Talk

Advanced search

Young Cheerleading

(65 Posts)
BerniesBurneze Tue 08-Apr-14 22:09:42

I guess this is going to be a controversial topic, but I can't help feel cheerleading for under 10s is weirdly inappropriate. (Although watching 13 year olds do it isn't much better)

Genuinely not after a bun fight, I'm curious if I am in the minority or not! AIBU?

parakeet Tue 08-Apr-14 22:11:30

This goes on at my children's primary school - just for the girls, natch. I really want to tell them to think again on this.

wheresthelight Tue 08-Apr-14 22:13:18

I guess it depends on the "uniforms"

The act itself is pretty much gymnastics with a bit more flare ime, what gets my goat is the skimpy outfits. But assuming that primary schools get kids yo do it in their normal pe kit I am not sure I see the problem tbh

Hulababy Tue 08-Apr-14 22:15:27

My 8yo niece does cheerleading. Doesn't seem odd at all for her to be doing it though. It is very much like gymnastics - similar moves and agility required ime. There is nothing inappropriate in what her cheer group do. They have a big national competition soon, and some of the older girls (secondary age) are off to the US too.

Hulababy Tue 08-Apr-14 22:17:57

Her cheer group wear shorts and t-shirts, and a zip hoodie as their "uniform" - specific ones, not generic own choice. But definitely not inappropriate at all. They also have special cheer shoes an training bags. The big bow in their hair is the only fancy bit tbh.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 08-Apr-14 22:18:32

I did it age 9-11, there is nothing wrong with it!

Bloody hell, gymnastics is usually done in a leotard, ballet in leotards and almost see through wraps. confused

EEasterChick Tue 08-Apr-14 22:23:33

I think it's not so much the activity in itself which clearly requires a lot of skill and fitness. It's the roots of cheerleading, girls leading the applause for boys, who are doing the real sports. I would be very unhappy with this being offered to my DDs. Do boys cheerlead?

Wantsunshine Tue 08-Apr-14 22:27:37

Boys in the US do cheerleading so it's not necessarily sexist. Cheerleading is the sport that has the highest amount of injuries too and considered the most dangerous. Quite surprising when you look at what ice hockey players get up to

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 08-Apr-14 22:30:57

Boys do cheerlead, we had a couple where I did it.

Hulababy Tue 08-Apr-14 22:33:42

Yes - boys can cheerlead.

LongPieceofString Tue 08-Apr-14 22:39:41

I know boys can do cheerleading but it must be a tiny proportion.

I see it as encouraging girls to be accessories while boys do the 'real' activity, no way would I encourage my DC to take part.

consideringadoption84 Tue 08-Apr-14 22:43:06

I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

Activity wise and outfit wise it's no different to gymnastics or dance.

Boys can and do participate.

It may have its routes in being an accessory to 'real' sports but it that is certainly not the case any more. It's a serious and highly competitive sport in its own right.

consideringadoption84 Tue 08-Apr-14 22:43:35

eek! roots not routes!

Wantsunshine Tue 08-Apr-14 22:43:55

Quite a lot of boys from the wrestling teams and gymnastics take part in cheerleading due to the strength required. Cheerleaders do also cheer for the girls teams too.

caroldecker Tue 08-Apr-14 22:44:45

geroge bush was a cheerleader at university

SchroSawMargeryDaw Tue 08-Apr-14 22:45:14

FWIW, most places do it to compete, not to actually cheer people on (unless you are in the US, who also have massive competitions).

And cheerleading is a bloody dangerous sport and recognised as such by most, I don't think anyone except people who have never had any experience with it at all think any different.

90sthrowback Tue 08-Apr-14 22:45:59

"I know boys can do cheerleading but it must be a tiny proportion." - you could say the same about ballet / disco dancing etc. In DDs dance school there are 40 dancers, about 20 who compete regularly - there are 2 boys, one who competes.

I do agree re the origins of cheerleading though

RevoltingPeasant Tue 08-Apr-14 22:47:49

I grew up in the US and although there were male cheerleaders at university or professional levels, at the majority of high schools it was very much a girl thing. So yes, my high school had a girl-only cheer squad who came on before the boys' (American) football team.

Cheerleading is quite cool when you see it done at a serious level in competition but it does have sexist roots and I would think carefully about the set up before I encouraged a daughter of mine to get involved.

TheZeeTeam Tue 08-Apr-14 22:50:23

Boys don't cheer in our local cheerleading squad until High School. The girls start from 6 onwards.

DD does it and it's so much more involved than I was expecting. It's basically another form of gym and dance. In fact, I'm waiting outside cheer practice as I type! The cheering the boys' football team is just a (rather pointless) sideline. Although, they definitely get the crowd going a little when we all get bored.

kittykarate Tue 08-Apr-14 22:55:21

My problem with cheerleading is when it gets to the professional US sports like the NFL, and the dancing and athleticism seems secondary to how they'd look in a bikini www.dolphinscheerleaders.com/cheerleader-showdown

kittykarate Tue 08-Apr-14 22:56:50

And now I'm left singing "Dance 10, Looks 3" from A Chorus Line

LongPieceofString Tue 08-Apr-14 22:57:28

I've never encouraged DD or DS to take up dancing either mind you, I don't like activities where what you look like matters. Especially where it's one that thinks girls should be 'pretty'.

almondcake Tue 08-Apr-14 22:57:50

Both DS and DD used to cheerlead at primary. DD is considering doing it again at a private class now she's older. Neither of them have ever cheered in support of some other group.

TheZeeTeam Tue 08-Apr-14 23:05:13

almond We're in the US. The cheerleaders definitely cheer here!!

JohnCusacksWife Tue 08-Apr-14 23:05:53

OP I so agree with you. One of my DDs best friends does it and she is an amazing little athlete - so talented. BUT when it comes to competitions she has to have a spray tan, false eyelashes, heavy makeup etc. She is 7 years old and, to me, it is just so inappropriate. What message is that sending out to young girls? You can be as talented as you like but unless you confirm to a trashy physical image you won't win?? Although according to her mum "it's just a bit of fun and she loves getting glammed up" hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now