Talk

Advanced search

To mow my lawn and cut my hedge at 7am this coming Sunday? (Slightly light hearted)

(25 Posts)
Ledkr Fri 04-Apr-14 09:41:16

My neighbours have been having a complete re build for a year now.
We had no summer in our garden as it was noisy and dusty and the builders were loud and sweaty.
They drilled through my wall and took weeks to fix it, no visit or apology from neighbours.
They noise at times has been dreadful to the point of having to go out as it distresses my partially deaf toddler who must hear the noise on a different level.
It seems that they have no concern whatsoever for us at all even though they know dh works nights at times.
So a few months ago at 7.45 on a Sunday morning the scaffolding went up for yet another job.
It woke us all up and apparently they can do this (I rang the council) the time for building work is apparently a "guideline"
So the scaffolding has stood their unused now for months then suddenly today, the first day of the Easter hols and my annual leave,they decided to start more noisy work, vibrating throughout the house waking us all up.
It's dreadful, we are going to have to go out.
I just texted dh to suggest a bit of gardening on Sunday morning grin

Ledkr Fri 04-Apr-14 09:41:46

Sweary not sweaty grin

MrGeresHamster Fri 04-Apr-14 09:43:42

YANBU at all. In fact, can you not start at six?

ThePearShapedToad Fri 04-Apr-14 09:44:22

Go for it!! grin

YouTheCat Fri 04-Apr-14 09:44:41

Would you be able to get the kids looked after/sleepover somewhere for a night and have a very loud party? Much more fun than gardening. wink

ThePearShapedToad Fri 04-Apr-14 09:46:27

Oh ooooh with a massive trampoline for the children and a couple of hundred balls you can just lob over their fence at random intervals.

Allergictoironing Fri 04-Apr-14 09:46:46

Yes YABU - you should be starting at 6am not 7am grin. Have you checked up the local regs on noise pollution, as that may be stricter?

Methe Fri 04-Apr-14 09:48:52

I think a 6m start sounds perfect! Any chance you can collude with your other neighbours and have a late night party on Saturday?

NCRegular Fri 04-Apr-14 09:51:32

Do you have other neighbours?

Ledkr Fri 04-Apr-14 09:54:16

We are planning some noisy and guilt free parties in the Summer tbh.
I'm a great neighbour, don't let the kids shriek or go out early etc, keep noise to a minimum but I'm free from that now.
My other neighbours would be with me so no worries there and I've already suggested revenge which they whole heartledly agree with.
Seriously I don't know how she can look me in the eye!

CerealMom Fri 04-Apr-14 10:26:52

Children shrieking in the garden in the evening. Just as they're settling down to enjoy the light (warmer) evenings with a nice dinner/BBQ/glass of wine. Repeat mid week after work and increase at weekends. Borrow children/relations if needs be. In fact, leave them a key for when you're out.

Do it. Do it for us, all the put upon neighbours out there.

Chattymummyhere Fri 04-Apr-14 10:52:57

Go for it just warn the nice ones first.

TrinityRhino Fri 04-Apr-14 10:56:20

maybe you need to get your dc a drum kit?

and obviously gardening needs to be done extremely loudly at 6am in Summer, don't you know that?

And it really is time to drill holes in the adjoining wall once every 5 mins for the 3 hundred pictures you haven't got round to hanging.

And don't forget the raves you're having for 45 mins every night at 2 am

grin

wishingitwasfriday Fri 04-Apr-14 10:57:37

Surely its time for the kids to start a band. Drums, violins etc.

Moreisnnogedag Fri 04-Apr-14 11:02:46

Ooh violins. Give one to a 4 yr old.

Seriously they didn't come round to apologise? Explain about the noise?

We're buying a place and am having to re-do the barn and have already planned on knocking on our nearest neighbours which are across a field to apologise in advance.

soontobeslendergirl Fri 04-Apr-14 11:02:49

B@rstewards.

I suggest setting up a rota to tap regularly and lightly on the party wall - like water dripping - whenever you know they are in. Late evening would be good, just as they are in bed and trying to drop off to sleep. Then every now and then randomly stop.............................then start again. It will drive them demented trying to work out what it is.

If you are going to have revenge, do it right! grin

gleegeek Fri 04-Apr-14 11:02:52

In total sympathy here. Last summer the joined on neighbours had building work which started in March and finished in October. They're having another extension built - starting in June!

I love the long summer holidays, don't work so am at home with the kids and want to be out in the garden, but it'll be dusty/noisy and not at all private.

However, on the whole they are good neighbours so we will suck it up again. But the scaffolding deliveries at sparrow'sfart do my head in!

Misspixietrix Fri 04-Apr-14 11:41:12

yTotally unreasonable to start at 6am! Start Mowing at 5am instead and declare your utilising all these daylight saving hours! grin

Misspixietrix Fri 04-Apr-14 11:43:36

Howling at 'Borrow Children' grin grin got visions of the OP randomly taking children from their gardens!

Draughts Fri 04-Apr-14 11:45:07

Oh I would be so tempted if I were you. How rude they are! My DS2 is partially deaf & wears hearing aids, noise associated to building works is excruciating for him.

Hope you have a lovely calm summer full of parties, bar-b-q's & happy loud children wink!

Dubjackeen Fri 04-Apr-14 11:45:18

YANBU add in a football being bashed at very repetitive intervals against their fence or wall. Stop it just long enough dot them to think its over, then start again...

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 04-Apr-14 11:46:43

YABU to consider doing this yourself
You need a huuuge , hairy, tattooed , noisy bloke (unless your DH fits the description, but it's better to borrow one ) and get him round at 6am with a noisy PETROL mower.

Have some sticks on the lawn for it to chew.
Make sure he sings (loudly and out of tune)

Be out for the day so when your NDN complain, he can say "I'm just doin' what that Ledkr asked " , shrug his hairy shoulders (in a vest of course) and crank up the mower again.

And a bonfire of course wink

Dubjackeen Fri 04-Apr-14 11:48:26

Sweary not sweaty
This made me laugh, OP. I was kinda wondering alright why the builders being sweaty was an issue grin

Weegiemum Fri 04-Apr-14 11:49:36

I'll lend you my dd1 (plays accordion) and ds (bagpipes) for the summer if you want!

Misspixietrix Sat 05-Apr-14 11:19:42

Dd has been given a recorder. Shall I send her round at 6am sharp OP? She's got the high pitched nail scratching note just right. grin <cries>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now