Talk

Advanced search

to have taken this persons numberplate?

(39 Posts)
SouthernComforts Thu 03-Apr-14 14:22:02

Earlier I saw a car pulling out of a side street and scrape a parked car really badly - it took the car a few attempts to get away from the parked car so more scraping - and drive off.

I took the numberplate and left it with the shop opposite and my phone number. The shop wrote a note and put it on the car.

The owner of the car just rang to thank me and has reported it to the police and insurance.

Wibu? Was it none of my business? It was obviously not malicious so I hope the other driver doesn't get in too much trouble but I think they should have stopped and left contact details!

Birdielil Thu 03-Apr-14 14:23:53

Well done! I would have done exactly the same.

minibmw2010 Thu 03-Apr-14 14:23:53

As you say they should have stopped and left contact details, cowardly not to. I'd be pleased if it was my car and you'd helped me so I wouldn't worry.

SoleSource Thu 03-Apr-14 14:23:54

Yabu. Next time just laugh and be pleased it wasn't your car damaged.

SouthernComforts Thu 03-Apr-14 14:25:00

If it makes a difference the parked car was brand new and I would be gutted if someone had done that to me!

dunsborough Thu 03-Apr-14 14:25:04

You did the right thing. Kudos.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Thu 03-Apr-14 14:25:41

Oh, absolutely I would have done the same as you - having been on the receiving end of damage done when the perpetrator didn't leave details and I've been left out of pocket (to the tune of several hundred pounds) I would have been more than pleased if someone had done this.

gertiegusset Thu 03-Apr-14 14:26:55

Of course you did the right thing, think how upset you would be to come back and find your car badly damaged.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Thu 03-Apr-14 14:27:09

SoleSource - Nice!!
Wonder if you feel the same when you are on the receiving end

NewLisaLife Thu 03-Apr-14 14:27:19

Well done.

When I was pregnant with ds1 me and Dh (then DF) went for my 20 week scan. Whilst in the car park - just pulled into a space we saw a car reverse into another one and leave a dent and drive off.
Dh wrote a note with the registration of the car that hit them and his mobile number with a brief explanation. That night Dh got a phone call thanking him and that it had been reported.

Offler Thu 03-Apr-14 14:27:31

You did the right thing, they damaged another car and should be responsible enough to make good the damage. As they drove off, leaving the scene of an accident etc, why should the owner of the damaged car have to suffer increased premiums and no claims loss?

SoleSource Thu 03-Apr-14 14:28:15

Yabu Evans grin

gertiegusset Thu 03-Apr-14 14:28:35

And the other driver should get into trouble, he drove away after an accident, his car will be damaged too but that was his own fault.

SouthernComforts Thu 03-Apr-14 14:29:11

Phew. Glad most of you agree. Just hope the driver doesn't find out it was me that 'grassed'.

Jinty64 Thu 03-Apr-14 14:29:38

You did the right thing.

It might be your car next time SoleSource.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Thu 03-Apr-14 14:30:15

SoleSource - Idiot grin

HarderThanYouThink Thu 03-Apr-14 14:30:45

YANBU if that had been my car that was damaged id be extremely grateful

gertiegusset Thu 03-Apr-14 14:31:05

It's not grassing, it's helping someone else out.

SoleSource Thu 03-Apr-14 14:31:29

Lolling

gertiegusset Thu 03-Apr-14 14:33:53

What's up Sole?
You'd be upset if you couldn't drive your son around or drive to the shops because you had to pay out to get your car fixed.

BeverleyMoss Thu 03-Apr-14 14:36:19

You absolutely did the right thing.

This happened once on the school run, - I took the number down and had to wait by the damaged car for the poor owner to come back to it and broke the news to her. She did get their insurance to pay out in the end though.

I'm thinking SoleSource you are being deliberately provocative, no? wink

SoleSource Thu 03-Apr-14 14:37:12

Well of course OP is not being unreasonable. I would have done the exact same thing. I'm being silly.

Only wish more people would do the same thing.

Yes of course you did the right thing. You don't need a bunch of strangers confirming that surely smile

Kolakubism Thu 03-Apr-14 14:37:51

You so did the right thing OP!!! The world needs more people like you! Not these turn a blind eye and "mind your own business" types. If my car had been damaged and someone saw it I'd want them to do what you did too!

RedRoom Thu 03-Apr-14 14:41:25

I think you are ace. I wish someone had done this when my brand new ( well, used, but only bought a week earlier) car was reversed into in a car park the first time I took it out properly. No note. Cost me £600 to repair :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now