Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to help save a business from the actions of the proprietor

(5 Posts)
ForalltheSaints Mon 25-Aug-14 10:54:21

I will keep this somewhat anonymised for the consideration of some of those involved.

A place I do business with is in steep decline, because it cannot keep staff and has had a staff shortage for about a year. Customers cannot rely on it as it has had to 'shut up shop' for a day or two with the staff shortage from time to time. Two of the staff were sacked without basic confidentiality being observed (I knew beforehand and was not alone). The proprietor has even made comments about staff on the business's social media feed which are wholly inappropriate. He has no idea how to manage people and does not let the office manager get on with it, who can.

AIBU to want to do something to try and help save the business? Not sure what though. There are some people who work there who have always been very helpful and for whom I would not wish to see out of a job.

MassaAttack Mon 25-Aug-14 12:48:40

Could you help the helpful ones set up on their own?

The proprietor sounds like an arse. Having said that, I've worked for some people with dreadful staff management skills who are actually OK as individuals for the most part and are good at the rest of the business aspect (restaurateurs, to be specific).

MassaAttack Mon 25-Aug-14 12:51:59

Or another thought, help the good guys get posts elsewhere. This happened to me once - I walked out after a row with the twat of a manager, got a call a couple of hours later offering me a job elsewhere. Friend of the new employer had heard what happened and put in a good word for me. I ended up there for years, on and off.

FesterAddams Mon 25-Aug-14 13:07:34

Don't think there's much you can do unless a bunch of you can buy the proprietor out.

ForalltheSaints Fri 21-Oct-16 07:09:32

To update this zombie thread- the business was sold on earlier in the year, new owner trying to make a good go of it, though I fear it may be too late as the best staff had long left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now