Advanced search

Any docs about... Need advise on 5 year old son.

(39 Posts)
Altinkum Mon 18-Aug-14 20:20:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Altinkum Mon 18-Aug-14 20:21:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PavlovtheCat Mon 18-Aug-14 20:24:06

Whatever is causing it (and I don't really have an answer) I would definitely take him to the docs to ensure you get the right diagnosis and treatment, just in case it's not something that will respond to aciclovir.

Poor little mite, he must feel so uncomfortable. can he maybe have some soup and cold drinks through a straw to help? would an ice pack or cold flannel help with easing any pain/discomfort?

spongebob5 Mon 18-Aug-14 20:25:13

Ring nhs direct for advice

wewillmendit Mon 18-Aug-14 20:26:50

Hi I'm not a medic but I would ring out of hours GP for advice.
Does your ds have anti histamines prescribed? Might be worth giving him a dose if you feel there is any swelling.

DoItTooJulia Mon 18-Aug-14 20:29:31

Get RL help. Call ooh/111/nhs direct, they'll help you decide what to do.

Looks sore, poor lamb.

Meh84 Mon 18-Aug-14 20:29:32

Call NHS Direct. The time it took to write this post you might as well have just called them!

TheIronGnome Mon 18-Aug-14 20:29:44

It looks a bit like impetigo but seems to be very sudden onset.

Altinkum Mon 18-Aug-14 20:30:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

missusmrs Mon 18-Aug-14 20:31:27

I don't have advice sorry but as an allergy sufferer I would say call NHS direct they will more than likely, due to his age and medical history,advise a trip to A+E/ out of hours clinic...sounds like neither of ye will get sleep if you don't....

mum11970 Mon 18-Aug-14 20:31:52

I was thinking impetigo as well. To be on the safe side make sure you don't share towels. If it's impetigo it's highly contagious.

Altinkum Mon 18-Aug-14 20:33:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PavlovtheCat Mon 18-Aug-14 20:33:20

altinkum if he is not eating or drinking, you probably should, imo, consider OOH. If you say they would say he should go in, then just go in, if it might make him more comfortable, more quickly. No need to wait until tomorrow or later if you can get him feeling better right now.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Mon 18-Aug-14 20:33:25

If he is refusing to drink because of the pain you need to get him seen. I would go for an OOH appointment or walk in clinic.

coffeecups Mon 18-Aug-14 20:34:28

If it has never been this bad, then you have your answer that you do need to do something.

Hope he feels better soon x

PavlovtheCat Mon 18-Aug-14 20:36:00

You say you are old hat at this, but also that he has never had so many sores, so not old hat at this particular level of severity. You obviously know him better than others here, and whether his discomfort can wait another day, but the not eating and drinking would be bothering me enough to go for that docs appt sooner rather than later so he feels better quickly. It's not urgent as in life and death, but he is only a little boy, and feeling awful is an urgent situation imo.

Altinkum Mon 18-Aug-14 20:40:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnyFucker Mon 18-Aug-14 20:40:50

Looks like impetigo, but I would get a medical opinion with his other issues

Acyclovir won't help, it will just spread the sores

I don't want to worry you but this is why you should get a medical opinion

Good luck x

AnyFucker Mon 18-Aug-14 20:45:35

inside his mouth ?

You should get him looked at tonight, love x

Oinkypig Mon 18-Aug-14 20:46:56

It's hard to tell from the photo (am on my phone as well) but if they are cold sores that have come up so quickly I would be a bit concerned and take him to be seen. It looks a bit like a really nasty case of primary herpetic gingivostomatitis, (the first time you have cold sores) but as he has them already it's not that.

Hope he feels better soonsad

PacificDogwood Mon 18-Aug-14 20:49:01

Yy get him looked at tonight.

I am sorry, your photo is a bit out of focus and I have no clue what he has but is might be a herpetic mouth infection (gingivo-stomatitis) which is v painful and will stop him wanting to drink, never mind eating.

Is is on a big dose of steroids for a young child so he is very likely to need systemic treatment i.e. tablets or even i.v.

Do you have access to the hospital he is normally treated at? That would be ideal for an opinion, rather than random OOH GP or A+E.

Good luck.

Altinkum Mon 18-Aug-14 20:52:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PacificDogwood Mon 18-Aug-14 20:53:29

Ah, good.
Hope you get seen quickly thanks

PavlovtheCat Mon 18-Aug-14 21:44:37

glad you are getting him looked at. Hope he is feeling better very soon.

ScarlettDarling Mon 18-Aug-14 22:00:15

Poor little lamb, hope you get him sorted quickly x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now