Advanced search

To make my children wear masks when entering and leaving our home?

(47 Posts)
AsbestosFlatly Tue 22-Apr-14 14:45:24

I live in a 2nd floor flat and its well known that all the halls have asbestos.

Theres a guy drilling all round the edges of the ceiling to install emergency lighting.

I told him about the asbestos, he said he didnt know about it but will hoover up the mess and get himself a mask. hmm

Ive called my agency and they are getting back to me.

But even with him vaccuming, the floor is still totally covered in dust. Im tempted to get the kids masks for now and going out there myself tonight and washing the floor.


softlysoftly Tue 22-Apr-14 14:47:22

Erm that's awful, probably yes to masks and maybe call environmental health?

ouryve Tue 22-Apr-14 14:49:57

Who owns or manages the building? I'd be giving them a call, as well as environmental health.

Custardo Tue 22-Apr-14 14:50:55

why wouldnt you get on the phone to environmental health and the health and dsafety executive immediatley?

noblegiraffe Tue 22-Apr-14 14:51:46

Crikey, don't deal with it yourself, that's not a good idea.

I'd be leaving and not going back until it's been sorted.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 22-Apr-14 14:52:23

I didn't think you could disturb asbestos! I would be calling environmental health.

Cocolepew Tue 22-Apr-14 14:53:10

Definitely call environmental health!

SanityClause Tue 22-Apr-14 15:03:48

Call environmental health.

We were once doing up a house, and one of the contractors managed to throw asbestos rubble into the NDN garden. He called environmental health, and the whole site had to be shut down, and a we had to engage someone to safely remove and dispose of the asbestos.

We were mortified at what had happened to the NDN - no one should have asbestos raining down into their garden!

intheenddotcom Tue 22-Apr-14 16:14:46

Call Environmental Health - there are special precautions that need to be taken when disturbing asbestos.

If it is in the air then it can get into your flat, so I'd personally be out of there.

thereisnoeleventeen Tue 22-Apr-14 17:04:08

Environmental health, council, DC's school (to see if they have contacts like a home school link worker that can help), MP...I'd be on the phone to all of them tbh. Asbestos removal is a specialist business and cost a fortune for a reason. In it's dust form it is particularly lethal.

I would be making a HUGE fuss.

LindaMcCartneySausage Tue 22-Apr-14 17:07:11

Call environmental health right now. Asbestos containing materials should be labeled as such with notices saying it is not to be touched.

Masks won't help much unless you were them 24/7 for months. Asbestos fibres are tiny and longer in the air. If the material has been disturbed it will continue shedding fibres. It needs to be professionally removed or contained.

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Tue 22-Apr-14 17:08:49

Gosh, surely the guy doing the drilling is putting himself at huge risk? Is he a neighbour or a contractor? Not a chance would I mess about with asbestos under any circumstances. Can you go stay somewhere else with the kids, OP? And yy to phoning anyone you can get hold of today.

DocDaneeka Tue 22-Apr-14 17:11:13

Get the fuck out and call the council.

Don't even consider going back, and really really don't try to clean yourself.

Only takes one single invisibly tiny fibre to cause the cancers.

ToomuchIsBackOnBootcamp Tue 22-Apr-14 17:14:38

As someone who lost a relative to asbestos caused lung cancer last year, please please do not try to deal with this yourself. Call the appropriate agencies and try to be elsewhere when they deal with it. Horrible stuff, very dangerous.

AsbestosFlatly Tue 22-Apr-14 17:28:19

Right, Ive been given mixed information where I am.

The managing agent have said that its 'low grade' asbestos. That its in the paint on the ceiling, rather than part of the actual ceiling.

However, he has still drilled into it, and all the halls are still covered in it, as are all the mats out the front of each home and is being walked into each and every home. hmm

I google it and funnily enough I find absolutely nothing saying that its ok to drill into this paint.

Quite the opposite.

We have just bought the asbestos report upstairs and we are reading through it.

Either way, will be calling environmental heal tomorrow.

WestieMamma Tue 22-Apr-14 17:40:41

I'll show DH this thread when he gets home in an hour or so. He's a chemistry prof specialising in industrial materials and may be able to give you some advise.

WestieMamma Tue 22-Apr-14 17:41:12

* advice

AsbestosFlatly Tue 22-Apr-14 18:02:01

WestieMama that would be really appreciated.

If it helps towards the info he needs, its score 2 Amphiboles excluding crociodilte.

We reas how the guy was supposed to be working, since its asbestos and he has done non of it.

Which is no suprise since he had no idea it was asbestos in the fist place.
Theres dust all outside my door, inside my door, on our shoes.....

FabULouse Tue 22-Apr-14 18:41:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheCraicDealer Tue 22-Apr-14 18:51:37

If it's low grade asbestos then it probably doesn't need to be a licensed contractor doing the work, however, they do need to carry out the maintainence within the framework outlined by the HSE. Here is the most relevant link to the HSE guidelines. Although it's not high risk (comparatively) it would be of massive concern to me that this guy is just going drilling willy nilly with no apparent knowledge of the material he's dealing with! Complain, complain, complain.

AsbestosFlatly Tue 22-Apr-14 19:09:47

I will be doing all of that. I will be calling them first thing in the morning, presumably they wont be open now?

And the paper work says he does need to be licensed contractor, but presumably he is? As in, hes an official electrian?

<has bo idea what a licensed contractor actually is>

TheCraicDealer Tue 22-Apr-14 19:26:43

A licensed contractor is someone who has a licence to remove and dispose of asbestos and associated materials, they're often also demolition specialists but not always. The industry is highly regulated which is why you need a licence to do the medium to high-grade stuff. This FAQ page might clear up some of your questions and help give you some amo!

WestieMamma Tue 22-Apr-14 19:28:41

DH says to contact the local authority and the HSE asap to cover both bases and make sure you tell them it is an occupied building. The work should have been licensed as it is most likely sprayed on asbestos which is high risk if disturbed.

In the meantime:

1. DO NOT use a vacuum on the dust as this will make the asbestos dust worse.

2. Don't sweep or dust it. If you need to get it off something use a damp cloth so it doesn't get airborne.

3. Change shoes at the door so you don't walk it into you house.

4. If you can, dampen the dusty surfaces with a plant water sprayer as the danger is when it's dry and airborne

5. Do not let him carry on if he comes back tomorrow. If necessary call the police until the slower moving authorities get jnto gear.

AsbestosFlatly Tue 22-Apr-14 19:37:17

Fucking hell.

Right thats scary and useful, thank you. I mean, I can spray thats fine but every stair and floor is totally covered in dust.

This is terrible of the managing agents.

AsbestosFlatly Tue 22-Apr-14 19:41:19

Ive just left a message with the out of hours environmental health. Apparently the listen to the messages and help the same night if they think it needs it. If not it goes to those working in the office the following day.

So I guess they can do with that, what they will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now