Talk

Advanced search

to consider taking a job in another country?

(10 Posts)
NigellasDealer Thu 03-Apr-14 10:03:23

bit of background am single parent to two 15 year olds - have been v hand to mouth for a few years now.
I have set up an online business but it is up and down.
other than that i was starting to rely on the child support money from ex.(something i never intended to do). well he has now stopped working and we can kiss goodbye to that money.
i have done some calculations and have enough coming in to pay the rent, electricity and food and a drop of fuel but not more.
the children are often going to school with no dinner money and need new clothes.
There are very few employment opportunities around here i should add. it is a lovely looking area but the view is not cutting it any longer.
now the thing is i do have a cert of teaching English and experience in that field and so could take a job in another country.
or we could move back to London where i could develop the online business further as there are more places to physically advertise there.
wwyd?
i am in tears most days and the stress of it all is killing me.

GrendelsMum Thu 03-Apr-14 10:15:19

If you could get a sufficiently well paid job abroad, then it sounds like a good plan, except for the difficulty about moving your children to foreign schools at this point.

Could you hang on till a levels are done and then move?

magimedi Thu 03-Apr-14 10:20:26

I think I would put the moving abroad plan on hold for a few years as it would be hard to move 15 yo DCs.

I also think London sounds good & as well as the on line business, maybe you could do some English teaching whilst there as there is surely a large demand for it in London. Therefore you could be up to speed & with experience when it came to moving abroad.

Late FIL always said: "You can't eat a view".

Sorry you are feeling so stressed & down.

flowers

NigellasDealer Thu 03-Apr-14 10:20:35

yes it is not a good age for moving.
I doubt either of them will be doing A levels though (yes i know that is weird for mumsnet)
They are planning to apply for vocational courses at FE college....

NigellasDealer Thu 03-Apr-14 10:22:47

thanks magi yes perhaps London would be better for now, at least we would still have WFTC etc.....
honestly grendels mum another three years here will kill me

magimedi Thu 03-Apr-14 10:23:07

Then could you move to London in time for them to do courses at FE there?

NigellasDealer Thu 03-Apr-14 10:24:09

that is what i am thinking magi

magimedi Thu 03-Apr-14 10:26:48

I would think that many 15yos would be thrilled at the idea of moving to London.

Would that be for this September or next?

At least planning a move is going to make you feel a load better & more positive.

NigellasDealer Thu 03-Apr-14 10:40:01

well my daughter has become a bit of a mountain girl and my son has his friends but they were born in London and spent a fair few formative years there so do not feel like strangers there at least.,.....

GrendelsMum Thu 03-Apr-14 13:25:11

Well, that sounds like a good plan, then. move to London for FE college and to teach yourself, and then consider abroad in 3 years time.

Can you start looking for accommodation and jobs online?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now