Talk

Advanced search

To drink alcohol on antibiotics that say avoid alcohol?

(119 Posts)
MummaRumma Thu 17-Apr-14 16:29:59

I got some metronidazole antibiotics and it says avoid alcohol.
Does that mean even 1 solitary glass of wine is not allowed? What will happen to me?
If I'm not allowed, how on earth do I get through a family filled Easter weekend!?!?
I did not think this damned bv infection through

YouTheCat Thu 17-Apr-14 16:32:05

You will be very very ill if you have any alcohol with those. And do not drink for 48 hours after finishing them either.

JuniperTisane Thu 17-Apr-14 16:32:17

NHS advice I really really wouldn't. You will regret it.

DaleyBum Thu 17-Apr-14 16:33:11

You'll really be ill. Not worth it for a glass of wine.

Bugsylugs Thu 17-Apr-14 16:33:48

Absolutely you cannot have alcohol. Will make you feel unwell vomit etc.
You can however take 2 grams ie 5 times 400mg tablets as a single dose. Then probably ok to drink Saturday

ShakeYourTailFeathers Thu 17-Apr-14 16:34:17

As far as i understand it you'll be as sick as a dog.

I once had a funny GA/booze reaction. Not pleasant.

ReluctantCamper Thu 17-Apr-14 16:35:11

yup, don't do it. When I took that the doc told me not to even walk past a pub!

SauvignonBlanche Thu 17-Apr-14 16:36:07

If it was any other antibiotic then I would, but not metronidazole, you will vomit for sure.

noddyholder Thu 17-Apr-14 16:37:19

No better to be well!

Bunbaker Thu 17-Apr-14 16:37:52

"If I'm not allowed, how on earth do I get through a family filled Easter weekend!?!?"

Please don't be silly, and of course you will get through the weekend without any alcohol.

PrincessTheresaofLiechtenstein Thu 17-Apr-14 16:38:03

On the plus side, if you do drink with those, then you won't have to be able to see your family as you will be rather poorly

magichandles Thu 17-Apr-14 16:39:13

You see, I was prescribed metronidazole and my gastroenterologist said it was fine to have a glass or two (of champagne - he's pretty posh) as I was going on a hen weekend.

It was only on the hen weekend that I was chatting to one of the girls who was a nurse who looked horrified and was half expecting me to be vomiting into my glass, but I was fine, no side effects at all.

Bluestocking Thu 17-Apr-14 16:39:21

Surely if you're ill enough for ABs, you're ill enough to avoid any part of a family-filled weekend that will cause you any stress?wink

PoundingTheStreets Thu 17-Apr-14 16:39:44

A quick google just came up with:

Metronidazole is believed to have the ability to block the body's breakdown of alcohol, leading to an accumulation of a substance called acetaldehyde in the bloodstream.
Theoretically, this may occur within 10 minutes of ingestion of alcohol and may last several hours.
It is said to be characterised by intense flushing, breathlessness, headache, increased or irregular heart rate, low blood pressure, nausea and vomiting.
This possible reaction is dangerous because it is so unpredictable and may be extremely severe.
Although there has been little in the way of published pharmacological evidence to support this interaction with alcohol.

So you'd probably be absolutely fine just a little bit more drunk than normal, but you could end up very ill and die.

I wouldn't chance it personally just for the sake of a drink.

MaidOfStars Thu 17-Apr-14 16:40:51

Nope, the one antibiotic group that you don't break the rules for.

NotMrsTumble Thu 17-Apr-14 16:42:14

Specifically came onto thread to say don't do it if it's metro - & now see it is, & that others have beaten me to it.

Really, don't, not even a sip. I'm told its sometimes given to recovering alcoholics to help keep them "on the wagon" as even a sip will make you as sick as a dog.

Not worth it. If you think you won't enjoy Easter weekend without a glass of wine, you'll enjoy it even less puking up your chocolate eggs.

murasaki Thu 17-Apr-14 16:44:28

My doc told me that it contains the same ingredient as antabuse, so vom ahoy. I took him at his word, and left a 24 hour gap afterwards too (would have been longer, but hey, it was XMas eve).

Didn't want to risk it as a mate of mine had practically vommed up their own insides after thinking they knew best. They didn't.

CheeryName Thu 17-Apr-14 16:45:41

I've just reset my password and everything to get back on Mumsnet to say DON'T DO IT. It's what they put in Antabuse to help alcoholics.

My pharmacist was v explicit that you can't even use mouthwash (most types have alcohol in) when taking or within 48 hours of taking this.

Really really really don't do it. Have extra chocolate this weekend instead and store up your wine points for another time!

ChestyNut Thu 17-Apr-14 17:09:30

Most definitely stay away from alcohol unless your your idea of a fun filled weekend is bonding with the toilet.

3littlefrogs Thu 17-Apr-14 17:22:34

Seriously. Don't do it.
You will feel so ill you will want to lie down and die.

WitchWay Thu 17-Apr-14 17:26:44

Metronidazole is the only antibiotic where you must avoid alcohol. It is related chemically to Antabuse (stops alcoholics drinking as they feel so shit). You will puke your guts up if you drink on it.

Bugsylugs Thu 17-Apr-14 17:26:48

Do take the 2 grams as a single dose then you can have treatment and fun.
Look it up in big for treatment of bv

Willabywallaby Thu 17-Apr-14 17:27:59

Another one saying please don't, it's the only one I know that you really can't.

trikken Thu 17-Apr-14 17:29:00

I wouldn't risk it.

nikki1978 Thu 17-Apr-14 17:30:05

It's pretty sad that you can't have one weekend without booze OP. Not worth the risk at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now