Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To let my ten year old wear 2 inch heels to the school disco?

(167 Posts)
AwfulMaureen Wed 02-Apr-14 13:08:15

She's desperate to wear them...she's only got them because she needed a pair with heels in a show she did recently and I got her a cheap pair...they're the kind with straps.

She's had a bad time recently and suffered a knock in her confidence as well as the upheaval of moving house. She would wear them with plain jeans and a t shirt....is that oK or will all the other Mothers be cursing me?

I don't allow my DDs to wear any really grown up clothing at all....the heels are a sort of cuban heel really....but definitely a little bit grown up looking.

AwfulMaureen Wed 02-Apr-14 13:09:00

When I say they are the kind with straps I mean like a birthday shoe....so they won't fall off and she walks fine in them as she's used to ballroom dancing in heels.

WipsGlitter Wed 02-Apr-14 13:10:08

I'd say no, unless a lot of the others will have similar on.

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Wed 02-Apr-14 13:11:22

I'd say no too. There's a lot of running about in school discos, and doubt these would be suitable.

AwfulMaureen Wed 02-Apr-14 13:12:26

I have no idea what the others will wear to be honest...DD is most emphatically NOT the kind of child to do running about at a disco.

It'll be fine if she is used to dancing in heels anyway. it's a school disco, girls love to dress up for them.

Pootles2010 Wed 02-Apr-14 13:13:26

Could you say no and get her some really pretty sparkly flats?

AwfulMaureen Wed 02-Apr-14 13:13:48

Betty that's what I thought...it's kind of their version of playing dress up surely? I know plenty take handbags with lipgloss and a bit of glitter in them....

kilmuir Wed 02-Apr-14 13:14:39

Will look chavvy

AwfulMaureen Wed 02-Apr-14 13:14:44

Pootles she's got two pairs of really lovely ballet flats...she's not keen at all on them. I wonder if it's partly because she's been moaning that she's short in height recently....she's one of the shortest for sure...

WowserBowser Wed 02-Apr-14 13:15:05

My mum got me a little pair of heels. I was probably younger than 10 and wore them for parties. I don't wear them at all now.

I would say yes, if she wants to wear them.

SaucyJack Wed 02-Apr-14 13:15:17

I think it's fine for a party.

She's ten- not two.

AwfulMaureen Wed 02-Apr-14 13:15:35

Kilmuir "Chavvy* is a despicable word and not one which I care to allow to affect my choices. To be honest, a lot on MN will judge those who accuse others of being "it" more than the accused.

AwfulMaureen Wed 02-Apr-14 13:16:58

Saucy my thoughts again....I've never let her have a heel until these...when they're tiny they're totally unsuitable I agree...but a poised ten year old who is trained to dance the bleddy Cha cha cha and the foxtrot in them...I think she'll be fine doing a bit of Gangnam style to be honest.

WorraLiberty Wed 02-Apr-14 13:17:25

I'd let her wear them if she wanted to.

Serious question though. How big a part do the other mothers play in your life that you're worried they might start cursing you?

Comeatmefam Wed 02-Apr-14 13:17:26

I wouldn't let her, no.

Half an inch or an inch at a push.

My 10 year old dd would go arse over tit in two inch heels.

almondcake Wed 02-Apr-14 13:17:28

I think it is fine. That's no different than the character shoes DD wore for ballet at 10.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 02-Apr-14 13:18:13

It's fine for a disco, it's dressing up isn't it? I'd be very surprised if the majority of them weren't dolled up to the nines with full on slap as well.

AwfulMaureen Wed 02-Apr-14 13:19:21

Worra lol it's more that I don't want their DC to be saying "But Mini Maureen had HEELS on! WHY can't I have some!"

And then they'll all be "That awful Maureen...I told you she was awful!"

grin Comeat yes I'm sure some ten year olds would go arse over tit but as I said, mine does ballroom and has for years...she can dance any dance and walk well in heels.

Taffeta Wed 02-Apr-14 13:19:47

If you are happy and she is happy that's all that matters. Sod what anyone else thinks.

Thetallesttower Wed 02-Apr-14 13:20:10

Character shoes aren't 2 inches high!

Do you mean 2cm perhaps OP?

2 inches are quite high shoes.

I wouldn't tbh, but then neither of mine could cope with 2 inch heels, perhaps a very small chunky heel- I wouldn't be against that.

AwfulMaureen Wed 02-Apr-14 13:20:14

Almond thank you...they are very like character shoes. I don't think they look half as good with her jeans as her flats but it's about letting her make some choices and maybe giving her a bit of a confidence boost as she's very shy.

NigellasDealer Wed 02-Apr-14 13:20:24

oh let her if she is good in them.....it is a pair of heels not crack.

wintertimeisfun Wed 02-Apr-14 13:21:11

i wouldn't but i am old fashioned and don't dress dd up in an older style but each to their own

AwfulMaureen Wed 02-Apr-14 13:22:02

Tallest no....two inches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now