Talk

Advanced search

To wonder when I'm going to have a proper poo!

(31 Posts)
EvaBeaversProtege Fri 04-Apr-14 10:59:35

I so wanted to put bowel movement in the title but it seemed very proper and twee blush

I am not the poo troll, I am a regular user with the misfortune of having a double whammy of inflictions this week!

I am the unfortunate bearer of kidney stones which I am waiting to pass (hospitalised at beginning of week) and when they x-rayed me at the hospital they discovered I also had chronic constipation (impacted bowel was also used but that sounds awful)

I hadn't had a poo since Saturday when they x-rayed me on Monday.

I was given pain killers for stones & lactulose for bowels.

On wednesday I still hadn't went so I visited my own doctor who took urine sample, blood still present so stone almost likely not passed yet & give me different tablets (peppermint) capsules to help with constipation.

I had 2 small round bowel movements on Wednesday night.

Yesterday a friend told me to try movical - I have had 4 sachets of it yesterday as well as about 40ml of lactulose.

Still.no.poo.

I am so bloated, feel incredibly uncomfortable.

AIBU to feel totally fucked off? And I'm signed off work so on sofa in pain. probably just as well as the methane may obliterate my colleagues

Anyone any ideas to get me going?

IHaveSeenMyHat Fri 04-Apr-14 11:03:09

Keep up with the Movicol, it WILL work and it's much better than Lactulose.

From experience, it can take a few days to work, but before you know it you'll be shitting through the eye of a needle...

Forgettable Fri 04-Apr-14 11:05:28

You need glycerine suppositories, get from any pharmacy, to soften from below, make it easier to pass the initial block. Keep on with the movicol too.

Stay close to the loo. Sit with feet up on a small stool* or a thick book.

*yes yes v funny!

t3rr3gl35 Fri 04-Apr-14 11:07:36

Handful of raw nuts hits the places Movicol and lactulose don't reach. Brazil, peanuts or almonds all work very well..something to do with fibre plus high oil content. Drink loads of fluids especially if you're taking painkillers containing codeine as these help bung your system up.

Kidney stones are just the pits, you'll know when they pass, feels like you're peeing gravel and the intense pain in your side/back quickly reverts to dull ache.

Cuddle in to a hot water bottle in the meantime. brew

BumPotato Fri 04-Apr-14 11:11:02

Coffee and a cigar(ette)?

My friend used to swear by peanuts.

For me it is a large glass of prune juice very first thing.

You must be feeling lousy, I hope you're better soon.

Nottalotta Fri 04-Apr-14 11:14:47

Double sauasage and egg mcmuffin breakfast with large latte does it for me.

EvaBeaversProtege Fri 04-Apr-14 11:15:56

Aw thanks for the sympathy! It's a long day at home alone wallowing in self pity smile

I'll try the nuts & I ordered shopping to be delivered this afternoon which contains prune juice.

I have had a black coffee this morning & wholemeal toast.

I normally follow the slimming world plan & thought I had enough fibre in my diet, but it seems not.

I have been taking cranberry juice for the kidney stone so this might help too.

EvaBeaversProtege Fri 04-Apr-14 11:17:04

I read that nuts contribute to kidney stones?

Probably not true in my case as I last had nuts in December 2012.

Forgettable Fri 04-Apr-14 11:18:04

Anecotally - avoid weetabix and banana

Don't ask me how I know

t3rr3gl35 Fri 04-Apr-14 11:21:48

EvaBeaversProtege - high protein in diet can be a contributory factor and nuts are high in protein. As with all foods, it's a case of balance and a handful of nuts on occasion in an otherwise well balanced diet is pretty unlikely to cause kidney stones.

EvaBeaversProtege Fri 04-Apr-14 11:22:29

How do you know ? wink come on, I'm home alone, I need to know.

I had 2 weetabix yesterday morning. No banana though.

Have ordered fruit & fibre in groceries [puke]

t3rr3gl35 Fri 04-Apr-14 11:23:00

Forgettable can't answer about Weetabix but I've been advised to avoid banana due the constipatory effect.

Nohootingchickenssleeping Fri 04-Apr-14 11:29:39

Actually, bananas make me move, so does coffee. You will get there. Drink plenty of water, this will help both problems. And have a deep heat patch ready for your kidneys.

MoominIsEightNinthsManatee Fri 04-Apr-14 11:30:50

I've got bowel issues from previous surgery so when I'm really blocked up I use lactulose (although I do tend to ignore the 'suggested dose' blush ), Laxido sachets dissolved into orange squash and lots and lots of fruit.

Although the other day nothing was shifting it (so to speak blush ), went on the hunt for a quick relief - turns out ASDA's own constipation relief tablets work surprisingly well!

brokenhearted55a Fri 04-Apr-14 11:32:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IamaBreastfeedingTramp Fri 04-Apr-14 11:32:42

I'm reliably told that the following are 'shit stoppers'

banana
rice
eggs
mango

hth and good luck!

Marylou2 Fri 04-Apr-14 11:47:18

Try abdominal massage. Lie on the bed or floor with knees bent and feet flat on the bed/floor.Put the fingers of your left hand firmly under your ribcage on the left side. Massage your abdomen firmly with your right hand in a clockwise direction for at least 3 minutes. Works really well.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 04-Apr-14 11:51:47

All Bran kept me going during pregnancy. Its not nice but it works. I found that adding dried banana chips (or other dried fruit) made it palatable. Drink lots with it.

Deathwatchbeetle Fri 04-Apr-14 11:57:30

My mum had problems going poo all her life. We used to joke it would take gunpowder to shift Actually she used to find that Mango helped her go.it. She had chemo ad radiotherapy for cancer of the colon and since thendoes not 'feel' when she is about to go. Apparently, according to the carers, she has made up for lost time!

EvaBeaversProtege Fri 04-Apr-14 12:48:00

Oh, your poor wee mammy smile

I just had a small movement, woohoo.

Nothing big, a small little poo but it was difficult to push out. I was also burning when I wee'd and was bleeding (front) when I wiped, so hoping the stone has moved/passed.

Letsgoforawalk Fri 04-Apr-14 13:11:26

Glad you are starting to go. You need plenty of fluids, movicol is good, take the maximum amount that it says you can take on the package.
Docusate might be a good thing too, but movicol should do it unless you are on strong painkillers (codeine? )
Prunes, prune juice also good. Try to move around a bit, go for a brisk walk if you are able. Make sure you are in the right position on the toilet. (google it, there are pictures!)
to prevent it getting so bad again you could try increasing the amount of fibre you have in your regular diet:
get some more insoluble fibre into your diet by eating foods containing bran, wholemeal bread etc. (regular fybogel is good too as it is a fibre supplement) the addition of this type of fibre must be accompanied by lots of water or it could all backfire spectacularly. It adds bulk to the stool which means the gut has the message that it is there and gets moving. But if it is dry it will not be so good so you need to drink loads.
Eat plenty of fruit, leave the skin on to get the insoluble fibre from that too.
Soluble fibre helps to keep everything soft and it comes from fruit too, lentils and the like, vegtetables and oats.
Different things work for different people, there is some good advice about fibre and how to get it into your diet in a book called 'how to eat well when you have cancer'. by Jane Freeman. I think she has excellent detailed advice about avoiding constipation.

good luck

EvaBeaversProtege Fri 04-Apr-14 20:13:27

After 4 more sachets of movical, 2 pints of pure OJ and some oranges I just had a poo smile

I still have stomach cramps so hopefully that's just the beginning of it...!!

londonrach Fri 04-Apr-14 20:20:20

Coke cola has amazing effect on me but I have ibs and when I need to go I need to go 5mins before and any toilet is mine. Hear that everyone! Seriously I used to have other way for ibs but has a clonic irrigation. I can't tell you the relief that gave still 6 years plus! Hope things have moved for you op.....

londonrach Fri 04-Apr-14 20:21:40

Have you been checked for uti as burning not good. X

BrokenToeOuch Fri 04-Apr-14 20:24:40

A couple of glasses of fresh Apple juice usually works for me if I'm a bit bunged up.
Though I see that you've just been. Stay home and prepare for Shitmageddon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now