Talk

Advanced search

to be fed up with low wages

(8 Posts)
samandi Fri 04-Apr-14 10:58:21

Sorry I know it's not a new topic! Just so fed up this week - I earn less now than I did fifteen years ago, despite years of study, accruing thousands of pounds worth of debt and giving up untold weekends to work and study, and can't see any way it's going to change :-(

Meanwhile friends and family around my age or a bit older are happily earning £40,000, £50,000, £60,000 or more ...

JeanSeberg Fri 04-Apr-14 13:40:15

Sorry to read this and unfortunately I don't know your back story so apologies if I'm going over old ground.

Are you working in the field you qualified in?

Lilaclily Fri 04-Apr-14 13:41:18

Was it because of a career break ?

angelos02 Fri 04-Apr-14 13:42:31

YANBU. Due to redundancy, I earn less now than I did 17 years ago. I used to have a good job and now earn the least in my organisation. I hate the way people assume I'm not educated or intelligent due to the job I do. It chips away at my self esteem each day and I can't see a way out of it.

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Fri 04-Apr-14 13:46:03

Wow, sounds like you had some seriously rubbish careers advise - or very bad luck.

I'm sure it will change eventually.

ProlificPenguin Fri 04-Apr-14 14:05:11

Have you checked the salary that your job attracts? Through recruitment agencies or online? If your salary isn't in line with that then ask your employer why?

If it is then you may have to accept that your friends jobs are different and pay differently.

samandi Fri 04-Apr-14 15:07:39

Hi, thanks for answers :-)

JeanSeberg - no, unfortunately it's quite a small field and I'm not in a position to relocate.

Lilaclily - no career break, just temporary contracts and periods with no work since I graduated several years ago.

angelos02 - sorry to hear that :-( can relate to the way it affects your self-esteem

ThinkAboutIt - hmm, I don't think I've ever had much serious careers advice. Lots of bad luck and unfortunate decisions probably :-(

ProlificPenguin - just in temporary work at the moment and yes, the pay is in line with the work I guess! Yes, friends have various different jobs, though the ones working in my field are doing ok with the possibility of moving up in the world at some not too distant point.

Topseyt Fri 04-Apr-14 15:41:46

I can relate to sooo much of this. We have no local family support network, so I took a long career break to bring up my three children when childcare costs would have more than cancelled out my salary. Hubby continued working in his day job to support us.

For as long as I can remember now I have been searching for suitable part time work, and would turn my hand to many things now, regardless. Much of that search time was during the recession though, adding to my woes.

I have done some part time casual work, but it was on a project that is now over.

I am hoping that now that the economy is beginning to recover (even if still a bit fragile) that I may have more of a chance again soon, but I do find that my age is now starting to count against me (47 now).

I hope you all find something you want soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now