Talk

Advanced search

Bikini Waxing and the Fuller Figure...

(28 Posts)
wyldchyld Thu 03-Apr-14 20:44:26

Oh God, I can't believe I'm asking this....

I'm getting married in about 10 weeks time and have arranged to go to a beauticians before the wedding for eye brows being done etc. I'm a wax virgin and have caved in to "advice" to have my legs waxed and a Brazillian. I have very fine, translucent hair.

The issue I have is I'm a big girl (size 22/24) and have some definite tummy over hang. When I trim / shave / nair my pubic hair, I have to push it upwards slightly. a) Will this be an issue with the waxing, b) has anyone else ever been waxed with this kind of stuff and c) am I going to find this beyond embarrassing???

Any general waxing advice very much appreciated but I'm bricking myself about the tummy overhang issue. Apologies for posting in AIBU, I needed traffic and had NO idea where to post this...

Nottalotta Thu 03-Apr-14 20:47:51

Don't do it. Just shave as normal. I looked like a sore plucked chicken after trying a bikini wax. Not a good look for your wedding night!

dementedma Thu 03-Apr-14 20:48:33

I'd be shitting myself about the Brazilian regardless of tummy overhang. You dont have to do it if you aren't comfortable with it. I've never had a pubic hair wax in my life and have been married 26 years....it ain't a deal breaker!

puntasticusername Thu 03-Apr-14 20:48:38

You'll be fine, you really won't be the first person the beautician has seen with that issue!

Mine somehow has to wax my bits while pushing handfuls of my fat arse out of the way, poor girl.

akachan Thu 03-Apr-14 20:49:19

Remember you'll be on your back! Then you have a towel over your tummy and you can kind of hold it all back. Beautician might ask you to hold your skin taught for some bits. It won't be an issue at all.

BUT if you think it's going to stress you out just don't do if. Definitely not compulsory!

ShakkaKhan Thu 03-Apr-14 20:49:21

You'll be laying down for the bikini wax so presumably it wont be in the way, even if it is, beauticians are used to moving about skin/pulling bits taught etc so you will barely notice she's doing it. The part I used to find embarrassing was laying there frog-legged, legs splayed with her 'working' down there, bleurgh, I stopped having myself waxed a while ago for many reasons.

If you have fine, translucent hair though, why remove it at all? Appreciate it's a special occasion but you sound lucky to me in the hair stakes!

puntasticusername Thu 03-Apr-14 20:49:54

Ps hot wax, paradoxically, is a lot less painful than warm wax (many people find).

FrumiousBandersnatch Thu 03-Apr-14 20:50:57

Whose 'advice', and what business is it of theirs how, and indeed if, you choose to remove hair from any part of your body?!

picnicbasketcase Thu 03-Apr-14 20:51:33

Whose advice? If you've been happy this far without waxing, why on earth put yourself through it?

wyldchyld Thu 03-Apr-14 20:53:04

Thanks all! I sort of forgot the lying on my back thing, and the towel on tummy thing sounds reassuring - I can do some sneaky breathing in and holding back! I am very lucky in regards to hair but I do like to be hair free for special occasions and don't want to have to shave my legs on honeymoon (legs are the main thing and I decided I may as well go the full hog in that case). The frog-legged thing... Might have a glass of wine before that (for the pain, of course).

wyldchyld Thu 03-Apr-14 20:54:34

Advice comes from sister. I normally Nair / shave but am very lazy about doing it (normally only special occasions haha) and we're going on honeymoon where I will want hair free legs but won't be bothered to sort them - waxing apparently should see me through the wedding and the honeymoon (about 3 weeks) without the regrowth issues

FrumiousBandersnatch Thu 03-Apr-14 20:58:00

OK. In that case I'd get a wax now and then another shortly before the wedding so that you know what to expect in terms of ingrown hairs etc. waxing doesn't necessarily mean no maintenance and if you are prone to ingrowns then our lady garden could get very irritated indeed. TendSkin is great for ingrowns bit difficult to get in the uk so look for Skin Doctor Ingrow Go - boots sell it. Apply religiously every day after waxing and you may avoid ingrowns altogether...

FrumiousBandersnatch Thu 03-Apr-14 20:58:27

*your lady garden, not our!!!

Famzilla Thu 03-Apr-14 20:59:59

You'll be fine. I wax myself down there with a c-section overhang very easily. Nothing to be embarrassed about, beauticians see ladies of every shape & size all day every day.

However, don't get it done if you don't want to. It hurts!

Nottalotta Thu 03-Apr-14 21:00:13

Also, i was very disappointed with leg waxing. You really don't get the smooth finish of shaving and if you want smooth, you'lk need to shave anyway.

ShakkaKhan Thu 03-Apr-14 21:12:27

Yep I had my legs waxed once, it fucking hurt (especially near the ankles) and didn't feel anywhere near as good as shaving. And lasted for about 3 days. I'm not particularly hairy either. Not impressed!! You'll probably find that you feel nicer with the smoothness you get from a razor, I bet you'd be topping it up yourself anywhere as soon as you got there.

VikingLady Thu 03-Apr-14 21:15:29

Generally the salon will sell some sort of Ingrow stuff.

TheOneWithTheHair Thu 03-Apr-14 21:20:41

My advice is to choose your salon very carefully. I did the same two days before my wedding. Legs and armpits were fine but bikini left me bruised and bleeding!

I felt awful for about 5 days, absolutely battered and didn't want dh anywhere near me. It ruined the start of our honeymoon if I'm honest.

lavenderhoney Thu 03-Apr-14 21:23:08

Take your bikini/ swimmers with you and just do the necessary if you like.

Beauticians have seen it all anyway. Mine told me one woman wanted a Brazilian but had her period! Nice. Tampon there...

Have a paracetamol before you go, just in case. And don't go just before your period as it can be more painful.

Don't worry about your tummy. Unless you've got tummy hairs. Ask her to wax those too, and your toes if you have long hair theresmile

jamaisjedors Thu 03-Apr-14 21:25:56

Totally agree with Frumious. Try it out beforehand.

It takes a while for waxing to last any length of time, and as Nottalotta says, it's not v. smooth, and certainly not maintenance-free for 3 weeks.

jamaisjedors Thu 03-Apr-14 21:26:59

Actually I would do the same with the eyebrows. You want to be happy with the shape, not have them all whipped off and then stress about the wedding photos. If you start getting them shaped now, it will be a simple job to touch them up a couple of days before the wedding.

wyldchyld Thu 03-Apr-14 21:43:50

Hmm... Thank you for the advice! I managed to find some groupon vouchers for a salon so I may investigate better first, particularly for the eyebrows. I'm thinking a trial run is a good idea!

JaneinReading Thu 03-Apr-14 21:46:36

I have been waxed with a tampon in. They are used to all that kind of thing.

Chocoholism Thu 03-Apr-14 21:49:04

Eyebrow wax fine but first time waxing your bikini line etc can cause ingrown hairs, spots, soreness, I wouldn't wanna do it for first time just before wedding, especially being a bigger woman (I speak from experience) you may be subject to chafing (sorry) and that will make it worse! Stick to tried and tested methods for such an important time. Good luck and congrats!

Hamsolo Thu 03-Apr-14 22:24:47

Where are you all going! So many bad experiences.

I've had a Brazilian wax twice - wedding, and before giving birth. The former was fine, the latter was a ridiculous idea. I don't know what possessed me. Well, it was so long since is been able to do any thorough maintenance that something had to be done.

I've had my legs done a few times. Always with hot wax. No horror stories, and the finish was excellent. Maybe down to the therapist? But I've had them going over my legs with tweezers to get the stragglers, and I'd never have thought you'd get a better result shaving.

Oh, and mine are like fir trees - thick Mediterranean style hair. So I'm no stranger to the razor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now