Talk

Advanced search

I was just told I shouldn't have gone out today!

(45 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Thu 03-Apr-14 15:31:40

My DD2 (9 months) is unwell, and being A Nightmare.

I couldn't cope with the long day of hell stretching out in front of me so walked her and DD1 to the park for an hour.

(DD2 was sick in her pram and started screaming so I came home earlier than intended!)

My neighbour was pulling up in his car as I was walking up the drive and he said hi and asked where we'd been... I told him and he said there's far too much pollution in the air today! Far too much dust to make my 3 year old walk to the park and especially for the baby blush

It was dead, to be honest, just a few dog walkers. But that could just be because everyone else was at school (DD doesn't go on a Thursday) we're in Epsom in the SE.. Is it really that bad that you shouldn't go out?!

Surely not!

mousmous Thu 03-Apr-14 15:34:17

it really is bad, but don't work yourself up about it.
you needed to get out and tbh the pollution at home will be similar to outside.

hope dc recoveres soon.

meditrina Thu 03-Apr-14 15:39:49

The ambulance service is reporting about 14% increase in call outs related to the pollution.

But the advice is that if you need one, take your inhaler with you everywhere. Avoid undue exertion outdoors. Not 'don't go out at all'.

However if anyone in your family does appear unwell, you need to scale back, go indoors and stay indoors until pollution levels subside. I think you'd have worked the one out without your neighbour chipping in though.

Those training for the London Marathon are being advised to tweak their routines even this close to the race. (I hadn't realised the race was so close, but it's likely to have blown away from the SE by next weekend, isn't it?)

TheDoctorsNewKidneys Thu 03-Apr-14 15:42:53

It is pretty awful outside, to be honest. I'm in the SE as well and our local schools have all closed their playgrounds and the only people out are people who have no choice (walking to work/school etc.)

I certainly wouldn't go out with a baby if it wasn't necessary.

curiousgeorgie Thu 03-Apr-14 15:44:51

DD's school is on my street and on my way to the park all the children were playing outside.

It actually didn't occur to me... confused

desertmum Thu 03-Apr-14 16:01:26

wow! it is a bit muggy today - but don't go out ? I do think the Brits are turning into wimps - a bit of dust in the air and they give the pollution level a 10/10 - what will everyone do if there is a real dust storm? Also turning children into wimps too - oooh it's dusty, better stay indoors.

I do realise that for people with lung problems it can be tricky but for everyone else is it really that much of a problem ?

meditrina Thu 03-Apr-14 16:05:24

The dust is only a tiny part of what's in the smog.

But yes, if you have no medical conditions and refrain from exertion outdoors, you should be fine even at this level.

YouTheCat Thu 03-Apr-14 16:05:36

I don't have asthma but it has made me wheezy and have awful headaches this week and I'm in the North.

I wouldn't have gone out unless it was vital.

Nottalotta Thu 03-Apr-14 16:20:19

Its very localised. No sign or hint of a problem here, yet 50 miles away Norwich is covered in dust and limited visibility (according to last nights news)

So you would probably have noticed if your area was being affected.

Salmotrutta Thu 03-Apr-14 16:26:22

desertmum - did you not hear the bit about the Saharan dust only being part of the problem?

The rest of it is industrial pollution from here and the European land mass - industrial pollution that contains chemical particles and industrial gases.

Not just "a bit of dust".

bobot Thu 03-Apr-14 16:28:27

I'm in the SE, children are all playing on playgrounds and we've just been out for a walk. I'm not saying it's nothing to worry about, just that there's not much we can do to avoid it.

HarderToKidnap Thu 03-Apr-14 16:35:06

I just down the road from you and we're currently playing in the garden. Haven't noticed anything different although DH keeps complaining.

desertmum Thu 03-Apr-14 16:38:33

yes, I know it's not just the dust. But I still don't think it requires everyone staying indoors and being told not to exert ourselves if we have to go out. I think a pollution level of 10/10 is pretty extreme - it suggests the utmost top level of pollution that can occur - which is very doubtful. So what will they do if the country becomes seriously polluted ?

babybat Thu 03-Apr-14 16:43:38

You went out for a walk and then your neighbour told you you were being unreasonable as he got out of his car?

It's pollution from driving that's the issue here. Telling people to stay inside (or drive!) is just skirting the issue.

GemmaTeller Thu 03-Apr-14 16:49:02

We're in Cheshire and its looked a bit like twilight all day, having said that we've been out with dogs and spent ages gardening.

Salmotrutta Thu 03-Apr-14 17:02:18

Well "they" brought in the Clean Air Act back in 1956 originally desertmum to combat smogs and that Act has been added to periodically to bring it up to date.

"They" keep bringing in measures aimed at reducing emissions, banning cars with high exhaust fumes, promoting car shares, monitoring industrial pollution etc.

But at the end of the day that's probably not enough and we all have to try and reduce pollution or we'll start getting it drifting over from China as well.

Finola1step Thu 03-Apr-14 17:07:38

Yes it's really horrible. But if none of you have asthma, lung or heart problems, the advice is to carry on as normal but not exert yourself AFAIK. I've stayed in most of today but that's because I am recovering from a lung condition and was in pain yesterday.

If everybody had stayed at home, the country would have been in a bit of trouble.

philomenascat Thu 03-Apr-14 17:10:15

The air quality index in Epsom is 3 right now; was 4 earlier in the day. Nothing to worry about if you and the children are healthy.

Spaghettio Thu 03-Apr-14 17:30:17

I'm in Esher and I went for a run this morning stealth boast

I was absolutely fine - the air is much better outside of central London. You'll be fine.

Tell your neighbour to keep his beak out!

Nomama Thu 03-Apr-14 17:42:13

Well some parts of the East hit max today, 10 out of 10. So some people were indoors to avoid COPD, asthma etc.

I know 1 person who had to go to hospital to get some O2 because she couldn't breathe. But it is very localised in some places. Your neighbour sounds like one of those worryworts who like to scare you....

HerrenaHarridan Thu 03-Apr-14 17:42:19

Wow!

I had no idea. That is horrendous

Timeforabiscuit Thu 03-Apr-14 17:50:54

I'm in an 8 area with good health, cars are covered in muck and after a 15 main walk to school I was thinking about getting some face masks.

Dd2 has had a grave digger cough at the moment so asked her nursery to keep her inside if she showed any signs of trouble.

Its very odd, wouldn't want to go out for a jog in it sad

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 03-Apr-14 17:54:11

It's very bad here I'm not asthmatic but my chest is tight and I feel awful.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 03-Apr-14 17:54:19

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 03-Apr-14 17:54:21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now