Talk

Advanced search

To ask for some holidays for no reason?

(15 Posts)
MsMarvel Thu 03-Apr-14 13:27:52

My manager has just been away for 2 weeks which left me running the place, only getting one day off a week, and working 10/11/12 hour shifts.

He's now back and my shifts haven't been getting any better. I have my normal 2 days off a week, but they haven't been together, and for most of them I'm working till 1am on the day before and back in at 9am the day after so they've hardly been a day off.

I want to ask my manager if I can have a week off on the next rota that he hasn't made yet, so a week and a half away. Just to do nothing and catch up on sleep that I feel I haven't had for the last 3 weeks. On top of this I'm also working on an in job qualification for management, and the first deadline is coming up next week, so I've had a lot on and it's all catching up with me.

AIBU to have got a slight break when my manager got back? I assumed that I would get an easier week on the week after he got back but it's not happened. I didn't even get a thank you for running the place while he was away, for no extra money. I've mentioned to him that it would be nice to get some sort of bonus for the two weeks, and he seemed surprised and said he would see what he can do. I'm not holding my breath.

He is normally a nice manager, and he is friendly enough, but just at times seems pretty selfish when making decisions etc to just dump everything on me. I do know that's just one of the downsides to being assistant manager but when I'm not even on assistant manager pay it grates a bit.

MsMarvel Thu 03-Apr-14 13:28:57

Forgot to mention, I probably won't even be able to get that week off because I checked the holiday diary and my manager is already off the weekend of that week. It just feels recently that he's been on holiday more than he's here.

minibmw2010 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:29:42

Why don't you ask him if you can have easier shifts? Would be better than taking time off if you hadn't really planned to?

MsMarvel Thu 03-Apr-14 13:32:10

Because I'm doing manager training I don't want to look like I can't cope, even though I am actually struggling. I know that probably sounds mental but I don't want people to think less of me.

If I took holidays I would make up a reason, like my parents were in town or something.

CoffeeTea103 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:36:38

I think you are being ridiculous. You are a manager in training so surely this would have given you good experience. We all have to take on extra work at times for other colleagues but not to expecting payment for that.

You aren't unreasonable for wanting holiday for mo particular reason but if the manager has already booked a holiday for that week then clearly you won't be able to have it.

As assistant manager it is your job to run the business in his absence, that's what an assistant manager does. I've been a retail manager for 20 years and have never known an AM get a bonus for covering a 2 week holiday - that's why he looked surprised.

You need to get the shifts sorted so that you get a decent break between shifts

MsMarvel Thu 03-Apr-14 13:38:30

I'm currently doing the job of assistant manager while on a supervisor pay, because the business doesn't earn enough for two salaries apparently. So on top of that, when I'm running the place for 2 weeks while still only on a supervisor pay, it grates a bit. I've not had two days off together in about 3 months.

NurseyWursey Thu 03-Apr-14 13:39:30

You're an assistant manager, trust me this is what generally happens ie the dumping of extra work, no extra pay etc.

He's entitled to holidays too, and unfortunately in a business setting the work has to be done by someone else, it doesn't mean you have to get a bonus.

YANBU about your holidays though, they're yours to take.

MsMarvel Thu 03-Apr-14 13:39:33

I brought up the bonus thing because I know it's was done here in the past, and that it is still currently being done in other branches of the same situation/position.

Posted too soon. Need to get a decent break between a late and early shift. I think its unreasonable to expect 2 days off in a row though unless your contract states that you should get that.

MsMarvel Thu 03-Apr-14 18:10:26

Looks like I won't be getting a break anytime soon, one of the other nearby branches' manger is going to hospital so we need to help cover shifts in there. At least hey seemed a bit apologetic about asking this, and I suppose it's good to be known as being dependable in a crisis.

TheDoctorsNewKidneys Thu 03-Apr-14 18:16:08

You shouldn't get a bonus for doing your job. As assistant manager, your job is to cover your manager's position in his absence. He was on holiday, you covered. It might have been nice to get a thank you but you're not entitled to anything else.

YANBU to want a holiday for no reason, but you're not going to get the same week off as your manager! If you want time off, just book some time off. There's nothing wrong with that. You don't need an excuse or a reason to have a holiday from work!

As for consecutive days off, why should you get that unless your contract specifies it? Lots of businesses require people to work a random five days out of seven. Sometimes I have three days off then eight days on, sometimes three days on, one day off, two days on, etc. It just depends on when I'm needed.

you should not have to take holiday, you should be asking for him to revise the shifts so that everyone gets a break between them.

MsMarvel Sat 05-Apr-14 09:26:03

But the issue that grates is I get paid for a supervisor job. Which wouldn't include management cover.

Although I'm doing an assistant managers job I'm not getting the pay that goes with it.

wowfudge Sat 05-Apr-14 15:25:38

OP you need to talk to your manager and ask for a couple of days off together every few weeks instead of separately. If you want a week off then ask would be the best time for you to have that week off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now