Talk

Advanced search

to ask if there's anything I can do about their 'disappearing' pets?

(14 Posts)
PuffyPigeon Wed 02-Apr-14 12:22:49

Dsc love animals and we have several pets. Their mum doesn't like animals but buys them as a tie to make dsc want to stay home with 'oh your poor puppy was whining the whole time you were gone because he missed you so much' hmm

In the past three years they've been bought rabbits each Easter, all of whom have 'dug out and escaped' within a month. They've had a puppy each Christmas, one who got accused of biting dsc mum so had to go, one who chewed a shoe so had to go and the third 'ran away.' they've also had 5 cats, all of whom have 'run away.' Dh says exW used to hate cats so much she'd use non pet friendly weed killer in their garden and aim for them with the car if they were in the road confused

I think it's all emotionally damaging for the children and that theres a possibility she could be hurting the pets, or is extremely incompetent at the very least. Aibu to not just stand by and want to do something?

Quinteszilla Wed 02-Apr-14 12:27:43

livingatheendofthewall Wed 02-Apr-14 13:27:31

Report her to the RSPCA - she needs a warning from them about her abusive behaviour

livingatheendofthewall Wed 02-Apr-14 13:29:35

This has really annoyed me - she's treating animals like disposable toys!!!

RedFocus Wed 02-Apr-14 13:34:04

My dh's ex is the same. She's gone through god knows how many animals and has mistreated them all and either given then away or abandoned them. She has a snake now which has lasted a year, doesn't surprise me as they are awfully alike wink both cold and slithery.

Imnotmadeofeyes Wed 02-Apr-14 13:37:02

That's horrible.

I think maybe ringing the RSPCA and running the situation past them might be a good starting point.

Either she's been deliberately cruel or is just completely incapable of looking after animals and just shouldn't be allowed them. What a bitch.

Allergictoironing Wed 02-Apr-14 13:46:40

RedFocus that is an exceptionally unfair thing to say. Snakes can be very loving and friendly pets, and are not cold to the touch (cold-blooded maybe, but that's a different thing). Slithery maybe as they have no choice having no legs, and at least you didn't suggest slimy because they aren't.
I'm actually shocked that someone who clearly dislikes and mistreats animals can have kept a snake alive & well for that length of time, as they can be notoriously hard to keep in good health especially when young.

OP yes it is likely to be damaging to the children in a number of ways. Firstly the distress of having a pet that subsequently disappears from their lives in whatever manner. Secondly because they could be learning a bad lesson that animals are disposable like toys. And thirdly because they are being taught not to bother to make any effort to sort a problem, or make allowances for anyone/anything, but just get rid of it - all puppies chew things they can get their teeth into, it's called teething, no reason to get rid of it!

Hidethechocolates Wed 02-Apr-14 13:49:25

hmm

SusannahReid Wed 02-Apr-14 17:42:27

Have their own pet at yours?

elahrairahforprimeminister Wed 02-Apr-14 17:52:47

I know someone like this.

Had 2 kittens. Got rid of them when they became cats.

Had a little dog. Got rid of it when she decided she wanted a puppy.

Got a new puppy while she was pregnant but 'only until the baby is born'.

sad

Puppy's gone now.

She doesn't see them as living creatures. To her they're just 'toys'.

angry

She's actually behaving in a similar way with her older child now she has a new baby.

So is another parent I know.

Why do people do it?

It's unimaginable to just love something for a limited time.

hmm

tiredoutgran Wed 02-Apr-14 17:55:49

crikey, I thought the disappearing x boxes, tvs and playstations were bad enough but this is just emotional cruelty - not to mention that the kids will grow up believing pets to be disposable too. Disgusting!

ScarletLady02 Wed 02-Apr-14 18:00:46

I loved our snake...but I wouldn't have another because they are a lot harder to keep than you think. We had a Royal Python for a couple of years, but it just stopped eating and died sad

I'm a massive animal lover and this upsets me...when people take on an animal they are taking on a commitment that last as long as the animal does.

randomfemale Wed 02-Apr-14 18:02:24

RSPCA won't be in the least bit interested - no evidence of mis-treatment to the previous pets.

How horrible though for the poor DC sad

PuffyPigeon Thu 03-Apr-14 11:40:19

I spoke to the RSPCA and they said there's nothing they can do :-( Just seems so cruel all round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now