Talk

Advanced search

To quite like the "Harry Potter" lawyer look

(14 Posts)
LornMowa Fri 29-Aug-14 19:03:24

...and think that the judge was a right old spoil sport. Provided the bloke knows his stuff, and his clothes are clean, I don't think it matters what he wears.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28979459

In any case it was OK in the Olden Days
www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/10_october/29/garrow2.shtml

AtrociousCircumstance Fri 29-Aug-14 19:22:35

Spoil sport? A cyclist died. I think it's a bit twattish to play dress up in these circumstances.

LornMowa Fri 29-Aug-14 19:44:18

Sorry for the flippant comment. I missed the bit about the cause of the case. Having said that, I still feel that his outfit is appropriate for court.

AgaPanthers Fri 29-Aug-14 19:53:26

Better article in the DM

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2737680/You-look-like-Harry-Potter-Judge-blasts-Hagrid-lookalike-barrister-went-court-ribbon-medals-sewn-gown.html

He is an actual loon:

alanblacker2.webs.com
alanblacker.webs.com
www.faketitles.com/html/blacker_v_beaver.html

Icimoi Fri 29-Aug-14 20:20:49

Mind you, when you look at judicial ceremonial robes and wigs, it is sort of a case of pots and kettles.

MrsCakesPrecognition Fri 29-Aug-14 20:26:08

At a wedding, it is bad form for guests to upstage the bride. In court, it is unforgivable to upstage the judge, he is the only one who gets to wear a fancy robe.

stiffstink Fri 29-Aug-14 20:33:37

I have met him!

I can imagine how that hearing went. Lets just say he is a very interesting character.

msagro Sun 18-Jan-15 20:27:23

This lawyer, who makes some outlandish claims (He's a lord, he has a DPhil, he speaks five languages fluently &c., &c.) has over 8000 posts dedicated to him at THIS lively discussion site

flora717 Sun 18-Jan-15 21:27:32

And now there's a post there sending me back here. YANBU to like the 'look' (actually the guys at my wedding were potentially rocking what that judge would have described as HP).
But.
He does seem a little ... um ... inviting comment?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 18-Jan-15 21:35:00

I think it's unacceptable for a lawyer to be drawing attention to themselves to the detriment of their case. Although dress in the crown court is unlike almost everywhere else, it is very uniform, ie everyone wears much the same thing. I thought the Judge handled this case very well (from the press report).

FightOrFlight Sun 18-Jan-15 21:49:48

How the heck does he look like Hagrid just because he's overweight and has long hair?

I might not think it especially appropriate for court but the Judge has no room to comment based on his picture in the DM. Now that really does look like fancy dress.

NeedABumChange Sun 18-Jan-15 21:59:59

But there isn't a picture of him in ribbons and medals so how can we tell how silly he looked?

natureplantar101 Sun 18-Jan-15 22:02:21

i think its totally acceptable hr is smart clean and well turned out and he obviously takes pride in his appearance i wear medals and corsets all the time at home its good to be yourself and be quirky if you want to be as long as he turned up and was polite etc

TestingTestingWonTooFree Tue 20-Jan-15 23:05:26

In the Crown Court acting as an advocate it's not good to be yourself; there's no room for dressing however you fancy. If that's important to you then you should get another job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: