Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you know the signs of sepsis?

(146 Posts)
SE13Mummy Sat 28-Jun-14 23:16:08

This news story has been in the press, on the radio/TV this week because Sam, the son of friends of ours, died of sepsis. He shouldn't have.

Chatting to other friends, it seems as though very many people have never heard of sepsis although most are aware of the symptoms of meningitis. One of the reasons the Morrish family have gone public with their experience is to raise awareness of sepsis; Sam wouldn't have died if he'd received antibiotics.

The Sepsis Trust has lots of information, including this symptoms checklist.

sleepsforwimps2010 Sat 28-Jun-14 23:29:47

I didn't, but will make sure everyone I know in my family sees the checklist!
thanks for the link.

Jinsei Sat 28-Jun-14 23:32:52

Thanks for the link. I didn't know the symptoms.

I'm so sorry about your friend's son.

2kidsintow Sat 28-Jun-14 23:39:25

Thankyou for the link. What a gorgeous little boy, who I am sure is so sadly missed.

One of the Mums who went to the playgroup I took my own dd to woke one morning to find a rash on her legs. She died later the same day from sepsis. So quick and so sad.

Littlemisssunshine72 Sat 28-Jun-14 23:39:34

Unfortunately, II do. I am so sorry about your friend's son. My father died from this 2 years ago. He went into hospital with a broken leg and fought infection after infection but sepsis got the better of him. Similarly, if they had realised he had a urinary infection in time, they could have given him antibiotics in time.
It is preventable.

JerseySpud Sat 28-Jun-14 23:41:34

Yes i do as i went septic many years ago from an abcess under my arm/armpit.

Thankfully i was in hospital in time for it to be treated and went on severely strong anti biotics and was ill but im fine now

KiaOraOAotearoa Sat 28-Jun-14 23:51:07

Yes I do. sad
Bumping for others

CiderwithBuda Sat 28-Jun-14 23:57:45

I do. My dad had it two years ago. Thankfully he survived but it was touch and go. His kidneys almost failed. He gained three stone in a few days as his kidneys weren't working and he was retaining fluid.

He thought he had flu initially.

fusspot66 Sat 28-Jun-14 23:59:32

Thank you. Shared

QuailLegs Sun 29-Jun-14 00:00:20

So sorry to hear about your friend and thank you for posting the symptoms - I hadn't heard of it. Maybe MNHQ could make it a sticky?

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 29-Jun-14 00:02:14

I do as I'm a paeds nurse but I'm surprised at the amount of people who think there must be a rash for them to seek medical help when a rash is a very late sign

coralgrimes Sun 29-Jun-14 00:02:19

yes I do , I had it last year a week after EMCS. Was terrifying. Didn't realise the severity of it until a midwife told me.

Nalia Sun 29-Jun-14 00:11:21

I'm so sorry about your friend's son.

Other things people should also know symptoms of:
- Stroke
- Depression
- Venous thrombosis
- Heart attack
- Anaphylactic shock

coralgrimes Sun 29-Jun-14 00:21:55

i didn't realise it wasn't well heard of. My nan had it twice and we nearly lost her both times. Thank you for this, I will be sharing. So sorry about your friends son.

In my case I believe the hospital never took on board how ill I was at first. I was left to look after DD alone whilst having violent shaking episodes and having a temperature of 40 but feeling stone cold. i called the alarm twice begging for help to change dd but was told off as they were busy. i had to change and feed her whilst attached to a drip sad Only when a junior Dr saw me she called my DP to come in to care for dd. She couldn't believe I'd been left in that state.

bouquetofpencils Sun 29-Jun-14 00:30:24

Shared on my FB page. Thank you for posting.

Glitterfeet Sun 29-Jun-14 00:41:18

I nearly lost one of my children from it. He was just over a year and and became ill over night, it seemed like just a normal winter infection. In the morning he was worse, had a tiny odd rash but it didn't seem like an emergency. I went to work and my husband took the morning off to take him to the doctors. I was expecting a call saying it was a normal childhood illness and that we were being silly, instead I was told to get to A&E straight away. It took him a couple of hours to go completely downhill and the rash to cover him. Luckily a doctor put him on broad spectrum antibiotics while they were running tests.

Sorry for you friends loss.

Selks Sun 29-Jun-14 00:44:42

Is sepsis the same thing as septicaemia?

Selks Sun 29-Jun-14 00:45:31

So sorry for the loss of little Sam; terrible.

mumtobetothree Sun 29-Jun-14 02:06:00

I do, I had it from a dental abscess, I don't think I've ever been/felt so ill in my life.

What a beautiful little boy, my heart goes out to his family, and I'm sure his passing has touched everyone that knew him greatly sad

Sleep tight Sam xx

FabULouse Sun 29-Jun-14 06:27:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Marylou62 Sun 29-Jun-14 08:52:08

Sorry for all your losses....hard when it could have been treated. My DH who is never ill had flu...or so I thought (am x nurse), bed dripping wet, shaking and moaning. After 3 days he seemed to get a bit better...or so I thought. Turns out he was septic with facial cellulitis and was hospitalized for 5 days. Caused by a small scratch on his forehead! We were very lucky we were told. He looked like an extra from Star Wars! We were told it was shingles by a locum but I 'knew' it was serious so argued with him. Good job I did as we were told they got antibiotics in to him just in time. Shocking....

Chimchar Sun 29-Jun-14 09:09:53

So sorry for the loss of your friends little boy. He looks adorable.

I lost my Mum to sepsis. I only found out much more about it after she died. She was sent home from hospital when she had it, with no diagnosis and died hours later.

It is an awful thing. Glad you are raising the awareness of it.

SE13Mummy Sun 29-Jun-14 19:56:29

Bumping for Sunday evening readers.

Latara Sun 29-Jun-14 20:01:52

YANBU for raising awareness of sepsis.

I'm very aware of it as I work in a hospital and our ward teaching display is on sepsis at present - I have seen a lot of people with sepsis / infections in the past.

I'm glad to say that on my ward everyone is very on the ball about it - anyone with a suspected infection and certain symptoms is given a septic screen and treated if they do have sepsis.

Theonlyoneiknow Sun 29-Jun-14 20:03:03

So sorry to hear about Sam sad

DD was admitted with suspected septicaemia last year. I knew the signs she was admitted straight away. Her temp was 40c, but her limbs and extremities were ice cold and she had very mottled skin and was very sleepy.

They were fantastic and put an IV line in straight away with antibiotics. They said they didn't know if she had septicaemia but would treat her as if she did because she had many of the symptoms. Fortunately the blood tests came back negative and she was discharged the next day, much better.

I wrote to the hospital to thank them for their prompt actions as they really were great, although she didn't have septicaemia it certainly looked like it and they didn't waste time.

So sorry again for your friends loss x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now