Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - not quite school uniform

(40 Posts)
InAGrump Thu 03-Apr-14 15:44:30

Call me an old fuddy duddy but I saw a girl wearing pleated culottes yesterday and couldn't help but make this face hmm

What other odd items have you seen people wearing to school?

Seeline Thu 03-Apr-14 15:53:50

School summer dresses and thick woolly tights hmm

Iseesheep Thu 03-Apr-14 15:54:24

Trying to work out why pleated culottes are odd. A crop top and hot pants to school would be odd but not culottes!

akachan Thu 03-Apr-14 15:57:35

I used to wear culottes to school in the 80s, are they terribly outré?

Nataleejah Thu 03-Apr-14 16:01:23

Our primary is quite liberal on uniform, which is a good thing. Haven't seen anything too weird, well, sometimes some girls wear something too colorful.

meditrina Thu 03-Apr-14 16:02:53

You can still get culottes and I think they are brilliant for a girl who doesn't want to wear trousers (especially in warmer weather) but still wants to spend her time climbing or upside down (not a prudish point - a practical one, skirts get in the way).

TheGinSoakedBoy Thu 03-Apr-14 16:03:30

Why are culottes odd? . Both of mine wear city shorts with tights I wonder if that's strange? .
I personally don't like summer gingham dresses with wooly tights and boots. I'd never mention it in real life though.

NoUseForAName Thu 03-Apr-14 16:06:24

My 6yo DD wears culottes to school she loves them! She is the only one at school wearing them but I have had a few mums mention them and ask where I got them from!

hazeyjane Thu 03-Apr-14 16:06:55

Oh dear, dd1 went to school in culottes and dd2 went in a Summer dress with tights and boots - I really covered all the bases there didn't I!!

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Thu 03-Apr-14 16:09:07

I'd have no problem with culottes if they're the right colour. I did used to get a bit annoyed with all the hair tinsel, you know, sparkly, spangly stuff, and nail varnish for primary school children would make my hackles rise.

phantomnamechanger Thu 03-Apr-14 16:09:14

I hate all those "dressy" white blouses with frills and embroidery and bows and gathered waists etc. A school blouse should be plain and , well, uniform

BaronVonShush Thu 03-Apr-14 16:10:39

Dd went to school in grey leggings. I was hmm at myself but I could not find her grey skirt.

And I let her go to school in pink tights.

elahrairahforprimeminister Thu 03-Apr-14 16:10:41

Round here school sweatshirts are to be tucked into your skirt and the sleeves are pushed up way past your elbows.

DM boots have made a comeback. See a lot of them with short school skirts. I wear them with skirts too, though. Just surprised the school uniform police allow it.

A friends daughter who's in 6th form wears black and white Beetlejuice style trousers every day.

blibblibs Thu 03-Apr-14 16:12:21

NoUseForAName can I ask where you got them from? DD is determined she doesn't want summer dresses, so this may be a good alternative as she just isn't able to do skirts smile

GiveMeStrength2day Thu 03-Apr-14 16:18:35

I got DD some lovely culottes (black) from Asda's school uniform section last year. Hoping to get some more for this year - none in there yet as I checked last weekend. What's wrong with culottes anyway??

GiveMeStrength2day Thu 03-Apr-14 16:28:11

In fact, here they are:

direct.asda.com/george/school/trousers-shorts/girls-school-sparkle-charm-culottes-black/G004544594,default,pd.html

Preciousbane Thu 03-Apr-14 17:06:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenofLouisiana Thu 03-Apr-14 17:11:11

I really like culottes for school and wish more of our girls would wear them. It would save a lot of fuss about wanting to put on cycle shorts under dresses and skirts so they can hang upside down (I teach yr 5 and 6 so I understand their desire for modesty).

DS wears shorts, so why not the girls?

InAGrump Thu 03-Apr-14 19:07:02

Well, I did not see this coming - the thread has become a meeting place for culotte lovers! grin

They bother me because I went to a school that was very strict on uniform, school issued clothes only, even those that didn't have emblems on.

I kind of understand the allowance to let kids where any black skirt that fits, or any black trousers but now it just feels like anything they can wear on the bottom half that they can get away with.The person I saw wearing them yesterday had her culottes teamed with sort of cowboy boots confused

School uniform just feels like "Wear something dark coloured on the bottom half and any white shirt on the top half" and you'll be ok.

Why not just do away with school uniform altogether?

I know I'm being all out-of-date about it, I just wondered if anyone would like to join me.

Wooly tights and summer dresses have gone into my Uniform Room 101. So too have Doc Martins even if the posters did not expressly throw them in!

What's next? grin

Passmethecrisps Thu 03-Apr-14 19:09:45

Come to my place of work and I shall show you the future grin

Paper thin leggings with a waste band length shirt. Not accepted by school but accepted by the parents.

The 'uniform police' has no jurisdiction where I am from obviously

Passmethecrisps Thu 03-Apr-14 19:10:32

Oh bloody Nora - waist not waste.

hickorychicken Thu 03-Apr-14 19:13:45

I am not a teacher, but i went to school once grin.....rest of the uniform....and TRAINERS. Even if they are black and you can hardly tell....I can tell, its so scruffy!

Stinklebell Thu 03-Apr-14 19:13:46

"Wear something dark coloured on the bottom half and any white shirt on the top half"

That pretty much is my DD's primary school uniform policy.

Black bottoms/white shirt/logoed jumper.

She hates shirts and dresses so wears culottes or smart shorts in the summer

InAGrump Thu 03-Apr-14 19:15:05

Trainers!

Paper thin leggings! any leggings In!

More please

Passmethecrisps Thu 03-Apr-14 19:17:04

Ugg boots.

Lace blouses with nothing but a bra underneath.

Good school as well - the uniform is a guideline not a rule.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now