Advanced search

To think if the landlord can afford private school they can afford to fix the damp in this flat?

(165 Posts)
weatherall Thu 26-Jun-14 12:38:21

Or maybe they're getting a bursary and not declaring the rental income.

I've just found out that LL's child is being sent to £10k private school next term.

I had previously had a bit of sympathy for her as she bought this flat at top of the market and is most def in negative equity now. Depending on deposit the rent we pay probably isn't much more than her repayment mortgage and la fees.

Structural work needs done eg damp proofing. We have been waiting months and have resigned ourselves to moving as it isn't going to happen. DP has asthma so we can't risk his health from another winter in this damp hole.

But now that her DC is going private I think, well she can afford to get the work done and is just being a s*** landlord.

The other possibility is that she is getting a bursary and possibly not declaring this income.

I assume ainbu to be p ed off.


Kick up a stink with the la?

Stop paying rent? I'm not going to do this, I think it would be unreasonable.

Report her to the school?

Report her to the school for what? Being shitty LL?

Just look for somewhere else to live and give her notice when you find somewhere. Some landlords are just shitty regardless of their financial situation.

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Thu 26-Jun-14 12:44:35

It's none of your business whether her child is going to private school or not. She could be driving a Bentley around and it still wouldn't make a difference to what she should do on the property.

If the property is not fit for you being in there, then move.

APlaceInTheSummer Thu 26-Jun-14 12:48:50

YANBU to be annoyed that you are living in a damp house.

YABU to think it has any connection to your LL's dc going to private school. A relative could be paying the school fees. Or, as you say, she could have a bursary. Even if she was declaring the flat and the income, if her expenses mean she isn't making much profit then she could still qualify for a bursary. Plus, not all bursuries are means-tested. Some are awarded on merit and don't consider income at all.

I don't think there is anything to report to the school.

If you are going to move anyway because of the dampness then I'd put in writing that you are going to move if remediation work doesn't start within a set period of time. If the effects of the dampness can be mitigated by using a dehumidifier, then get some costings for renting one and put in your letter that if the dampness isn't treated then you will deduct the cost of the dehumidifier from your rent. All of these points will bring the issue to crisis point but if you're thinking of leaving anyway then I don't see what you have to lose.

NigellasDealer Thu 26-Jun-14 12:50:12

it is a total non sequiter tbh

pinkdelight Thu 26-Jun-14 12:50:32

Unfortunately the fact that they're paying for private education is probably precisely what means they can't afford to fix up the flat. And won't be able to for the forseeable. Is is bad enough to make the place uninhabitable? Is the LL breaking any laws/rules by not fixing it? If not, then I don't know what you can do other than give notice and move out. Whether you're sympathetic to her situation or not is really of no consequence to her. And where she educates her kid is really of no consequence to you. It's a business relationship, conduct it on those terms - take her to task if you're able, otherwise, take your money elsewhere.

wafflyversatile Thu 26-Jun-14 12:51:41

Contact your council's environmental health dept.

MaidOfStars Thu 26-Jun-14 12:51:44

Report her to the school?

This made me smile. I am simply baffled at what you might say.

Kick up a stink with the la?

This is, of course, the action you should take. Or move out.

MaidOfStars Thu 26-Jun-14 12:52:12

^assuming "la" is "letting agent", not "local authority" or some other body.

Icelollycraving Thu 26-Jun-14 12:54:09

Move. Seriously,it is irrelevant where her child goes to school. She is being foolish to not care for a property or her tenants but the schooling is nothing to do with you.

goats Thu 26-Jun-14 12:55:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KirjavaTheCat Thu 26-Jun-14 12:56:45

You need to talk to environmental health. They'll force her to fix the damp.

wafflyversatile Thu 26-Jun-14 12:59:12

How come my flag has reappeared on this thread. It's gone on others. confused angry

apermanentheadache Thu 26-Jun-14 13:03:52

The two issues are unconnected. But if the LL is paying for expensive school fees than yes, I can see how you would be narked.

Landlords should pay for remedial work where there is a health or safety hazard in their property. They can be required to do so by the local authority.

To those saying 'just move out'..well, it's not always that easy and it's also costly. However, there is no quick, practical solution that's going to result in speedy resolution and so moving is perhaps the only option.

If it's just a question of recalcitrant uncaring landlord, then the LA can exert pressure but she may then just give you notice sad

JassyRadlett Thu 26-Jun-14 13:05:12

She doesn't have a responsibility to her child to send them to private schhool - she has a responsibility to fix your substandard flat regardless of whatever financial situation she may be in. Otherwise she needs to accept that she can't afford to run her business effectively.

Honestly, I do think the school fees are a slight red herring but I can see why they've enraged you. Landlords in this country get away with the most ridiculous abuses.

I'd contact the letting agent to insist on a written undertaking of when the works would start; contact environmental health for an assessment of the situation, and start house hunting. It's grim that you have to do that last one, the system is so unfair.

apermanentheadache Thu 26-Jun-14 13:05:43

And don't stop paying rent - you are right that this is usually not a good option.

Shelter gives good advice on issues like this.

AgaPanthers Thu 26-Jun-14 13:06:32

"^assuming "la" is "letting agent", not "local authority" or some other body"


Why do you think the Letting Agent would give a fuck about the tenant?

AgaPanthers Thu 26-Jun-14 13:08:50

The private school is a red herring entirely.

The landlord has a responsibility to you. It doesn't matter if they are in negative equity or not making money, they have a legal duty to make the house habitable.

You shouldn't concern yourself with your their pathetic bleats about how little money they are making. They must fulfil their obligations, regardless of how much it costs them.

If you go in with that attitude then you will be much better off.

weatherall Thu 26-Jun-14 13:09:44

I know the school.

There are no non means tested scholarships.

The bursary policy prohibits having a second home.

Either she is defrauding the bursary system (thereby stopping an eligible child from taking a place) or has £10 to spare from next term.

It is the fraud I could report.

I doubt there are rich grandparents paying fees as she is a migrant worker from Poland.

I had sympathy for her before, as I thought she was too broke to afford the repairs. Now I'm annoyed as this can't be true.

SaucyJack Thu 26-Jun-14 13:10:03

YANBU. If you ordered a 12" inch Hawaiian pizza from the high street but the owner decided they wanted to save costs so sent you a dry pizza base instead, then you'd be pissed off and they'd be in the small claims cost.

If you paid a tradesperson to re-tile your bathroom but they decided to save costs by sticking Frosties boxes to the wall instead, then you'd be pissed off and they'd be in the small claims court.

I have absolutely no clue whatsofuckingever why it's seen as legal and acceptable for people who are in the business of providing safe and habitable homes to take your money and keep it without giving their customers the service they've paid for.

specialsubject Thu 26-Jun-14 13:10:57

not paying rent will get you evicted for lease breach.

what she does with her money is nothing to do with you. But if the place really is damp from structural problems (as it sounds), give notice and leave. Then it is no longer your problem and you are no longer giving money to live somewhere unsuitable.

I keep saying - don't rent dumps.

APlaceInTheSummer Thu 26-Jun-14 13:10:59

apermanentheadache I think posters advised moving because the OP said she had resigned herself to moving.

specialsubject Thu 26-Jun-14 13:12:24

ps as you've clearly done quite a lot of investigation already, you could report to the school that you are the tenant of this person, if that is the second home that they mean.

careeristbitchnigel Thu 26-Jun-14 13:12:28

My DD will be going to a private school when she leaves primary. My parents are paying for it, we certainly can't afford that sort of money.
Perhaps this is the case for your landlord. Maybe her DD is on a scholarship or bursary. Maybe she's been left some money specifically for her DDs education. Maybe her father is paying for it.

One thing's for sure. It's none of your business

whatsthatcomingoverthehill Thu 26-Jun-14 13:13:34

Of for goodness sake, stop wondering about her financial position, it is none of your business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now