Talk

Advanced search

What is considered acceptable when buying a flat

(24 Posts)
MariaF88 Fri 04-Apr-14 16:05:08

I am hoping to buy a one bedroom flat on the ground - unfortunately there is a communal clothes line to the back and this evidently is the most ugly eyesore and people are permitted to leave their clothes on it all day and night.

Secondly, there is an elevated area to the front of the flat that is being deemed as a communal footpath, however the windows to the living room open out and has the potential for injury besides it allows for no privacy whatsoever.

Would appreciate some advice

Thanks so much

PartyFops Fri 04-Apr-14 16:07:24

My advice is don't buy it. Sounds as if it will always annoy you.

Lilaclily Fri 04-Apr-14 16:08:19

doesn't sound a good option

splasheeny Fri 04-Apr-14 16:08:54

I would think that if you bought the flat and told the neighbours they couldn't dry their clothes or use the communal pathway then you would become pretty unpopular. The deeds will say what counts as communal space and not.

Lagos Fri 04-Apr-14 16:08:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Burren Fri 04-Apr-14 16:12:01

So your view is horrible both front and back, with minimal privacy? I'd say keep looking. We lived in a raised ground floor London flat for years, and even though it was in rundown terrace in a cheap, grimy area on a main road, we looked out across a small gravelled area with a rose bush and creepers onto trees at the front, and onto apple trees at the back.

You can do better, surely? What's good about the flat?

MariaF88 Fri 04-Apr-14 16:15:28

The location its very much in Central London and with fantastic access routes and the interior is very well maintained coupled with overall price.

MamaPain Fri 04-Apr-14 16:19:19

Then you need to work out what you are prepared to compromise on.

Personally, I don't think either of the 2 are changeable. Stopping people frond dying their clothes in a communal space will most likely not be an option and cause ructions with neighbours.

Living in a flat you soon realise getting on with neighbours is one of the most important things.

caroldecker Fri 04-Apr-14 16:24:10

It's cheap for the area and decor because of the issues - your choice

specialsubject Fri 04-Apr-14 16:26:53

since when was washing an eyesore?

antimatter Fri 04-Apr-14 16:30:24

if area is for communal use you can't dictate how it can be used
stretch yourself a bit and buy a place which hasn't got those problems
smile

Preciousbane Fri 04-Apr-14 16:35:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackforGood Fri 04-Apr-14 16:37:14

Agree with mamapain - you need to work out what you will compromise on.
Seeing other people's washing?
Paying more?
A longer commute?
This isn't the flat for you, it doesn't sound, but, with London prices being as ridiculous as they are, you aren't going to get your 'dream flat' so you need to focus on what is and what isn't a necessity and what is on your 'well, it would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker' list.

kentishgirl Fri 04-Apr-14 16:40:41

If you get a ground floor flat in a building with communal outside areas, you are always going to have these problems with something. Where I am the car park is right next to someone's flat - when you are sitting in the front of your car you are looking right into their living room or bedroom window. Nothing you can do about it. The last people put up venetian blinds. On the other side there is a path running to the drying area that goes right past the windows of other flats.
It's no different to having a house that opens straight on to the pavement. Some people can live with it, some people can't. I wouldn't want to, myself.

sparechange Fri 04-Apr-14 16:42:56

Privacy is sort-able with a £5 roll of frosting film from B&Q, but it sounds like having people all around you might prickle a bit.

If it is central, then you are paying a premium for location. Looking further out will probably find you something that has a bit more privacy. Although outside space in central London is very rare...

magpiegin Fri 04-Apr-14 16:43:01

As others have said you have to decide what is important to you. We have just bought a house with a rubbish garden on a main road BUT the positives far outweigh the negatives! Unless you have a blank cheque to buy there will always be compromises but you need to decide what is important.

WooWooOwl Fri 04-Apr-14 16:45:16

What advice do you actually need? The flat is what it is, you just have to decide if you will be able to put up with people being right outside your windows quite often, or if it will irritate you too much.

Personally, I wouldn't like it. I'd have to have net or voile curtains, but those annoy me too.

neiljames77 Fri 04-Apr-14 16:50:05

I bet what you're paying for that flat would get you a brand new 4/5 bed detached house in my town. I'll never understand the fascination of living in central London.

sparechange Fri 04-Apr-14 16:52:43

neil, I will never understand why anyone would want to live in a new build, but it is all part of life's rich tapestry...

MariaF88 Fri 04-Apr-14 16:53:03

Lived in London all my life - last opportunity as prices soar and work commitments means there are limited options with fares to London also ridiculous

Thanks everyone.

vickibee Fri 04-Apr-14 16:59:45

Put a link on so we can have a look

neiljames77 Fri 04-Apr-14 17:02:43

She won't want to do that. You might gazump her.

vickibee Fri 04-Apr-14 17:04:02

Doubt it aim 250 miles away in yorkshire

Pipbin Fri 04-Apr-14 17:08:28

I agree with wanting a link.
If you really hate it don't buy it. There is a lot to be said for renting. I understand though that the housing market is lightning fast in London.

If I was you I would be seriously considering leaving London and having a complete lifestyle change. There is life outside the capital you know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now