Talk

Advanced search

To think that workplaces turn people into strange beasts

(5 Posts)
cleofatra Fri 04-Apr-14 09:38:39

I have been in a variety of workplaces over my 28 years or so in employment and have come to the conclusion that there must be something in the water in most places that turns relatively normal people into monsters.
Today, I have spent the whole day watching a whole department in turmoil over a PD (prof development) roster. We have had all the favourites - aggressive emails, passive aggressives, tears, power trips, .
back stabbing, emails "over people's heads".
Going home, I am wondering why the hell anyone is bothered. In the big picture, such a tiny thing should never cause more than a flutter but this has been a huge and upsetting storm in a teacup.

What is it about workplaces that turns people into monsters?

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 04-Apr-14 09:42:39

Agree with you. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes overreacting about minor things. Think it comes down to people justifying their positions. My personal bug bear is people claiming my work as their own this drives me mad and I can't not point it out when really it causes more problems in the long run!

ThinkAboutItTomorrow Fri 04-Apr-14 10:00:38

I don't think it is workplaces, I think it is people. My workplace is by and large a great, supportive team environment. We only really gripe when people don't pull their weight, which is fair enough.

Given the tizz some people seem to get into about daft things on here I think minor workplace dramas are unsurprising.

Namechangeforamo Fri 04-Apr-14 11:14:43

Yanbu. I had known a girl for years. Been in her company socially quite a few times. Thought she was completely sound. She came to work in same place as me 3 years ago. I cannot stand her now!

Hoppinggreen Fri 04-Apr-14 11:25:19

I haven't worked in an office environment for years but I had to spend a day in one of my clients offices the other day - by about 4 o'clock I wanted to kill someone!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now