Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to feel bad about this?

(10 Posts)
Flossyfloof Wed 02-Apr-14 15:28:24

Just answered the door to two lovely-looking young people. He commented that I was obviously really busy (must have looked harassed!) and would I like them to come back later. I said No, please just don't come back at all, said thank you and shut the door. He was saying something but I still shut the door. I have double glazing and cavity wall and don't want anything else doing. I am not signing up to charities and have just changed my energy provider. I feel really bad though. if I suspect the person at the door is selling I don't normally answer but the knock sounded like my neighbour. I know it is tough for young people nowadays but I can't be doing with it. AIBU?

LaurieFairyCake Wed 02-Apr-14 15:32:50

No you weren't even rude

Try harder next time wink

MaxsMummy2012 Wed 02-Apr-14 15:33:29

No YANBU they are frigging irritating!

Flossyfloof Wed 02-Apr-14 15:35:39

No I really wasn't, I was smiley and I said thank you. Last time they caught me on the hop, I had just got back from the gym and I was on gym gear sitting on the settee eating noodles. Not the same ones, but this girl looked through the sitting room window and waved at me so I thought I must know her (used to be a teacher so I had contact with a lot of young people). I was mortified but really cross that she had been so cheeky. I said I didn't like being disturbed and she told me I should have put one of those notices up! (actually not such a bad idea).

Flossyfloof Wed 02-Apr-14 15:36:31

I just think it must be soul-destroying knocking on door after door and being knocked back. I suppose better to say no straight off than listen to a long spiel and then say no.

Jolleigh Wed 02-Apr-14 15:36:45

I did a short stint of door to door work years back and it's absolutely soul destroying. They will get much much worse than that through the course of the day, trust me. That reaction will hardly be a blip on their radar.

Ilovexmastime Wed 02-Apr-14 15:38:02

I've also done door to door selling and they'll probably just be happy that you said no nicely.

redhead78 Wed 02-Apr-14 16:28:18

Yanbu! I think it's unreasonable that companies/charities/organisations think it's ok to bother people in their own homes whether it be on the doorstep or on the phone. It's bad enough that they can do it on the street in town but to have to dread answering your own front door or telephone is ridiculous!

TulipOHare Wed 02-Apr-14 17:01:24

I just think it must be soul-destroying knocking on door after door and being knocked back

I used to do it, and yes, it is. But you were not rude and you don't have an obligation to give up your time to listen to a spiel. A polite "no" is far from the worst they'll get smile

Flossyfloof Wed 02-Apr-14 17:12:45

Thanks, I feel a bit better. Still wish I hadn't answered the door, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now