Talk

Advanced search

to want to cuddle my dd whilst we're in hospital

(27 Posts)
K8eee Thu 03-Apr-14 23:10:34

has my first baby this morning, a dd. We've got to stay over night but all I want to do is hold her and sleep with her in my arms. is this such a bad idea? i'm bf too

CoffeeTea103 Thu 03-Apr-14 23:15:38

Congrats on your baby!

Wigglebummunch Thu 03-Apr-14 23:17:59

Congratulations. I stayed awake all night as I was too worried I wouldn't wake up to feed. I personally wouldn't have put her in bed with me as you must be shattered and the beds aren't exactly huge.

hippo123 Thu 03-Apr-14 23:18:23

Not at all. A mw should be able to show you how to safely co sleep and bf laying down in hospital, presuming she's not prem / low birth weight, your not drugged up to your eyeballs or a smoker. Congrats on your baby.

InAGrump Thu 03-Apr-14 23:20:18

My hospital was quite against it but I see why you want to cuddle her you Lucky thing. Congrats thanks

DontCareAboutYourShoes Thu 03-Apr-14 23:21:06

Cuddle her but don't sleep with her in your arms. You're probably shattered and I'm sure the advice is don't co sleep if you're excessively tired.

MomOfTwoGirls2 Thu 03-Apr-14 23:22:26

If you get chance to sleep, take it!! I would put baby in her 'cot' while sleeping. Those hospital beds are narrow and high.

Congratulations up you!!

ExcuseTypos Thu 03-Apr-14 23:23:58

I agree not to sleep with her all night. Those beds are quite narrow and youust be tired out.

Could you put the cot right next to your bed so you can sleep nose to nose grin

Congratulations!

phoolani Thu 03-Apr-14 23:24:20

Can you safely co-sleep in a hospital bed? They're really high and not exactly roomy. I ask because I fell asleep in one BFing ds and terrified myself - the smallest movement on my part and he'd have been over the edge.

Its0kToBeMe Thu 03-Apr-14 23:25:29

After I gave birth I was surprised that they let DD stay in bed with me all night. I kept expecting them to tell me off!,but they were lovely. DD was very poorly so maybe they were being extra kind

AnythingNotEverything Thu 03-Apr-14 23:25:41

Congratulations! I saw your pre-labour "is this it" thread and wondered how you'd got on!

Honestly, I know you just want to sit and hold her, but you might just sleep better if you put her down.

My local hospital had a curtains open, no co sleeping policy due to some tragic incidents. The risk is small but she'll be so tiny and you must be shattered. I know I couldn't trust myself.

Plenty of time to co sleep at home.

hippo123 Thu 03-Apr-14 23:28:16

Yes, as long as they have a clip on side cot thing / side rail and a mw regularly checks on you and baby. Like I say, you have to be shown how to do it safely. Our hospital are fine with it as long as mum and baby are ok.

Littlemai Thu 03-Apr-14 23:33:45

My midwives put my DS in with me, repeatedly as I kept thinking I should put him back in cot. I did then carry on co sleeping at home. Cuddle away x

rabbitlady Thu 03-Apr-14 23:38:33

congrats!
the midwife tucked granddaughter in with daughter, firmly, so the baby couldn't roll out. that looked cosy. they might do that for you.

BrokenToeOuch Thu 03-Apr-14 23:40:37

OOh, YAB sooooooo U! Because you aren't letting me have a cuddle grin
Congratulations OP, cuddle to your hearts content. Lovely baby breath on your cheeks is one of my most favourite things in the world smile

Menolly Thu 03-Apr-14 23:44:29

congratulations, I would ask the midwife to show you the safest way to sleep with baby as I know when I had my first I was so terrified of dropping him/rolling over and squashing him that I ended up trying to sleep in a stupidly uncomfortable position until my mum showed me how to do it safely when I got home.

shineypeacock Thu 03-Apr-14 23:47:48

My DD was on my chest all the first night, i had a spinal and was catherised so couldnt move, i was propped up with pillows as i had a massive triple pic line drip in so couldnt really move my right arm, one midwife kept trying to put her back in the crib, but another lovely one kept snuggling her back to me.

BigArea Thu 03-Apr-14 23:53:36

Congratulations K8 smile thanks I was given a co sleeping bedside cot whilst in hospital with DD - ask, you might be in luck

ICanSeeTheSun Thu 03-Apr-14 23:57:34

I was too high on my pfb to sleep.

Congrats

pillowaddict Fri 04-Apr-14 00:01:06

A mw showed me how to safely sleep with dd and I left curtain open so they could see on their rounds, ask and i'm sure the nurses will help. Congratulations!

msmoss Fri 04-Apr-14 01:12:11

The midwives in my hospital pretty much made me co-sleep with both my DCs, they put the sides up on the bed and showed me how to crook my arm so I wouldn't roll over on them.

bragmatic Fri 04-Apr-14 01:14:13

Congratulations. I'm sure she is beautiful! How many times have you sniffed her little head?

sleepylittlebunnies Fri 04-Apr-14 01:14:31

I'd had a 6 hour labour from midnight with my first so had been awake over 40 hours by the following night and DS cried and cried, he just wouldn't settle. I didn't know what to do, I was exhausted and the 3 other babies in the bay were quiet. I asked the midwife for some help but they were so busy and told me to pop him in bed with me. Co-sleeping was something I had been against but was so knackered I gave it a try. I put the cot sides up and wedged a pillow down the side DS was on and lay on my side with my arm above his head and my knee below his feet gazing at him, he settled instantly and we both drifted off to sleep. 4 hours later I was woken with a telling off from the midwife for letting him sleep that long without a feed.

Although I was exhausted I think there's a difference between nodding off accidently while in bed with your baby and intending to co-sleep. Congratulations, it would seem every midwife/hospital has their own opinion on this.

IAmNotAPrincessIAmAKahleesi Fri 04-Apr-14 01:45:48

Congratulations thanks

Of course you just want to hold your brand new baby, there's nothing wrong with that . You can always ask for a little cot that attaches onto the side of your bed, I'm not allowed to co sleep so the midwives set one up for me and I could lay on my side and look at and touch the baby- it was lovely

TiredFeet Fri 04-Apr-14 03:29:48

Congratulations! Do the beds have sides that can go up? I was shattered so the midwives actually offered to set me and dd up so it was safe if I fell asleep feeding, and then they checked on me regularly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now