Advanced search

AIBU to not be registered with a GP?

(150 Posts)
JSachs Sat 26-Jul-14 11:34:40

Firstly, I am not a UK or EU citizen.

I am here on a contract to work for a couple of years and then will see where things go from there.

I am not registered with an NHS GP for various reasons that I won't get into.

I have only one concern that I hope someone will be able to clarify for me-

What happens if I fall sick and can't go to work? Is it only an NHS GP who can provide a sick note or fit to work certificate? Or can private doctors also do that?

I don't have any concerns about getting treatment when I am sick as I can afford private care. I am only concerned about the employment aspect- is there like a legal requirement for people to be registered with an NHS surgery?

CoffeeTea103 Sat 26-Jul-14 11:42:43

Am in the same position as you although have been here for a number of years now. We registered with NHS when we got here, it was a requirement, but have never used it as have private healthcare and prefer that. We use private doctors notes and it's perfectly acceptable.

JSachs Sat 26-Jul-14 11:45:02

Hi CoffeeTea! That's really helpful, thank you.

However when you say requirement what do you mean? Was it your employer's requirement or an immigration requirement?

Also, if you don't mind my asking what part of UK are you in? I am Scotland, don't know if that makes a difference?

Secretsquirrel13 Sat 26-Jul-14 11:49:55

But what happens if you need a referral to a specialist who writes the referral letter if you don't have a gp?

JSachs Sat 26-Jul-14 11:52:31

^I will cross that bridge when I come to it (if I do).

I make regular visits to my home country and my doctor is there. I get all my annual check-ups etc. done at when I go back home.

I am only asking about the employment side of things. My concern is if I will be able to get a private sick note accepted in Scotland.

Wantsunshine Sat 26-Jul-14 11:56:34

You can just use a private GP if you need a referral. I am registered with an NHS one I think but only ever use private ones. They cost about £75 for an appointment but you get half an hour and they are really good.

JSachs Sat 26-Jul-14 12:04:19

Does anyone know whether all private doctors even provide sick notes?

I called the Bupa hotline and they said they weren't sure. confused

If anyone has any recommended private GP practices in scotland, then please message me!

LadyRubyPenhaligon Sat 26-Jul-14 12:08:37

You could just seen an nhs GP and pay for a private sick note- couldn't you?
What if you fall over and break your arm in the next half hour, how do you access emergency healthcare if you're not registered with the NHS? I'm just curious as to how it works. Would you not be better registering with a gp practice as a patient who is not entitled to free care and so they just bill you? Am I missing the point entirely here??

Bellabutterfly2014 Sat 26-Jul-14 12:10:14

I would check on the home office website. I know if you hold a tier 2 or a tier 4 student visa you can access nhs services but you have to supply your passport and visa to register and your police registration certificate if you are from a country required to register within 7 days of being in the UK. I know from working as a PA to a manager that our sick notes have to be signed by a member of the GMC ( general medical council) to be valid but you can get these from an nhs go or a private consultant. It would be worth checking what you are entitled to, why pay if you don't have to!!!!

specialsubject Sat 26-Jul-14 12:10:18

no requirement to register, and you may not be eligible to use the NHS anyway.

what is your travel insurance situation on your trips home? If you buy UK insurance, it usually requires UK GP registration and will repatriate you back to the UK if needed. That may not be right for you.

OneLittleToddleTerror Sat 26-Jul-14 12:10:40

It is not a requirement to use the NHS. I know someone who used to work for a city law firm as a foreigner and they have a private GP in the same building that is the preferred supplier for their healthcare needs. All appointments are same day, no queues, etc. She raved about it. If she fell very ill I assume they will be referred to a private hospital? They have insurance. She now works for the company in New York.

Unless you have an arrangement like this, I think you should at least register in case something goes wrong.

OneLittleToddleTerror Sat 26-Jul-14 12:12:15

If you work here, you are entitled to use the NHS. I worked with lots of foreigners when at university.

It is not linked to nationality. My ILs are born and bred Brommies living in NZ. They aren't entitled when they came and visit. They have to pay our GP for consultation.

Soggysandpit Sat 26-Jul-14 12:12:28

Any doctor can give you a private sick note and it is up to your employer whether they accept it. Private doctors can also issue a med3 which is what is needed if your employer is wanting to claim back SSP but some may refuse or claim they don't have them.

JSachs Sat 26-Jul-14 12:26:19

I know I am entitled to NHS treatment, I just prefer not to use it for personal reasons.

If I fell over and was run by a car, I suppose they wouldn't hold it against me that I didn't register and would likely not leave me on the road to die. hmm

JSachs Sat 26-Jul-14 12:27:29

why would I need travel insurance when I return to my home country? I don't have travel insurance as I do not require it.

Bellabutterfly2014 Sat 26-Jul-14 12:40:23

I think as you say, healthcare is down to personal preference but if it was me, I would register with an nhs gp so that in an emergency you could go to them in the event you desperately needed an appointment and couldn't get a private one for whatever reason, then you're covered.

I work with lots of different nationalities and my friend from Qatar says he thinks this is best, his wife also had a baby here and got a good midwife referral to the hospital etc as their healthcare didn't cover her going in to give birth and was going to cost thousands.

JSachs Sat 26-Jul-14 12:44:37

in the event you desperately needed an appointment and couldn't get a private one for whatever reason

I appreciate the advice but the above is very unlikely to happen. The opposite is a lot more likely to occur.

As you said, healthcare is down to personal choice. My choice is to not register with the NHS.

I was only enquiring about the possible impact in case I can't get to work due to being sick.

LadyRubyPenhaligon Sat 26-Jul-14 12:49:28

OP I think your view on this is slightly skewed, emergency nhs appointments are freely available through all day health clinics and walk in centres. it's routine planned appointments that are hard to get but in your case you could then use a private dr.

Bellabutterfly2014 Sat 26-Jul-14 12:57:31

When I said "emergency", I meant like if you collapsed and needed an ambulance anytime, it's good to be registered and also if you went away for the weekend and felt unwell and needed a doctor you could just call 111 and get an immediate referral.
As my mum says, always plan for worst case scenario and have a plan b!!! That's all I meant. The nhs are stretched in some areas but at 34 I can honestly say myself and all my family have always had good service in the East Midlands area.

JSachs Sat 26-Jul-14 13:06:05

Like I said, I'm happy with my decision and it's an informed one.

Please let's keep the discussion restricted to my actual question!

OwlCapone Sat 26-Jul-14 13:09:42

Like I said, I'm happy with my decision and it's an informed one.

So why are you asking if you are being unreasonable?

Please let's keep the discussion restricted to my actual question!

Which one? Whether you are unreasonable not to register with a GP or the completely different question in your OP?

Bunbaker Sat 26-Jul-14 13:15:21

"If I fell over and was run by a car, I suppose they wouldn't hold it against me that I didn't register and would likely not leave me on the road to die."

Of course you wouldn't be left, but an ambulance would take you to an NHS hospital as it is the default option here.

I am curious to know what you have against the NHS.

TeWiSavesTheDay Sat 26-Jul-14 13:22:19

I think you would get a better sneer in employment, legal or general health - I have no idea.

Are you registered with any kind of GP in the UK? Because I think you might need to be in order to get a sick note, but I don't see any reason why it would have to be NHS.

TeWiSavesTheDay Sat 26-Jul-14 13:22:48

Bah!! Not sneer, answer. Bloody phone, sorry.

TheAmazingZebraOnWheels Sat 26-Jul-14 13:25:03

Emergency treatment is free at the point of need for anyone regardless of whether or not they are entitled to use the NHS. I'm not sure if it's then chargeable to people who aren't entitled to use it but that's not relevant in the OP's situation because as a habitually resident person you're entitled to free NHS care.
I personally believe however that you should register with an NHS GP and are doing yourself a disservice not to. What if in an emergency situation you couldn't afford to pay for private? Say you were seriously ill and needed to see an NHS GP because you couldn't afford your private GP due to losing your job or whatever.
But I have to say OP your thread makes me uncomfortable, like you are bashing the NHS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now