Talk

Advanced search

To give DD (9 month old) nurofen?

(10 Posts)
ArtFine Thu 03-Apr-14 15:58:04

She has an awful cold - cough, runny nose and sneezing. Been checked by GP who says it's just a normal cold.

DD cried through most of the night and calpol doesn't seem to be helping.

AIBU to give her nurofen?

LingDiLong Thu 03-Apr-14 15:59:15

of course not! it's 3 months plus. hope she's better soon

EverythingsDozy Thu 03-Apr-14 15:59:53

What does the bottle say?
If it isn't suitable for her age group then yes, YABU!

Ponkypink Thu 03-Apr-14 15:59:58

You can get kids ibuprofen- I am not sure what age it's allowed from but can look at packet. Definitely don't give adult nurofen! But according to google many kinds of infant ibuprofen are safe from 3 months so that should be fine.

phantomnamechanger Thu 03-Apr-14 16:00:48

as long as its the right age one and the correct dose, go for it !

DiePeppaDie Thu 03-Apr-14 16:01:51

I gave DS (10 months) nurofen, it says 3+ months on the bottle. Just 2.5ml, though!

Finola1step Thu 03-Apr-14 16:02:36

According to my packet, it's fine. I would because even if she has a slight temperature, that will make her feel rubbish. With mine, I've done the calpol and nureofen on alternate doses. Just follow the dosage instructions v carefully. Hope she feels better soon.

MorganLeFey Thu 03-Apr-14 16:48:13

If the bottle says you can then YANBU.

BUT I would make sure not on an empty stomach (can be gastric irritant) - so prob not middle of the night..?

IHaveSeenMyHat Thu 03-Apr-14 17:05:39

I wouldn't because I don't see how ibuprofen would help a cold. It's a painkiller/anti inflammatory. If paracetamol isn't helping then I'd assume that the baby is miserable due to the cough/runny nose/sneezing... not pain.

lessthanBeau Thu 03-Apr-14 17:09:36

I always found calpol a load of rubbish , it never worked for any of mine , I only ever use baby ibuprofen imo it works much better. hope she feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now