Talk

Advanced search

To be sick of cleaning?

(24 Posts)
pyjamaramadrama Wed 02-Apr-14 18:29:39

Does anyone else feel like this?

It seems to never end. Washing, at least one load each day, no tumble drier so all needs to be hung out, then ironing and putting away.

Washing up and sweeping/mopping up ds mess after every meal.

Toys, toys everywhere.

A lunchbox full of half eaten sandwiches, spilt yoghurt mashed up banana everyday.

Cleaning the bathroom, how does it get so dirty so quickly?

Bins out, cleaning the fridge, hoovering dusting, where does all the dust come from?

Sick of it.

pyjamaramadrama Wed 02-Apr-14 18:31:37

It's so monotonous, I can't enjoy my house when it's messy and dirty.

I try to keep it nice and clean and tidy but it feels as though one busy weekend and it looks as though there's been an earthquake.

Missdee2014 Wed 02-Apr-14 18:31:56

Not being unreasonable at all! This post could have been written by me. Except I have a tumble drier to run up the leccy bill too!

Rumplestiltskinismyname Wed 02-Apr-14 18:33:14

I have relented and got a cleaner every other week. But I still feel your pain. Dishwasher, washing, striping and making beds, ironing... Rinse, repeat.... Sometimes it feels like Groundhog Day!!!

IDugUpADiamond Wed 02-Apr-14 18:35:49

And no one will ever thank you for it either... if they even notice
Get a cleaner if you can afford it
it's a thankless job

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 02-Apr-14 18:36:57

I do as little as possible now and no one seems to have suffered any adverse effects.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 02-Apr-14 18:38:54

I've stopped as much as possible

It makes irrationally angry if I'm not in the mood for it

I chunter away whining to myself. Much better to stop and read a gardening magazine in a different room.

Threetofour Wed 02-Apr-14 18:49:56

I feel your pain, I used to enjoy housework as a novelty when it was just me & dh I left the house in the morning tidy & came back to the same thing... Now I have 4 kids aged 6 & under & I never have a moment when I don't have at least 2 children with me so basically bare minimum is done but I HATE the mess it drives me crazy and I HATE the constant thankless grind you are not alone

desertmum Wed 02-Apr-14 18:51:21

hate it, hate it, hate it - it is never bloody ending. I am sure we have a gorilla living in this house that goes into a newly cleaned room and messes it up again. oh no, wait, that would be my dogs and kids . . .

elahrairahforprimeminister Wed 02-Apr-14 18:54:20

I have a list and do certain stuff each day of the week.

I work Sat and Sun nightshifts, so only do household stuff Tues - Thur.

Seems less overwhelming that way. I do it while DS is at school and chill out in the evening.

Obviously there's stuff that needs doing every day but if I stick to a routine it just seems like less stuff to do.

Am aware I belong on the 'anal behaviour' thread but it does work for me.

smile

pyjamaramadrama Wed 02-Apr-14 18:54:27

Unfortunately can't afford a cleaner if I could I would.

I seem to just spend the entire time skimming the surface, making sure we've clean, made beds, clean plates and cups, clean clothes.

Never get to do the other things that need doing like sorting out old clothes in wardrobes, reorganising the cupboards, cleaning the oven too!

Mintyy Wed 02-Apr-14 18:56:36

Yanbu. Can't stand cleaning! I really find it very difficult to understand those who get enjoyment from it.

formerbabe Wed 02-Apr-14 18:57:30

Oh god yes!

I get very upset when I go to my friends homes who don't have kids and everything is immaculate and spotless. I have probably cleaned more in one day than they have all week!

pyjamaramadrama Wed 02-Apr-14 18:58:49

I work Mon-Thurs.

I get Fridays and weekends, but I want to enjoy the weekends not spend them wiping the skirting boards.

pyjamaramadrama Wed 02-Apr-14 18:59:46

Oh and does anyone else do that thing where if someone's coming you go on a mad cleaning spree?

yorkie84 Wed 02-Apr-14 19:01:11

Yanbu. I wipe down a worktop and new appear as if my magic. Same with bathrooms.
Can't believe anyone can clean a lived in house with dc in 2 hours. It can take 30 minutes to work through clutter in one room before even cleaning starts.

TheCrackFox Wed 02-Apr-14 19:01:49

YANBU

Never get thanked, in fact the only time anyone seems to notice is when the place is a shithole.

lotsofcheese Wed 02-Apr-14 19:06:06

Oh god, me too! It's just the relentlessness of it all. Dull, menial chores.

I'm going back to work next week after maternity leave. I am actually looking forward to escaping it for a few days every week.

I've done a few things to make life easier: a cleaner every fortnight, no ironing, frozen veggies instead of constantly chopping onions etc. But even then it is just constant drudgery.

Work here I come!! wink

fiverabbits Wed 02-Apr-14 19:08:23

I say to my DH every day all I want is a tidy house.

Apart from our bedroom and kitchen our house is a tip, it used to be tidy until my 2 grown up children who still live at home got into their 20's now they are in their 30's we can't keep up with their mess, we can't even blame the pets as the rabbits and chickens live outside.

No idea how to make them get tidier at least with young children you can decide how to de clutter.

Cinnamon2013 Wed 02-Apr-14 19:19:25

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this! It's mindless blimmin drudgery and I feels like chasing my tail most of the time. V annoying that it gets lumped in with childcare (which has so many rewards) - I still think if a house is a tip it's the woman who would be judged. I remember my mum complaining passive aggressively or sulking and swearing I would never, ever be like that. Last night said to Do 'when the washing machine stops, what do you think happens next?'... Cleaning brings out the absolute worst in me.

Mumtoason Wed 02-Apr-14 19:33:57

YANBU! It is NEVERENDING! And people only notice when it's dirty, not when it's spotless! I feel bad because DS ends up plonked in his bouncer for a while so I can just get some stuff done, especially if someone is coming round.. He loves the Dyson tho, and follows me round the house trying to 'catch it'... I'd love a to do list, but I'd never stick to it

TheRealAmandaClarke Wed 02-Apr-14 19:34:24

Yanbu. So much mess! Laundry is endless, and the putting away of clothes, constantly picking up after everyone. I know!
I loathe housework with an overwhelming passion. And I also can't bear mess. I can handle a bit of dust and grime tbh, but the untidyness makes me feel stressed.
Fwiw, I used to have a cleaner and it was no better really. There was so much pressure to have the place tidy so she could clean.. And then it's all untidy and grubby again in a flash.
I feel your pain.

TheRealAmandaClarke Wed 02-Apr-14 19:35:59

Oh and I agree with everything that everone here has said grin

EssenceOfGelfling Wed 02-Apr-14 19:46:46

Yanbu.

The most depressing of all is reading 'how to clean' books. They make me feel even more of a failure than 'how to parent' books ever did! All I want is a magic solution to make it all clean without having to spend hours with a toothbrush in the corner of an oven - why can't they tell me what it is?!

It hasn't got better since going back to work. Dh looks after the kids for an hour before I get home and it looks just as bad as when we are home all day, laundry, dishwasher, kitchen hoovering all still to do only its nearly 8pm and I'm knackered and just want to watch trash tv!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now