Talk

Advanced search

To think the singing in Frozen is terrible

(81 Posts)
mumski Sat 12-Jul-14 22:50:04

Ok so it's great film, good story my kids love it BUT whoever they picked to sing are flipin aweful. Screechy, nasel twang and shouty. Such a shame as the songs are (as we all know) are really good. Next time you hear the songs close your eyes and actually listen to the voices.... ouch!
shock

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 12-Jul-14 22:51:23

Let it go, let it go

SiennaBlake Sat 12-Jul-14 22:52:50

I do find some of the high bits in let it go are a bit screechy. I have it on a playlist with her version of defying gravity and there's a bit of a contrast.

But, the singing never bothers me anyway.

Pagwatch Sat 12-Jul-14 22:53:22

I think Idina Menzel is great. I don't think she suddenly became bad in Frozen.

MajesticWhine Sat 12-Jul-14 22:54:30

YABVU

steff13 Sat 12-Jul-14 22:55:01

Idina Menzel is fantastic.

MrsBungle Sat 12-Jul-14 22:55:28

I think the songs are fabulous and sung very well!

SquigglySquid Sat 12-Jul-14 22:56:13

Idina Menzel is fantastic.

This.

fishchipsandmayonnaise Sat 12-Jul-14 22:56:28

Oh my god, yabMASSIVELYu!! The singing is brilliant! It is the only thing in the world that will keep my 1yo entertained for more than 30 seconds!

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP, YOU MUST NOT BAD MOUTH FROZEN!!!! angry

steff13 Sat 12-Jul-14 22:58:13

I think Kristen Bell is surprisingly good, too.

rempy Sat 12-Jul-14 22:59:38

YANBU.

It's ghastly. Like a second tier Glee, or a "not quite on the West End, just round the corner" musical.

Dire.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 12-Jul-14 23:03:22

Well I guess if you think one if Broadway's leading ladies & the original Elphaba is awful I guess that's your opinion.

I actually prefer Willemijn Verkaik (who sings the German language version & is another Elphaba) but that's not to say Idina is bad. She's just a bit samey.

Finney2 Sat 12-Jul-14 23:06:46

rempy Idina Menzel has done both Glee and the West End (and Broadway).

I think they're all brilliant. Well, I did the first 30 times. It's starting to grate a bit now tbh. grin

rempy Sat 12-Jul-14 23:31:14

Really??

Really really?

She's shocking............

mathanxiety Sat 12-Jul-14 23:49:46

YANBU and the songs themselves are imo cliches, musically speaking -- almost Eurovisionesque. Very nasal singing and quite squawky in places. I also thought Menzel's voice sounded too old for the character.

ohdearitshappeningtome Sat 12-Jul-14 23:52:08

Doesn't Demi lovato sing let it go originally anyway and idina only sings it because it's her characters song?

steff13 Sat 12-Jul-14 23:53:59

Idina Menzel was also in the orginal cast of Rent.

PatriciaHolm Sat 12-Jul-14 23:56:13

Idina Menzel is amazing.

slithytove Sun 13-Jul-14 00:00:20

I think idina and kristen are good singers.

Not sure about some of the others, and some of the songs were pointless and dire.

MyFairyKing Sun 13-Jul-14 00:49:58

Let it go was written with Idina in mind. I think she is fabulous as is Kristen.

TakeMeUpTheNorthMountain Sun 13-Jul-14 01:22:54

The world where someone thinks idina menzel is not a good singer is not a world g want to live in anymore..

For gods sake op, she is Elphaba!!!!!

SiennaBlake Sun 13-Jul-14 01:36:55

Demi lovato sings the single version that accompanies the film. They do that for quite a few disney films. Aladdin and a whole new world. Beauty and the beast with a tale as old as time. Idina sings it originally though.

ConstableOdo Sun 13-Jul-14 04:17:36

I didn't have a problem with Adele Dazeem's (sorry, Idina Menzel's) singing performance at the Oscars - she belted it out and it worked well. In the film I don't think she's particularly nasal or twangy.

The song is your standard four-chord votewinner that has worked for three bajillion musicians since the beginning of time, including Disney once before (Can You Feel The Love Tonight) - check out Axis of Awesome's Four Chords vid, because it's the same chords.

There is a wider issue here though... how many people here are unable to sit through shows like the Voice/X-Factor because people just over-sing everything and can't work their way through the ebb and flow of a song? Sometimes the pudding's not so much over-egged as made entirely out of egg, with extra egg, and egg garnish, and egg sauce.

Tangential rant, anyway.

ConstableOdo Sun 13-Jul-14 04:18:19

Should have linked: www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ&feature=kp

CheerfulYank Sun 13-Jul-14 05:00:23

Yabu! shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: