Talk

Advanced search

For sending DD's phone back to the service provider to get mended instead of paying somewhere local to do it?

(8 Posts)
bigTillyMint Wed 02-Apr-14 06:42:13

DD's phone won't charge any more. She has only had it (on contract) for 9 months. We can send it back to the service provider to get mended for free, but this will take up to 2 weeks. She thinks we are being very unreasonable, and that we should take it somewhere local (no idea where, but her friend had hers with the same problem mended locally for £60) so that it can be done more quickly and without risk of losing contacts/data.

I understand that she is upset about not having her phone for up to a couple of weeks (more if it's not back before we go on holiday) but she has use of a cheapy phone and can do all her messaging on her ipod/laptop from home/where there is free wificonfused

ShowMeYourTARDIS Wed 02-Apr-14 06:57:53

If she wants it fixed more quickly, she can pay for it.

bigTillyMint Wed 02-Apr-14 07:57:30

Well that is what we said Tardis, but she thinks WABU for not paying for it.

Bornin1984 Wed 02-Apr-14 08:00:27

How old is she? It's under warranty,
If you pay for it then does it not void the warrernty which is left on the contract? Your the parent you decide how it's mended it's not the end of the world if she doesn't have a phoneconfused

ItsSpringBaby Wed 02-Apr-14 08:05:01

The little local phone shops you see on the high street have a bad habit (in my experience) of shoddy repairs at best e.g screws missing, and at worst creating additional problems.

Better that you sent it off to a place where you're guaranteed to get a working phone returned to you!

Teens will be teens though! They moan about everything, I know I did grin

Hoppinggreen Wed 02-Apr-14 08:11:33

Be careful.
My DH dropped my Iphone down the loo!
The rice thing didn't work so he took it to a local repair shop, they kept it for about a week and then said they couldn't do anything with it so we took it to Apple. They said that the phone was a fake ( got it from O2 originally)!!! We explained to them what had happened and they took the front off and said that it was only the front that was fake and than the genuine front had been replaced, the rest was genuine. Apple bloke told us that its not uncommon because the easiest way to tell fakes is from the front so the phone shop had swapped it out and probably stuck my genuine front on a fake phone.
We took it back to the local shop and they denied the whole thing. I told them that I was going to leave the phone with them for 24 hours and then collect it to see what happened. When I went back they denied the whole thing again but by some miracle my genuine Iphone front had returned!!

bigTillyMint Wed 02-Apr-14 08:16:59

Born, she is 14.
I had wondered about it voiding the warranty - it's probably in the small print!

And yes, spring and hopping, I wouldn't be happy giving it to one of the local dodgy phone booth places - another good reason for sending it off.

Lariflete Wed 02-Apr-14 10:29:09

Don't do it! I had mine mended locally because it was out of warranty and they kept it for over 2 months and made more problems!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now