Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think perhaps in some cases of bullying perpetrators could be charged with manslaughter?

(7 Posts)
LadyRabbit Wed 02-Apr-14 13:06:18

I know that there are regular cases of kids killing themselves after being the subjects of sustained bullying campaigns either at school, online or both, but for some reason the case of the young boy in Manchester who hanged himself has really upset me. I know schools are improving their methods of dealing with bullying as best they can, but surely there are instances where individuals should be held to account, especially if there is enough evidence? It might seem a bit heavy handed but it might also be a better deterrent.

I feel desperately sad for the families who lose their children this way. It seems to be getting more common.

kim147 Wed 02-Apr-14 13:17:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flicktheswitch Wed 02-Apr-14 13:21:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Quoteunquote Wed 02-Apr-14 14:14:36

Even if these bullies were asked to explain their contributing behaviour at the coroner inquest it might have a deterring effect.

Recently a local (south devon) school girl committed suicide , the bullies continued to troll her mother on line, and even turned up to her funeral, cried and told her mother how sad it all was. So many people have appealed for them to stop, to no avail.

These children that choose to torment other children to death do have to understand what they have done.

LadyRabbit Wed 02-Apr-14 15:19:56

I like that idea Quoteunquote about bullies being asked to explain their behaviour at an inquest. We have al sorts of laws for adults, restraining orders, aggravated assault - a lot of this and worse goes on in schools and nothing ever seems to be done. There is no question that this awful behaviour directly contributes to these suicides, whether somebody was in a fragile mental state to begin with or not.

Kendodd Wed 02-Apr-14 15:25:49

What does happen to them at the moment? Do they even know that it was THEIR bullying that was responsible?

Quoteunquote Wed 02-Apr-14 22:55:09

nothing happens what so ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now