep-14 21:28:05

Take a picture and post here tomorrow

MokunMokun Wed 24-Sep-14 21:33:58

In our last house my husband lost his key. He swore it had fallen behind the washing machine. But I often got the feeling someone had been in our house. One day I came home and found the cat outside even though I had been careful to shut him inside as it was supposed to rain that day.

I was also toying with the idea of setting up a camera but we decided to move (for other reasons). Of course when the movers took the washing machine out there was no key there.

I believe you can set up your web cam to record footage while you are out. Why not try it for peace of mind at least?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now