Talk

Advanced search

to ask if anyone will actually do this 7 veg a day thing

(110 Posts)
ilikeyourface Wed 02-Apr-14 21:23:35

God I struggle with five. I have about one bannana every other week and thats it. I havent had a vegtable since about 2003. If anyone will actaully do this, please tell me how. It seems impossible.

CuttingOutTheCrap Wed 02-Apr-14 21:27:41

I reckon i come close most days. Today i've had an orange, an apple, 2 glasses of fresh fruit juice, a portion of raisins, veggie soup at lunch all before leaving work. Dinner was a bt crap veggie wise, but still that's a good 6 portions at least?

Janethegirl Wed 02-Apr-14 21:29:23

I tend to eat lots of different veg but never as much as 85g ( it's that sort of amount) of each, so it probably doesn't count smile

AryaOfHouseSnark Wed 02-Apr-14 21:31:39

I think I probably do anyway, sorry. I really like fruit, veg, salad etc so that helps.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 02-Apr-14 21:33:23

fruit juice only counts once regardless of how much you drink

WestieMamma Wed 02-Apr-14 21:34:45

I probably do most days too. Had blueberries and raspberries this morning with yogurt, cucumber with lunch, banana mid afternoon, potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and onion with tea.

helzapoppin2 Wed 02-Apr-14 21:36:17

No way!

AryaOfHouseSnark Wed 02-Apr-14 21:36:57

I probably eat too much fruit actually, so that probably counteracts the healthiness.

elahrairahforprimeminister Wed 02-Apr-14 21:37:03

Does it even out over the week?

So 49 per week rather than 7 each day?

On Tuesdays I do a big roast for extended family with LOADS of veg. Probably eat about 15 in just that one meal. I can happily eat about 4 parsnips and a whole swede along with the other stuff.

Today I've only had about 3 - just not been hungry.

confused

Although if wine counts then I'm way over. Does it? Grapes, innit??

And what about tins? Baked beans, kidney beans, etc?

CuttingOutTheCrap Wed 02-Apr-14 21:40:06

Beans and pulses count once per day.

Betrayedbutsurvived Wed 02-Apr-14 21:40:56

I easily do that and more. Bananas and blueberries on my porridge, huge salad for lunch, veg chilli with butternut squash for tea, apple and pineapple as snacks.

We cook everything from scratch, dont touch processed carbs, and use meat very sparingly.

AryaOfHouseSnark Wed 02-Apr-14 21:41:38

Just once Cutting so if I had a 5 bean chilli, the beans would only amount to one portion ?

almondcake Wed 02-Apr-14 21:42:06

I've had raspberries, two apples, half a tin of baked beans, pepper, courgettes, tomatoes and onions today, so I will give it a go.

I add beet root and peppadew to most meals as a side as well.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 02-Apr-14 21:42:41

yes, the beans would only count once no matter how much you ate.

UnicornCrisps Wed 02-Apr-14 21:43:03

It’s pretty easy even if you generally want to eat shite, lots of veg on a pizza for instance. I love salads and snack on fruit so can easily manage it. It’s just the cost that could be prohibitive if it has to be different fruit and veg all the time.

What do.you eat OP?

FunkyBoldRibena Wed 02-Apr-14 21:43:08

I do it by [sit down this might shock you] eating veg.

almondcake Wed 02-Apr-14 21:43:13

Does falafel count?

AryaOfHouseSnark Wed 02-Apr-14 21:43:40

Ah bollox. I thought my chillies were extra healthy grin

AnnieMaybe Wed 02-Apr-14 21:44:04

I think baked beans count..it says so on the tin!

So if I make spag bol with tinned & fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and peppers how many does that count for or does it not count?

taratamara Wed 02-Apr-14 21:45:31

I don't even do 5. I'm sick of it all now, you're not even really meant to have much fruit, you can't count fruit juice, yadda yadda. The thought of eating 7 vegetables a day for the rest of my windy life is quite depressing. We're all going to die in the end anyway.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 02-Apr-14 21:45:43

I do it already,ds and Dh don't though.

TravelinColour Wed 02-Apr-14 21:46:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 02-Apr-14 21:46:46

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Documents/Downloads/5ADAY_portion_guide.pdf - gives portion sizes

fayrae Wed 02-Apr-14 21:47:01

banana and glass of juice in the morning, apple and salad on sandwich at lunch, some kind of veg with dinner at night, easy. To do 7 just add a piece of fruit as a snack somewhere in the day and an extra veg on dinner at night.

CuttingOutTheCrap Wed 02-Apr-14 21:47:52

Apparently so, Arya - pity (I love chilli too!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now