Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that this behaviour is just attention seeking?

(11 Posts)
Giannna Thu 03-Apr-14 10:37:53

Before I start, this is about the dreaded Facebook! Just to warn you all in case you don't want to read any further grin

An acquaintance on my FB friends had a baby 2 weeks ago. For the last few months of pregnancy she had various pregnancy problems and seemed to take great pleasure in defying doctors orders and posting about it on FB. For example, she had a GTT and was borderline for GD, and was told to be careful about her diet, and documented this in her Facebook statuses, yet the next status was about how she was being 'naughty' and eating a whole huge bar of chocolate. Cue loads of people telling her to be careful, and that she had been told to watch her diet etc.

She then developed high blood pressure, and again documented this in her statuses, and was told to rest. And then in the next status was saying about how she'd been on a 4 mile walk that day! And then of course cue loads of concerned people telling her to rest, take it easy etc.

Now she's had the baby she's just the same. She had the baby on, I think, a Friday, and then on the Saturday once she'd been discharged from hospital she listed reams of household jobs she'd done when she got home. And again, got hundreds of replies telling her to rest. Then she had high BP again, but was still apparently doing baking/crafts with her child/long walks each day. Now she has an infection and has posted about how she keeps forgetting to take her antibiotics.

AIBU to think she is probably just being like that for attention?

CountessOfRule Thu 03-Apr-14 10:42:46

Yes, although I don't know how you'd know it was just tiresome behaviour or whether it was anxiety-/depression-related.

"Supermum" behaviour postnatally can sometimes be a feature of puerperal psychosis. If she has an image to maintain (in her head) then portraying herself as the perfect housewife and mother with stereotypical "naughty" chocolate habit might be how she feels she is a good mother. It doesn't matter that it's bonkers, if she believes it.

With Facebook we can always decide to skim or hide updates we don't like. Equally we can decide they mean something, possibly something we can and should do something about.

CountessOfRule Thu 03-Apr-14 10:43:35

I'm not diagnosing, by the way. She may just be a bit of a twat.

Giannna Thu 03-Apr-14 10:44:16

I know what you're saying Countess.

She's been on my friends list for about 3 or 4 years and has always been a bit attention seeking though

CountessOfRule Thu 03-Apr-14 10:46:51

Sounds like she is overly concerned with appearances then. Facebook really highlights such traits!

I hide attention seekers - I still see their most important updates but not the constant "woe is me" bullshit. It is all optional and I choose not to annoy myself with it when there's nothing constructive I can do.

Giannna Thu 03-Apr-14 10:48:10

She's one of those people who feels the need to document everything she does, but it seems as though it's always done in a 'give me attention' kind of way rather than her just being a chatty person

SaucyJack Thu 03-Apr-14 10:48:38

Facebook does not bring out the best in some people.

And you can most certainly have depression and be an attention-seeking twat my cousin manages it perfectly

Giannna Thu 03-Apr-14 10:51:04

The amount of people that get taken in by attention seeking makes me laugh. It's always the same people that, time after time, reply to her "now get some rest, Mrs" or "Hope you are taking notice of what the Dr said".

I get bored of attention seeking after a while and just don't bother with them anymore

RedRoom Thu 03-Apr-14 10:55:42

She had a baby on Friday then on Saturday had the time and inclination to post updates about all the householdchores she was doing? Great ordering of priorities there. You say she is only an acquaintance. Why spend time giving this self-indulgent individual any thought? Unfriend or block her tedious updates.

Giannna Thu 03-Apr-14 10:58:41

She's on a forum that I'm on, where we are all FB 'friends' with each other so it would be difficult to unfriend her without causing bad feeling.

RedRoom Thu 03-Apr-14 19:55:27

Block her updates! Why endure her drivel if you don't want to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now