Talk

Advanced search

To chuck them all out

(38 Posts)
Frustrated101 Fri 29-Aug-14 17:32:08

Loom bands are apparently filled with cancer causing chemicals. Scare mongering or true, who knows. Dont know how to link off my phone but it is all over the papers.

DD has loads but she has opened all the packets and mixed them all up. Should i just bin the lot or am i just reading way too much into it. FYI i am overly anxious about health related matters.

MrsWinnibago Fri 29-Aug-14 17:35:52

No. Only the cheapo ones without the CE mark. Just look on the packs for a biggish CE

User100 Fri 29-Aug-14 17:37:55

I saw this too. DD only has 1 box, but have thrown out lots of the original packaging so can't check. I've taken them away for now but not sure what to do in the long run (probably keep an eye on the news and see how it develops).

Frustrated101 Fri 29-Aug-14 17:42:02

DD has just tipped them all out into one big box. All colours mixed etc. she got a box from The Entertainer which was the company the Daily Mail was writing about and then others from stalls at summer fairs or various post offices.

EatShitDerek Fri 29-Aug-14 17:43:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tippytap Fri 29-Aug-14 17:46:43

I think the news refers only to certain loom band CHARMS, sold at The Entertainer, not the loom bands themselves.

TheBloodManCometh Fri 29-Aug-14 17:51:28

According to the Daily Mail everything causes cancer. Eggs, toast, immigrants, people on benefits, ice cream.

My advice is to stop reading the Daily Mail.

FreeSpirit89 Fri 29-Aug-14 17:53:06

Agree with theblood.

grocklebox Fri 29-Aug-14 17:55:10

charms, not bands. Read the scaremongering stories all the way through before you totally over react.

Frustrated101 Fri 29-Aug-14 17:55:14

This is why i asked as i believe everything i read. I dont read the paper but heard from a friend who read it on facebook.

londonrach Fri 29-Aug-14 18:06:18

Got mine from 99p shop. It's bands. How unsafe can it be...

Frontier Fri 29-Aug-14 18:07:39

Yes, it's just the charms. At least that's how I read it.

grocklebox Fri 29-Aug-14 18:14:00

Well stop doing that then. most of what you read is utter horseshit.

combust22 Fri 29-Aug-14 18:15:06

I have just chuck a load out. Irritating horrible things.

Idontseeanysontarans Fri 29-Aug-14 18:24:43

I think for your own health you need to ignore anything that comes off FB, even if it has a link to a supposedly reputable source. I found that Instopped worrying about many things as much if I did that (not being flippant, it really did help thanks)
Combust I'm favouring the hoovering them up by stealth approach at the moment.. smile

DiaDuit Fri 29-Aug-14 18:31:03

I'd bin them just for being loom bands. Cant stand the fuckers.

And stop believing everything someone's cousin's dog read on a fb link from the daily mail.

Andrewofgg Fri 29-Aug-14 18:39:30

Check with Dr Google?

Waltonswatcher Fri 29-Aug-14 18:56:33

Hateful toy with hideous Eco credentials.
I hope this stops the craze .
Btw I agree with all of the above who state not to read the news - i loath the misery peddling scare merchants.

Hissy Fri 29-Aug-14 19:20:55

loom bands are about the crappiest thing ever.

think of the effect on wildlife when that crap goes into landfil!

how long will it take this shit to biodegrade...

just stop buying this shit.

QuintessentiallyQS Fri 29-Aug-14 19:24:37

Apparently the bands have 500 times the legal amounts of phalates, and this interact with genital development, dna, etc. It can be harmful as it reacts to the skin when wet, like if your fingers are sweating as you are making them or wearing them.

PistolWhipped Fri 29-Aug-14 19:50:03

Hissy, are you for bloody real?

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Fri 29-Aug-14 20:20:04

According to the Daily Mail everything causes cancer. Eggs, toast, immigrants, people on benefits, ice cream.

grin

BobbyDazzler1 Fri 29-Aug-14 20:39:15

Keep your kids out of prolonged sunlight, keep them way from cigarette smoke and avoid too much processed meat. I work in cancer research and these are the things to worry about. There are few more possible things that may cause cancer that are being currently looked in to - Loom Bands ain't one of them! Life's too short to read the tabloids and fill your head with unfounded fears xxx

Eggybread00 Fri 29-Aug-14 21:42:50

I have a silicone product aimed at kids manufactured in China- I spend £600 on testing for each batch- this checks for phthalates etc and is a requirement to meet the EN71 safety standard- all toys in Europe should meet this standard or they cannot be sold (although most don't do per batch).
I bought loom bands on eBay and did think- I doubt these have been officially certified, but none of my product batches have ever failed the test so I dismissed my loom bands concern.
But, do remember this when you buy rubber/ plastic 'tat' on holiday! Also, Never buy any battery operated toys or appliances from market sellers/ Hong Kong shops- years ago we bought a toy and as I picked it up at home it was so hot it blistered my hand! Was so grateful it was not my daughters hand.

Hissy Fri 29-Aug-14 22:56:19

of course I am pistol, it's just mindless junk.

what's your problem with that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now