Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think you don't take 2 small boys to the 8.30pm showing of a 12A film

(17 Posts)
17leftfeet Sat 05-Apr-14 23:20:12

Hoiking my judgey pants right up here

Went to the cinema this evening to see captain America which I get is a superhero film so people might think its ok but these boys must have been around 5&7 years old

They weren't frightened by everyone being beaten up, guns constantly being fired and massive explosions but they were quite obviously bored, couldn't follow the plot and kept getting up and down and talking

Plus it finished at ten to eleven!

Grr!

brokenhearted55a Sat 05-Apr-14 23:25:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThePinkOcelot Sat 05-Apr-14 23:26:49

Yanbu. Far too late.

almondcake Sat 05-Apr-14 23:31:43

I took a four year old to an evening showing of Harry Potter. His aunt wanted to go with him and she worked weekends. He didn't distract anyone. There are cinemas that have showings for over 18s only, regardless of the film rating.

fayrae Sat 05-Apr-14 23:32:23

12A should be banned. Just have a "10" certificate instead. Or just make it a straight "12" instead. Does the 12 certificate even still exist in cinemas?

brokenhearted55a Sat 05-Apr-14 23:33:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fayrae Sat 05-Apr-14 23:34:26

Part of the problem is down to the film companies marketing films to small children with toys, fast food tie ins etc, despite the films really not being suitable for them. I remember one of my colleagues took his pre-school son to see the first Spiderman movie (the Tobey MaGuire one, this was a few years ago). He was absolutely terrified and they had to leave after 30 minutes or so.

thebody Sat 05-Apr-14 23:34:32

It's the behaviour of the children not the age.

I have been in cinemas with fucking annoying teens/adults talking and eating loudly.

As long as they shut the fuck up I don't care otherwise I complain.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 05-Apr-14 23:34:46

Had the same when we went to see Les Mis

almondcake Sat 05-Apr-14 23:37:02

Fayrae, I think what happened was that they introduced the 12, Spiderman was given a 12, lots of parents complained, so 12 became 12a. Some 12a films do carry warnings that the film is not suitable for under 8s (lord of the rings) but you can still take them in. I don't know if Captain America carried that warning.

fayrae Sat 05-Apr-14 23:37:20

I honestly don't know what some people go to the cinema for. They clearly aren't interested in the film, and spend most of the time looking at their phone, talking and eating. It's not like it's a cheap thing to do these days either, especially at the IMAX cinema!

almondcake Sat 05-Apr-14 23:42:10

Brokenhearted, it was a brand new cinema that we knew would be virtually empty as well. My sister's friend worked there.

Sometimes there are day showings where kids are going to get stressed and probably shouldn't go - the crowds when the new star wars films came out.

I think it depends on context, location, film and child.

YouTheCat Sat 05-Apr-14 23:42:31

Some people would do that no matter where they go because they are ignorant and their children grow up with no idea and no manners because of them.

We went to see Captain America last week and there were no kids in the audience at all. Everyone there was there to watch the film and it was blissful.

I agree about the certification - a 12 should be just that.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 06-Apr-14 01:00:16

Yabu

It isn't their age or the time the film finished that is the problem.

Yanbu to think that parents should be more considerate of others at the cinema (regardless of the time of day or age of their children) and consider whether their children are able to actually enjoy the viewing. If not, wait for the DVD.

I rarely go to the cinema. The fact I will definitely need the bathroom plus all the other people eating/moving/talking/checking their phones means I rarely if ever go to the cinema. I prefer to wait for the DVD. Don't even have children yet.

AveryJessup Sun 06-Apr-14 03:40:59

Ha ha - I can beat that OP. When DH and I went to see Django Unchained last year there was a couple a few rows in front of us with a 2-year old in her stroller. This was a 9pm showing. We had hired a babysitter to go out for the evening and were looking at each other thinking 'why'd we bother? Next time we'll just take DS along!'

Except that would be mental...

fayrae Sun 06-Apr-14 04:49:32

Surely Django wasn't rated 12A, was it?

Sirzy Sun 06-Apr-14 06:56:01

What is the point of having the 12a rating if such young children are allowed in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now