Talk

Advanced search

To limit my dcs sweets

(19 Posts)
Slackgardener Thu 03-Apr-14 17:16:44

On a trip to the local shop for a treat my 10 years are only allowed sweets up to 50g - they feel I am being too strict and completely unreasonable and they should be allowed to buy a large family bag of sweets to eat.

So am I the only one to limit my dcs sweets?

ilovepowerhoop Thu 03-Apr-14 17:20:15

I dont look at the weight of the sweets but do tend to limit them to one bar/normal sized packet of sweets.

Sirzy Thu 03-Apr-14 17:21:49

I think limiting it by weight is a bit odd. But wouldn't be letting them get big bags unless to share

lessthanBeau Thu 03-Apr-14 17:22:16

doesnt everybody limit sweets? family bags are for sharing or just for me

Creamycoolerwithcream Thu 03-Apr-14 17:23:00

I've started doing it and I wished I'd done it years ago. My DC are 13 and 15 and I have swapped sweets for fruit and something tiny at the weekend. They moaned at the beginning but have now started making very exotic fruit salads each evening as their snack. They were asking for bigger bags and fighting over the sweets. I know it's my own fault and feel quite ashamed of myself for letting it happen.

Tryingtobetidy Thu 03-Apr-14 17:25:57

I don't let my DC have any sweets grin they don't even ask for any when they see other kids eating them

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 03-Apr-14 17:30:34

Of course Yanbu.

I get a bit annoyed when my dc's keep coming home with bags of sweets because it's someone's birthday.Especially since the school says sweets, chocolate and crisps aren't allowed in packed lunches.....

DD1 has a lot of dental problems so there is good reason for me to limit sweets.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Thu 03-Apr-14 17:39:30

Yanbu to limit sweets, there is nothing wrong with teaching them about moderation within a healthy diet.
A little odd that you do it by specific weight, but that is up to you.
I would be tempted to allow them a large bag, but stipulate it is to be spread over a few days and stick to that.

Slackgardener Thu 03-Apr-14 17:42:22

I limit it by weight because they wanted different things and it just solved the argument - they both got the same weight and it was also to stop them buying a big bag of sweets (when did they start putting 200g in them?) to share and I wanted them to go for quality rather than quantity, hence the lack of monetary limit.

They were told by their friend that I was really strict to limit their sweets, peer pressure finally kicks in. I fear I am sometimes the only parent who limits sweet stuff, and I still feel they probably get too much, but it's a bit of a compromise.

Slackgardener Thu 03-Apr-14 17:44:12

Also the weight thing started when we fill a bag with sweets from the jar to take to the cinema - it was an easy way to teach them how much was ok and it just continued from there.

gingermop Thu 03-Apr-14 17:44:53

not unreasonably at all!
my dids get either sweets or doughnut on a friday, if they've been bugga they dont get them.
iv been told im too strict by my friend whos kids always eating sweets/fizzy drinks.
sumtimes I feel a bit guilty but then I see there perfect white teeth, not a filling between all 4 (oldest being 15) and I feel justified smile

JulietBravoJuliet Thu 03-Apr-14 17:47:37

I tend to let ds have a normal sized chocolate bar, or something like a Freddo plus a packet of Polo mints. He's not allowed too many pick n mix type sweets as they tend to make him bounce off the walls! His favourites of choice at the minute are either a Kitkat or a Flake, neither of which I have a problem with.

Caitlyn2014 Thu 03-Apr-14 17:55:54

Ginger, none of my 5 have had any dental work done even though they were brought up in the old days when kids were allowed sweets and teeth cleaning wasn't the brownie point scoring palaver nowadays. The eldest is 36 and the youngest is 23.

ilovepowerhoop Thu 03-Apr-14 18:34:33

I dont limit sweets to particular days and we have plenty of sweets in the house (some left over from halloween!). If the kids ask for a sweet I will normally say yes unless it is very close to dinner time. They are not greedy with them (hence we have halloween sweets left) so I find that fairly free access does not mean gorging on them. I dont understand why people would refuse to give any sweets at all.

HolidayCriminal Thu 03-Apr-14 19:04:55

NBU.

mrsjay Thu 03-Apr-14 19:07:21

limiting by weight is slightly odd but i am guessing you mean a small bag UANBU why would anybody buy a child a big bag of sweets for themselves I never held back sweets didnt buy huge bags mind mine are not greedy with sweets

CatThiefKeith Thu 03-Apr-14 19:11:19

I hope they never discover flying saucers op! grin

mrsjay Thu 03-Apr-14 19:12:40

OH i read i get the weight thing now you are right if it is a mix up (do they still call them that) of course you dont want them eating loads

ilovepowerhoop Thu 03-Apr-14 19:14:57

I wouldnt limit by weight so if for e.g. dd chose a double decker (60g) and ds chose a aero bubble bar (40g) then that is fine as they have a bar of chocolate each.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now