Talk

Advanced search

To be fuming boss just rang me at 11pm

(19 Posts)
jojane Thu 03-Apr-14 23:15:10

I have had tomorrow booked off for weeks. I wrote it in the work diary as well as verbally telling boss A. It is a resturant so normally work fri and sat night.
Boss B has obviously just looked in reservation book for tomorrow and seen that I am off so he rang my mobile which I didn't answer as in bed, then rang the house phone which again I didn't answer and then rang my mobile so I answered. He asked me why I am not working tomorrow, when I told him he said mmm and hung up!

Now I am actually going on a girls night out but havnt told them that, rather I have said husband is working away and can't get a babysitter, purely to avoid being pestered to work, as that is usually what happens.

I should also add that we have had 3 staff leave since December who they havnt replaced and I should also say that we don't get holiday pay.
I am pretty sure that is illegal and would love some advice as to how to bring it up. I work hourly so it varies each week.

parakeet Thu 03-Apr-14 23:18:05

I realise this might not be possible, but can you look for another job?

CoffeeTea103 Thu 03-Apr-14 23:18:22

That was very unprofessional of him. How rude to call so late.

jojane Thu 03-Apr-14 23:21:08

I was offered another job last week but due to childcare issues I have had to turn it down :-( it was bloody perfect too.

BackforGood Thu 03-Apr-14 23:28:57

If the job was perfect, I think I'd have been looking into all possible childcare issues.
I would not have got into a discussion with him at 11 oclock at night about why I was having time off - he's have got an earful about what on earth he thought he was doing ringing anyone at that time of night. I'd have then left the phone off the hook so he was still connected and unable to ring anyone else until I chose to put it back down tomorrow.

I don't suppose you are in a union of any sort ?

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 03-Apr-14 23:29:29

But he said "hmmm" not "get yourself into work" as far as I understand?

So enjoy your night out.

BackforGood Thu 03-Apr-14 23:30:26

- but he shouldn't have been phoning her !!!

jojane Thu 03-Apr-14 23:41:59

Well if anyone can find me 16 hours childcare for different hours each week then I will sign up. Can't afford to pay for a full time place just so i have a place when I need it, which is what all the the nursery and childminders round here would want me to do. Don't have space for an au pair and 16 hours minimum wage won't pay for a nanny. In laws aren't able to provide consistent care ie could do one week but not another. Different shifts each week mean I can't do a childcare swop with other friends as they couldn't rely on me to be around when they need care and vice versa. That's just for the 3 year old let alone for the other 2 in school holidays.

jojane Thu 03-Apr-14 23:43:01

I have done spread sheet after spread sheet, looked into all possible shift patterns/timings, different days, different types of childcare etc etc.

jojane Thu 03-Apr-14 23:44:30

Wallybanters even if he said I had to work I would have told him to sod off, it's more about the fact that he rang 3 times at 11 at night.

AdoraBell Thu 03-Apr-14 23:51:18

Did you recognise the number? I wouldn't have answered and then claimed the phone was on silent or something. Cheeky fecker, I know hospitality is frequently a shit industry for the workers involved.

WallyBantersJunkBox Fri 04-Apr-14 00:38:16

I'm not saying it was right to harass you. But don't feel guilted about having a night off or having to make up excuses to take time to do something that you want to do.

Is boss A more reasonable than boss B? Are you on a zero hour contract?

In my line of work it's fairly normal for my manager to call at all hours because they could be anywhere in the world, and if they are in long meetings they call in the evenings from hotel rooms.

I used to feel compelled to answer, now my phone goes off at 7pm and back on again at 7am and I've made it clear that I won't deal with their calls in that time. in the end I found that if I kept giving, they would just keep taking.

inabeautifulplace Fri 04-Apr-14 01:26:48

A suitable response would be to:

1) Wait until you know boss B has a big night on. Birthday, wedding etc.
2) Phone repeatedly at 6am the following morning.
3) If he answers, ask if there are any free shifts as you've nothing on that day and could use the money.

MusicalEndorphins Fri 04-Apr-14 02:11:50

I used to babysit for a 3 shift family, it can done, you just need someone flexible who has a spare bedroom for your children. Place an ad, I am sure there must be someone out there who needs a job and would be willing to take any shifts.
Good luck!

wobblyweebles Fri 04-Apr-14 03:19:26

Phone him back at 4am to remind him you're not coming into work today :-)

maddening Fri 04-Apr-14 06:58:43

Just re the job offer - a former colleague got offered a job on shifts she couldn't do due to childcare - she said no I need mon to fri 9-5 and they came back and offered the hours she needed - worth a pop!

Jolleigh Fri 04-Apr-14 13:45:32

If my boss had called me at that time of night, my first response would have been to ask what he thought he was playing at. Did you not say anything about it OP?? All well and good being annoyed but it doesn't sound like you work in an industry that would leave you on call at all hours so you should have stuck up for yourself.

wundawoman Fri 04-Apr-14 13:52:14

Hospitality industry is notorious for the way they treat employees and ignore employee rights sad
My ds is a chef and I don't know how he does it; you need to be strong, learn to say NO and be very thick skinned! Put yourself first!!

PigletJohn Fri 04-Apr-14 13:54:43

When you have time booked off work, I find it is best not to say why. People only ask because they think they have the right to evaluate your reason and decide if they consider it justified.

Try saying "it's a personal matter"

If they try to convince you that they have a right to know, either repeat, or you can go on to say that you have arranged time off for personal reasons, and that what you do in your time off is none of their business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now