Advanced search

To get the police involved?

(63 Posts)
MagersfonteinLugg Sun 17-Aug-14 22:19:44

I will try to cut a long story short.
New family on the street, 2 boys age 11 low level bullying of my DS (6) on the park across the street. They broke our wall, and I took the trampoline down in the back garden because they kept throwing stones over the fence which ended up hitting my DS on the shoulder. Told the parents who made them apologise, but the little incidents kept happening (broken scooter, swearing at them, etc)
Last week one of the twins threw DS onto the ground and broke his collarbone. Spent all evening in A&E getting x-ray and assessment. He was given a sling to wear but no plaster cast obviously.
Informed the parents who promised to sort it and keep their boys away, but low level harrassment continued all week. Their main beef is that they don't believe he has a broken collar bone so call him a liar out on the park, etc.
Today they harrassed my DD and DN whilst they were picking blacberries and swore at them then they thre Dss scooter into the brook. This evening I heard them effing and blinding at DD again.
It takes a lot to rile me but I lost it and called the police who were very nice and told me I had done the right thing. They arranged to visit me on Tuesday.
DD was on the park so I went out to fetch her in. THEY were also there and started about DS again, how he was a liar and his collar bone was not broken and I was lying just to get them into trouble. I was calm and told them that we would see what the police thought about when they came to see me, then went inside with DD.
5 mins later I had a huge bodybuilding skinhead on my doorstep shouting abuse in my face and telling to stop f***ing overreacting. I explained this needed to be sorted as he had not done anything to stop the harrassment and he basically told me to F***k off, along with another member of his family who came along .
I just told him to leave and the police would sort it.
I was really upset and shaken, but I really don't think IABU to involve the police in the first place.
Was I?

Dolly80 Thu 21-Aug-14 08:43:56

You've described constant intimidation of your children, your son being physically injured and now you being intimidated/threatened.

Do not let them make you feel guilty. They are in the wrong for allowing such behaviour and the Police and/or other agencies (eg letting agent) should be informed so they suffer the consequences of there actions.

Also, if these twins are exhibiting similar behaviours towards others, for example in school, the family may already be known to services. Therefore, the current assistance you are hopefully getting from the Police might also inform professionals who are trying to make the changes it sounds like the children, and their parents, need.

Best wishes, I hope you continue to work with the Police and some resolution can be found for you and your children ��

bubalou Thu 21-Aug-14 07:56:06

What happened with the police op?

I think they sound horrendous and you did the right thing completely.

They sound like scum. Agree about what one poster said about login every sone thing in a notepad with date and time. Trust me from experience.

Also what another said about who owns their property - landlord, council etc - there will be someone you can complain to.

Rosa Thu 21-Aug-14 07:55:32

Thing is they won't stop will they ? You pull out then you are seen as easy prey and the children will torment even more as the parents will have told them that you are weak.

SquinkiesRule Thu 21-Aug-14 07:51:37

Did these awful people buy the house or is there a landlord you can complain too letting them know the police are involved?
I'd call the Police each time they came round and tried to intimidate you.

lunar1 Thu 21-Aug-14 06:20:31

I hope they have stopped the harassment. You can see where the children get their behaviour from.

PedantMarina Thu 21-Aug-14 06:13:45

How did the visit with the police go? Please tell us you didn't cancel it?...

PloddingDaily Tue 19-Aug-14 10:06:57

I'm sorry you're going through this, we've got some awful neighbours too & it can make you feel terrible. You did absolutely the right thing getting the police involved - people like this will just keep pushing until someone pushes back harder - which is what the police are for. It might also be worth checking whether your local council has an antisocial behaviour team, as they can work in partnership with the police.

Like pp's have said, log everything, report, report, report. The police gave us a ref number to quote when we called, so it was all linked. In the end we got cctv fitted, & after another flurry of abuse / aggression (which the cameras proved) the police were able to have some very blunt words with the horrible neighbours & things have quietened down. One last thing - If you think there may be any reason this could be a 'hate crime' mention that to the police too - it gives them more weight to use I think.

Best of luck & heartfelt sympathy - it's awful when you feel stuck living next to aggressive arseholes! Just remember they are the ones with the problem, not you! thanks & wine.

eddielizzard Tue 19-Aug-14 07:49:44

start writing every incident down. tell the police EVERYTHING.

to do nothing will not make them stop. you have to be heavy handed so they see you coming and they run the other way. seriously. you have to make it not worth their while. and if that means doing whatever the police say, do it.

and your dh needs his head examined. he's quite happy for his children's lives to be a misery? and you're overreacting even though you're a prisoner in your own home?

how about your dh take a day off and watch what happens?

ChasedByBees Tue 19-Aug-14 07:44:06

Don't give up! Report this too. It's the only way it'll stop and you are protecting your children.

Icelollycraving Tue 19-Aug-14 07:28:12

Yanbu. Is there any chance it's rented or HA as they won't want hassley tenants.
Poor ds. Poor you,that must be really frightening. Ignore them (hard I know) & let the police know exactly what they've done. I suspect it's not the first time.

gimcrack Tue 19-Aug-14 07:11:36

You can see where the kids get it from.

You're doing the right thing. Your poor DS and DD, it's not fair.

gimcrack Tue 19-Aug-14 07:10:36


Don't give up op. Sorry you're going through this but you're doing the right thing

TestingTestingWonTooFree Tue 19-Aug-14 06:13:17

Witness intimidation is a crime in itself and is usually treated seriously. I don't think you should back down, try and stay strong!

TheMaddHugger Tue 19-Aug-14 06:04:08

bullies only understand one fucking thing. That's someone that stands up to them.

Don't back down.

Bring the War.

* knowledge by experience.

MyLegIsHaunted Tue 19-Aug-14 03:29:22

You've done the right thing. Your poor little ds had his bone broken by these kids. Unacceptable.
Let the police handle it now, just keep reporting any more incidents to them.
I know what it's like to feel trapped in my own house by people like this so thanks

Selks Mon 18-Aug-14 23:24:03

Unfortunately you have to see this through now. If you give up, the neighbours will know and will feel that they can do whatever they like - they will make your lives hell.
If they live in a council or housing association property do put in a complaint about them to the housing office. There is often quite a bit they can do.

Whereisegg Mon 18-Aug-14 23:10:47

Yy keep ringing 101!
Your poor ds and dd cake

HangingBasketCase Mon 18-Aug-14 23:10:14

I'd have rung the police again as soon as this moronic chav threatened you on your door step.

Do not let this scummy family get away with this.

MiscellaneousAssortment Mon 18-Aug-14 23:04:50

I think you need to phone the police about this threatening behaviour rather than just wait til Tuesday - though it's a bit late now.

The police may think you're not that scared unless you keep reporting these things at the time. You need to make sure that you're reporting things in the right way to get as much help as possible, these people sound like bullying thugs who will continue to bully if they think it's working.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 18-Aug-14 22:57:16

You really must let the police deal with this otherwise it will continue and get worse.

justmyview Mon 18-Aug-14 22:55:33

Poor you, that sounds grim. Are the horrible neighbours renting their house? If so, it may be worth reporting to the landlord. In Scotland, landlords have to register with their local authority. If they fail to address anti-social behaviour (eg by evicting the tenants) then it could make it harder to keep their landlord registration. This can give the landlord an incentive to take action. Is there something similar where you are?

gamerchick Mon 18-Aug-14 22:54:52

It doesn't matter now they won't leave you alone if you drop it.

Tell The police everything and they'll get quite stern with them. Then everything after that, ring them up. Let the police do their jobs.

Waltermittythesequel Mon 18-Aug-14 22:53:38

You have told them now so there's no point in worrying about it!

But you must see it through. Tell the police of the further intimidation. I'm sorry that you and your dc are going through this.

Goldmandra Mon 18-Aug-14 22:51:30

I think that telling the police to back off would be the worst thing you could do. It tells them that they can do whatever they like and get away with it.

Have you contacted them today about the intimidation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now