Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think there should be an 'edit post' facility on Mumsnet?

(33 Posts)
Pumpkinpositive Wed 18-Jun-14 15:30:37

At least for the OP. Even if the edit preserved the initial post via a strikethrough strikethrough option, so posters could read the initial post and the edited version.

So often I see OPs being pulverised by Johnny Come Latelies to a thread, when OP has long accepted they were wrong and done a complete 180 degree about turn on their original position.

But latecomers to the thread often seem to read only the OP and - if you're lucky - first few pages, before getting stuck in. I'm probably as guilty of it as anyone and it's totally understandable with threads that run to a gazillion pages.

I think a nice little 'I surrender' flag would make a good addition to the OP.

So AIBU? grin

AmenGirl Wed 18-Jun-14 15:33:35

Haha love the flag idea. Yes agree YANBU an editing option would be great, especially for spelling mistakes/corrections.

Bearbehind Wed 18-Jun-14 15:37:08

I agree but for different reasons.

I don't think that the lazy/ arrogant arses who don't bother RTFT should get a 'buy' to justify them not reading it- what's the point in them contributing at all in that scenario?

I will never understand what someone who posts about 4 pages into a thread without bothering to read everything else, thinks they are adding hmm do they really think their view point is so unique/ important that there's no chance it's been mentioned before?

I do think it would be a good thing to allow you to correct typos that make you look like a twat though grin

Serenitysutton Wed 18-Jun-14 15:40:04

Edit would be great just for mistakes. Also don't understand why you can't quote, pretty basic feature

softlysoftly Wed 18-Jun-14 15:45:52

Edit for spelling mistakes I would totally support but I would wantoto see the original or people could go back and dig themselves out of the shit amend and deny what they said making a thread impossible to follow.

Pumpkinpositive Wed 18-Jun-14 15:47:07

I don't think that the lazy/ arrogant arses who don't bother RTFT should get a 'buy' to justify them not reading it- what's the point in them contributing at all in that scenario

I see what you're saying but it can be incredibly distressing for an OP who has had the grace to admit they're wrong - that is what AIBU is there for after all, to get a different perspective on an issue - and then have to wait through pages and pages of dogs abuse because posters have not read through the full 112 pages of the thread.

Obviously, they should but easy to see why they don't.

I do like the idea of being able to correct spelling errors in the OP, especially if you can only strikethrough and amend rather than delete and replace.

So you'd get "AM I BEING UNREADONABLE UNREASONABLE TO SAY YOUR YOU'RE A BICH BITCH" as your thread title. grin

Pumpkinpositive Wed 18-Jun-14 15:49:20

Edit for spelling mistakes I would totally support but I would wantoto see the original or people could go back and dig themselves out of the shit amend and deny what they said making a thread impossible to follow

Well, a strikethrough facility for amendments, rather than deletions would allow you to see the original in all its gory glory.

It's called 'Trace' in MS Word, isn't it?

Bearbehind Wed 18-Jun-14 15:49:51

TBH, I don't think the people who continue to post shit after an OP has admitted they were BU, would read an edit anyway so there's not much point.

Bearbehind Wed 18-Jun-14 15:52:44

Obviously, they should but easy to see why they don't.

I just don't get that- why is it 'easy to see why they don't'?

It drives me insane when people say 'I haven't read the thread but...'

What exactly do they think they have to offer that no one else has?

Pumpkinpositive Wed 18-Jun-14 15:53:20

TBH, I don't think the people who continue to post shit after an OP has admitted they were BU, would read an edit anyway so there's not much point.

I would! Sometimes it's not that I haven't read the full thread from start to finish, but just that I've missed the OP falling on their sword in amongst the detritus 10k other posts in the thread.

I still like my little surrender flag idea. sad

Paddingtonthebear Wed 18-Jun-14 15:54:16

I used to be on a site, many years ago, where you could edit but only for about two mins after your original post

SarcyMare Wed 18-Jun-14 15:55:53

i fully agree, and to allow them to correct any bits that have been mis understood.
I love the white flag

CeliaLytton Wed 18-Jun-14 15:58:27

It wouldn't work because conversations move so quickly, so you would get three posters agreeing with someone who could then go back and reword their post and turns out they are racist or some such.

Would be fine if people just used it for spelling/grammar mistakes to avoid the pedants but it would not be.

Love the I Surrender flag though!

ViviPru Wed 18-Jun-14 16:02:36

but just that I've missed the OP falling on their sword in amongst the detritus 10k other posts in the thread.

That's why it should be more obvious how to highlight the OPs posts in a different colour. It astounds me how few people realise this is possible. Generally, I try to always RTFT before posting, and can honestly say I never post without at least reading all of the OPs posts.

FourForksAche Wed 18-Jun-14 16:03:48

A forum I used to be on would let you edit wit a time limit of a minute, I think. Short enough time not to be able to mess up threads.

Pumpkinpositive Wed 18-Jun-14 16:03:49

It wouldn't work because conversations move so quickly, so you would get three posters agreeing with someone who could then go back and reword their post and turns out they are racist or some such.

That's why I'm suggesting strike through. And also the "edited post" notice you get on Facebook. And maybe a maximum of three edits per thread/day.

And maybe a choice between a surrender flag and a surrender monkey.

I will confess to feeling a little limited by the range of emoticons on Mumsnet. All too often there is no suitable smiley to convey the rich texture do my emotional palate. envy

Pumpkinpositive Wed 18-Jun-14 16:05:49

That's why it should be more obvious how to highlight the OPs posts in a different colour. It astounds me how few people realise this is possible.

Before I knew how to do this, I gave a poster a serve for being very rude to the OP.

The poster was the OP. blush

Serenitysutton Wed 18-Jun-14 16:07:14

It works on other high traffic sites - there is just a message to say "thread edited by x at x time" if anyone quoted them the unedited post remains within their post though.

Lucked Wed 18-Jun-14 16:07:59

On other sites you can usually tell a post has been edited as it will say at the bottom. Most poster will the add at the bottom edited for spelling etc.

I think sometimes people disclose too much, personal details etc which mnhq have to pull. Also on names threads people could say surname is Robertson, please don't quote as I will edit later. Rather than saying three syllable r name.

sillystring Wed 18-Jun-14 16:12:28

Digital Spy is so much easier to navigate and post on than this place. It bugs me that you can't quote or edit.

U2TheEdge Wed 18-Jun-14 16:12:43

Yes. I want an edit feature.

On another website I belong to you get five minutes to edit your post. This stops you editing a whole post if someone picks you up on something but it is long enough to fix mistakes and add something you may have forgotten.

I also hate that we don't have a quote feature. This is the only forum I have been on that doesn't have one. It is so much easier to click quote without bolding or typing the OP's name out.

Makes it so much easier to read. I hate scrolling back to see why a poster is replying to goodytwoshoes and what goodtwoshoes said in the first place.

MrsWinnibago Wed 18-Jun-14 16:13:05

HOW do you highlight OPs posts?? shock

losingmybelt Wed 18-Jun-14 16:16:59

I think an edit feature would be a good idea. Also would be good to be able to quote somebody (unless there already is one and I haven't worked out to use it yet).

Pumpkinpositive Wed 18-Jun-14 16:47:04

HOW do you highlight OPs posts??

I used to know this. confused

And you can highlight your own.

ViviPru Wed 18-Jun-14 16:57:11

The poster was the OP grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now