Advanced search

Urgent help needed (mental health) Please help me. posting here for traffic

(83 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Insecurelyattached Sat 23-Aug-14 20:53:15

Hi Mumsnet. I'm a long time lurker/ sometimes poster but have namechanged.

I have ptsd and past childhood abuse issues which I am dealing with with a private therapist. Had nhs assessment before but they dismissed me, so no crisis team available etc.

I'm in a very bad place tonight and have no one to call etc. Last night I cut myself for the first time in a long time, and have been doing other self harming things. The suicidal thoughts that began again last week are really threatening me tonight and I don't know if I can keep myself safe. I have taken 15mg of valium but it;s not helping with the emotional state Im in, just making me feel a bit drunk.

I think unless the valium fully kicks in soon and starts to sedate me, I need to get some emergency help tonight, like going to a hospital. I have never been in a hosputal before and I don't know which one would be best to go to for this. I am in London, and I think Guys and St thomas's are connected to the maudsley psychiatric hospital, so would guys + thomas maybe be the best a and e dept to go to?

What will happen if I go? Can they give me stronger drugs to calm me down tonight?

If anyone has any experience of this, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you x

CarmineRose1978 Sat 23-Aug-14 20:55:37

I'm not in London so can't advise on specific hospitals but I'd have thought any A&E worth its salt will know how to help you.

Sorry you're feeling so bad thanks

waitingforgodot Sat 23-Aug-14 20:56:08

I dont have experience but please phone for help.

Didyouevah Sat 23-Aug-14 20:58:40

Do you have a cpn? Out of hours crisis team?

maddening Sat 23-Aug-14 20:59:02

call the samaritans they might know the process and be able to advise.

good luck I hope you find the help you need thanks

whothehellareyou Sat 23-Aug-14 21:00:04

The first step is the hardest and you've done that by asking for help. Well done. Either call for an ambulance or get yourself to A&E, anyone will do. I'm sure someone will be along soon with better, clearer advice, but right now I think you need to get yourself somewhere safe.

Here for hand holding.

ChasedByBees Sat 23-Aug-14 21:00:09

Go to your nearest A&E now. They will be able to help you.

gentlehoney Sat 23-Aug-14 21:01:55

I think the safest thing to do is to go the nearest hospital now.

Insecurelyattached Sat 23-Aug-14 21:02:13

thank you for the replies, thank you for taking the time.

No I don't have a crisis team as in private therapy and my therapist is not available at the weekend or on the bank holiday.

caling samaritans is an idea, I;ll see if I can gather myself to do that in a minute.

Insecurelyattached Sat 23-Aug-14 21:03:56

Scared to go to just any hospital as I have heard horror stories about people in crisis being told they were wasting hospital time, doing it for attention, etc. So would like to find one that is used to people with mental health issues coming in.

Mae34 Sat 23-Aug-14 21:04:11

Any A&E will have a psychiatric liaison team and a nurse and psychiatrist to assess you. The Maudsley is opposite kings college hospital but kings will contact your local Crisis Team if you need extra support and care at home. Please go and see someone- that's what they are there for. Sorry you feel so low right now...

Insecurelyattached Sat 23-Aug-14 21:04:46

Going to make a cup of tea to see if it helps calming down a bit.

aprilanne Sat 23-Aug-14 21:05:55

i have private messaged you xx

Mae34 Sat 23-Aug-14 21:07:22

Sorry cross post- Kings Liaison is a very experienced team and there are many people with mental health issues in distress using that hospital due to the Maudsley being so near. I hope you get some help wherever you go...

LatteLoverLovesLattes Sat 23-Aug-14 21:08:04

I'm going to make a nice cup of tea too brew

See you back here in a minute smile I'm posting on an ancient laptop that needs to be plugged in as the battery doesn't charge, so you can't come to the kitchen with me - sorry! What are you posting on? I need to update all of my dinosaur technology - but it's making my head hurt trying to decide what to buy!

'See' you in a minute smile

AndyWarholsOrange Sat 23-Aug-14 21:09:50

Hi, if you go to St Thomas's, they are part of SLAM (South London and Maudsley) and they can assess you and refer you to home treatment or admit you. The same if you go to kings College in Camberwell. I work for them and am also a patient of SLAM (complicated). Please go, they will be nothing but kind. Good luck.

TheCuriousOwl Sat 23-Aug-14 21:12:28

I was going to say same as AndyWarholsOrange. KCH or St Thomas' are both great. Nobody will say you're wasting anyone's time, you're doing the right thing.

1sneezecakesmum Sat 23-Aug-14 21:14:45

You can get an out of hours appointment with a gp and they should be able to refer you to the crisis resolution team in your area. I think you call 111 in London.

You can go to A&E but Saturday night may be a long wait but they should be able to refer you to the crisis team or see an on call psychiatrist.

Waiting times can be a bit horrendous.

I'm in a different area so I am generalising a bit here.

LatteLoverLovesLattes Sat 23-Aug-14 21:15:22

It sounds like they are both good, so go to whichever is easiest to get to. Can you get a taxi?

ArsenicyOldFace Sat 23-Aug-14 21:17:39

I am in London, and I think Guys and St thomas's are connected to the maudsley psychiatric hospital, so would guys + thomas maybe be the best a and e dept to go to?

Yes, if you're close (according to CPN friend) but don't travel a long distance just for that reason.

Insecurelyattached Sat 23-Aug-14 21:17:50

thank you all so much. I called St Thomas's a and e to ask would it be ok to come in, and he seemed nice so i think I want to go there.

Terrified about it though, disorientated with all the valium and feel really vulnerable negotiating London night travel like this. I don;t know if I can make myself do it but I know I should to get seen and possibly get some appropriate medication and end up feeling better, though I don't feel like that can ever be true again and I'm terrified of this pain never stopping at the same time I know my thinking is distorted, it;s a massive mindfuck.

Apri;anne, I never got your pm? thank you for sending it though xx

TeaAndALemonTart Sat 23-Aug-14 21:19:38

Go to Kings now sweetheart and tell them exactly what you've said in your OP.

They will help you, you'll be okay but go soon.

whothehellareyou Sat 23-Aug-14 21:19:58

Sometimes simple tasks can be daunting when feeling low. It always helps me to do things in little steps

1) Find shoes a coat and front door key
2) walk/ get bus/ taxi/ lift to A&E
3) Tell them you feel low and need urgent help.

Three little steps. If it helps, imagine all of us coming with you! You are not alone OP.

The valium will make you feel a little 'wobbly' but the sooner you get to hospital the better. So proud of you for calling them!

Insecurelyattached Sat 23-Aug-14 21:20:36

I'm not too far, Arsenicy, about half an hour on tube which is fine by London standards, there is a closer hospital but I'm scared to go there for a really stupid reason that I cant talk about but involves another health issue and bad associations (even though they were really kind lovely staff there).

londonrach Sat 23-Aug-14 21:21:29

Well done op for being strong to ask for help. Hugs and supporting you. Like everyone else tonight. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now