Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to tell you all that olbas oil feels like your skin is burning...

(16 Posts)
TheLostWinchesterWife Thu 03-Apr-14 23:46:49

Especially when it's on your thighs! Earlier this evening there was a smell of olbas oil in the air. DH thought I'd used b it for DCS I assumed it was him. Turns out DD1 (being assessed for ASD at the moment) had taken it upon herself to coat the toilet seat in said oil. I have just found this out v the hard way when I got into bed after performing v the nightly ritual and slowly my thighs and elsewhere have slowly started to feel like my skin is being barbecued! !!
Please tell me anything similar that's happened to you to make me feel slightly less of a pillock!!!!

LadyMaryLikesCake Thu 03-Apr-14 23:55:02

I know it's not funny, but grin

It wears off. You can use it to massage onto sore muscles so it's OK to put on skin (just not broken skin).

TheLostWinchesterWife Fri 04-Apr-14 00:08:43

Don't worry I can see the funny side grin I think b it was just the slowly not en sifting heat spreading acrossmy nether regions that was a bit perturbing. Plus I now have a lady garden that smells of menthol. I know.rubbing vicks on DCS feet stops them coughing. ..I shall update as to the health benefits of the 'olbas chuff' blush

TheLostWinchesterWife Fri 04-Apr-14 00:09:42

That should say intensifying heat not whatever that load of nonsense says...stupid phone.

LadyMaryLikesCake Fri 04-Apr-14 00:11:07

grin

It's a real pain when you've put some on your pillow and you've accidentally put your face on it while you've been sleeping. I feel your pain.

Acridbottomgravy Fri 04-Apr-14 00:30:34

There was a thing in the paper about how it can blind you if it gets in your eyes.

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 04-Apr-14 00:36:10

DO NOT under any circumstances try to inhale when drunk and poorly. I overdid the inhaling, my fault, my nasal passages hurt enough to offset the pain of sinusitis for a day or so. Don't dip your nose in the hot water/olbas mix. Five little well defined yellow spots on the end of your nose is not a good look.

LadyMaryLikesCake Fri 04-Apr-14 00:37:33

I have a couple of friends who snorted whiskey once. They only did it once. I don't think it was wise.

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 04-Apr-14 00:41:19

Arf! Yep. Think it's something every generation does, snorting spirits (was vodka in my day).

whojamaflip Fri 04-Apr-14 00:45:01

Dh rubbed Deep Heat into his poorly knee just before bed, didn't wash his hands and went to sleep.

I was wakened about an hour later by the sight and sound of him leaping round the bedroom clutching his bollocks which apparently were on fire - has had obviously been having a fumble in his sleep grin

I'm afraid I sat there and howled!! gringrin

LadyMaryLikesCake Fri 04-Apr-14 00:46:38

Oops! grin

Strandy Fri 04-Apr-14 04:39:22

My DS got it in his eye and I had to bring him to A&E. Terrifying! Awful stuff - keep away from kids (if possible, often not possible....)

Lj8893 Fri 04-Apr-14 05:11:16

Oh god this made me remember something I thought I had cleverly forgotten!!

When I was with my xp he gave me a massage using some body lotion, the massage naturally led to more and the next thing I know I'm screaming in pain and my fanjo is burning like mad, I had to have a cold shower. Turned out the body lotion contained ginger!!!

Not recommended folks!

angelinajelly Fri 04-Apr-14 07:43:33

Any essential oil will sting the fuck out of you if it gets in your eyes or mucous membranes, and rinsing with water won't help as they are not water soluble. You need to rinse with plain vegetable oil- olive, sweet almond, sunflower, whatever- to dilute it.

But olbas oil particularly is pretty potent stuff and I avoid it. One of the main ingredients- wintergreen- is actually banned from sale as a single essential oil in this country because of its potential toxicity. If you get hold of some lavender, tea tree and eucalyptus essential oils and use them in a blend instead, they will be just as effective and far gentler.

TheLostWinchesterWife Fri 04-Apr-14 09:02:56

Ooh angelina I shall try it!

sunshinemmum Fri 04-Apr-14 09:56:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now