Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why tesco don't do computers for school anymore.

(9 Posts)
ICanSeeTheSun Wed 02-Apr-14 17:30:19

When did this stop.

I can't remember the last time tesco did.

CountessOfRule Wed 02-Apr-14 17:34:14

I guess computers are cheaper now, and more central a part of the curriculum so get official funding. Originally they were a nice-to-have extra.

It's all sports equipment now, isn't it? Morrisons and Sainsbury's are in on the act too.

ReallyTired Wed 02-Apr-14 17:36:59

Its one of those things that its more work than its worth for a lot of schools. It required about 15 million vouchers to get anything vaguely useful. The amount of staff time taken to collect, count and send of the vouchers did not justify the benefit.

I feel its wrong for a school to pressurise parents to use a particular supermaket by asking the children to collect vouchers.

mummytime Wed 02-Apr-14 18:22:17

A football doesn't cost too much. Now Computer's don't need floppy disks I'm not sure what of a similar value a small school/pre-school could save for.
Tescos is more into Green Shield stamps, or saving those stickers for cutlery etc. now.

RustyBear Wed 02-Apr-14 18:31:41

It changed a few years ago - one year they did both Computer vouchers and vouchers for other things, then they merged the two, so the voucher catalogue included a more limited range of computer/IT equipment as well as art/pe stuff. But I think the last one was 2012.

I guess computers are cheaper now, and more central a part of the curriculum so get official funding I wish - schools used to get money specifically for IT and the stuff that was bought with it is now ageing and needs replacing, but the money's no longer ring-fenced (and probably not even there any more, there have been so many changes in funding methods since)

RustyBear Wed 02-Apr-14 18:34:19

ReallyTired - our school used to get the PTA to do the counting - in fact it was the first PTA job I did, even before I officially joined! I counted Tesco vouchers every year for what seemed like a century - it was how I knew Spring had arrived... grin

CleanHankie Wed 02-Apr-14 23:05:28

Sainsburys have had Active Kids vouchers for several years. Schools, Scout Groups and Guide Company's can collect them to "buy" sports equipment mainly. Found them very beneficial for money strapped Scouts/Guides.
Tesco Computers For Schools vouchers was only for schools. They altered it a few years back to include Scout & Guides and it became more sports/cooking/outdoor survival equipment. Think this is the 2nd year they haven't offered them. Seem to be overtaken by their special offer vouchers to buy luggage/cutlery/saucepans.

stillenacht Wed 02-Apr-14 23:08:03

Wish it was music equipment! (says the music teachersmile)

ICanSeeTheSun Wed 02-Apr-14 23:31:04

I used to love getting the family to collect them for me, I swear the teachers must of though I was in tesco 24/7 the check out staff use to give DS extra as he said thank you to them as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now