Talk

Advanced search

To find Mary Berry's false eyelashes a bit off putting ?

(25 Posts)
CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Wed 02-Apr-14 22:22:22

Don't get me wrong. I am a big fan of Mary Berry. She is a great cook and TV presenter. I have been really enjoying her new series Mary Berry Cooks.
I have just watched episode 3 on the iplayer. She made some fab food for if you want to have a dinner party.
However, it also appears that they mixed up her false eyelashes with Cheryl Cole's. I understand that make-up is required for TV purposes and as MB is in her mid seventies some extra help in the eye area maybe required. I am just worried that the sheer weight of them will cause her eyes to just fall shut and she won't be able to see to get the guinea-fowl pieces out of the oven safely.
Has anyone else noticed this?

TiggyKBE Wed 02-Apr-14 22:36:25

I hate it when she flicks out her tongue to clean her eyeballs.

CosmosOdyssey Wed 02-Apr-14 22:37:26

I think she should cut her nails short when handling food.

Emilycee Wed 02-Apr-14 22:39:20

Urgh I hope she glued them on properly, eyelash in cake situation!

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Wed 02-Apr-14 22:46:23

Not a fan then Tiggy? grin

They seem to have decked her out with some French manicure acrylics for this series Cosmos. I wonder how many of them pinged off in the smoked salmon and asparagus terrine?

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 02-Apr-14 22:47:55

I can't concentrate on what she says because I can't stop staring at her incredibly long hands.

LittleMissGerardButlersMinion Wed 02-Apr-14 22:48:54

False eyelashes freak me out, look a bit spidery to me <shudder>

Phalenopsis Wed 02-Apr-14 22:50:09

I can't stop looking at her arthritic hands and thinking, poor woman.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Wed 02-Apr-14 22:54:32

I was too scared to post about her arthritic hands in AIBU if I'm honest.
She's only a bit younger than my grandma, who I can't imagine for a second would try preparing a meringue tranche for ten people or going off to Somerset to smoke a side of salmon. But then my grandma wouldn't wear false eyelashes or shop at Zara either.

olgaga Wed 02-Apr-14 23:05:26

How dare she make an effort for the camera! Clearly at that age she should look like a corpse.

Arthritic hands on an elderly person. I ask you.whatever next?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 02-Apr-14 23:09:24

She had polio as a child, that's why her hands are like they are iirc.

I don't like false eyelashes on anyone regardless of age, they look dusty.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 02-Apr-14 23:10:13

I didn't know they are arthritic, I only noticed they are very very long.

Gwladgwlad Wed 02-Apr-14 23:11:18

She had polio as a child hence the hand issue.

I think she is ace! She has had a lot of tragedy in her life losing one of her children in a car crash very young.

So if she wants to wear false eyelashes & wear funky clothes then good on her! I read somewhere that she said she was having the time of her life!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 02-Apr-14 23:15:07

I cried when I saw her talking about losing her son, he was just starting out in life, he should've had years ahead of him. He was driving home for a family Sunday roastsad

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Wed 02-Apr-14 23:17:02

Let's be clear.

I never suggested she shouldn't shop wherever she likes. Zara, Superdry, Paul's Boutique. I hope I don't finish up shopping from SimplyBe.com when I hit my twilight years.
I just felt that her make-up might have been a little more artfully applied.
Before anyone accuses anyone of elderly-famous-people-ophobia.

figgypuddings Wed 02-Apr-14 23:23:27

Mary Berry strikes me as the type of woman who would firmly object to being forced to wear false eyelashes so I would imagine it is her choice.
If they make her feel confident in front of the camera, or off camera then good for her.

<Team Mary Berry's eyelashes>

ShadyLadyT Wed 02-Apr-14 23:23:36

Strange, because I always marvel to DP how gorgeous and flattering her make up is. Are they falsies? Or just loads of mascara?

CosmosOdyssey Wed 02-Apr-14 23:24:43

I was concerned about hygiene regarding the finger nails. Yes I think it is Polio rather than Arthritis, I too wonder if she is in pain. Those heavy pans she lifts, look like hard work to me.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Wed 02-Apr-14 23:29:34

See Shady, I always thought she looked great before. On GBBO and other things I have seen her on, chat shows etc.
Just in her new series the eye makeup seems a bit heavy. Black eyeliner. Seems quite harsh, and a bit distracting.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for women on the box, especially older women.
I suppose if she like it then good on her.

MsJupiter Wed 02-Apr-14 23:31:15

I expect she put them on yesterday so they were all ready for today.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Wed 02-Apr-14 23:34:21

And cooked them at 180 fan.

I have no idea how to cook anything she has prepared in the last five weeks as I don't have a fan oven. confused

ShadyLadyT Wed 02-Apr-14 23:38:59

Haven't seen this series admittedly so will have a peer.

Taxquestions Wed 02-Apr-14 23:44:08

Arrfff Cardiff - the fan gets to me too!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 02-Apr-14 23:48:31

Fan ovens are hotter generally so if you don't have one just cook it good longer or turn the temp up about 20 degrees.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 02-Apr-14 23:49:04

FOR not good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now