Talk

Advanced search

Disappointed In HV (again) AIBU?

(10 Posts)
Chocoholism Thu 03-Apr-14 09:42:36

Went to see them over small concern about feeding and sleeping patterns. Just wanted advice and reassurance really I suppose as I don't really have anyone I can get this from. My concerns weren't huge and maybe she just wasn't worried about us as we are fine but the while time I was talking she seemed distracted, looking around at other mums, it was towards end of clinic so maybe trying to rush through which was how I felt, Rushed. She advised me to wean my 4 month old before she even listened to my whole story then I had to stop her and then she back tracked and said wait as
Long as possible to wean.
I don't feel my issues were addressed properly as I left clueless as I went in!
I've seen 2 other hvs on the team (as there is always someone diff on duty) and I never feel satisfied with the advice. Feel like I'm always brushed off as they too busy.
I know they are busy and it's probably not there faults as they only human but I tried to reach out for advice as I have no one else and I felt let down.

zirca Thu 03-Apr-14 09:50:34

I have found that asking on here is more useful! You get answers from people who've actually been in your situation, and whilst not all will work, it's likely one will!

CountessOfRule Thu 03-Apr-14 09:53:50

Feed it back.

I did so in similar circumstances and they took it seriously.

Burren Thu 03-Apr-14 09:58:15

Does this person work out of your GP surgery? Is there an alternative HV you can see? When I had a new baby in London, I was deeply unimpressed with the HVs who came to see me after I left hospital, who kept telling me not to worry when in fact there were grounds for worry (no milk), and found the one at my GP surgery actively hostile -but I found a completely wonderful, efficient, well-informed HV at a local children's centre, and saw her if I needed until we left London.

I only realised when I left a session with her feeling confident and listened-to that this was what I should have been feeling with the other three.

Chocoholism Thu 03-Apr-14 11:45:58

She was based in my local clinic and every time I've been there is a different woman, I stopped going for a while as it was just a waste of time and asked things on here which is very helpful i must say

oddsocksmostly Thu 03-Apr-14 22:56:02

Agree with Countess, feed it back so services can be improved.

There should be a contact number in your red book for your hv office ive found giving them a ring more helpful they seem to take the time to listen more and then if they feel a more in depth chat is needed mine offer for a home visit.

Clinics can be a pain in the arse when you want to chat to hv's after ds1 I just stuck to ringing the office .

Chocoholism Fri 04-Apr-14 16:51:20

Thanks guys, I phoned the community HV office as a pp suggested and got the advice I needed and also explained how I felt at the clinic, she apologised on her behalf and said she would pass on the feedback. I think I will use that advice line again as it was very good actually

hiddenhome Fri 04-Apr-14 17:59:43

Do people really ask HV's advice? I thought you just smiled, nodded, sent them on their way and avoided them as much as you could.

They come from the same mould as rather eccentric maiden aunts don't they? You have to be polite, but totally disregard everything they say grin

Koothrapanties Fri 04-Apr-14 18:49:23

Hidden I think thats a bit unfair. My hv has been a fantastic support and was the only to pick up dds cmpi when doctors missed it. she ended up in hospital before the drs took note. I know there are rubbish ones but there are bloody brilliant ones too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now