Talk

Advanced search

to like doing nothing?

(23 Posts)
MrsGoslingWannabe Wed 02-Apr-14 00:47:17

And for it to be my main aim? I must be a poor role-model to have so little enthusiasm and expectations in life.

elahrairahforprimeminister Wed 02-Apr-14 00:58:09

Nah.

You sound awesome.

Although you should rebrand it as 'chillaxing' or something vaguely hip if it worries you.

Or if you're particularly pretentious you could refer to it as 'meditating'.

Nothing wrong with doing nothing.

wink

defonamechangedforthis Wed 02-Apr-14 00:58:24

I am the same. not that I like doing nothing as such, more that I just dont like to work! im only quite young ( mid 20s) and I have no DC, but I work as little as possible. couple of hours a week. I am fortunate because DH has a very good job.

I am not career driven. I love it grin grin

spatchcock Wed 02-Apr-14 01:03:31

When you say 'nothing' what do you actually do? Stare into space? I'd be worried about my brain atrophying.

Whatever works for you is the right thing to do.

diddlediddledumpling Wed 02-Apr-14 01:06:26

your spiritual home

ilovesooty Wed 02-Apr-14 04:40:37

I can't understand anyone in their 20 without children being content to do next to nothing and rely on their partner's income.

CrispyHedgeHog Wed 02-Apr-14 05:15:00

I did exactly that yesterday. Only left my bed for food and cups of tea. Twas bliss.

singaporeswing Wed 02-Apr-14 05:19:16

I love doing nothing in my spare time. I work hard, get home from work and just do nothing.

It's great.

ilovesooty Wed 02-Apr-14 05:21:38

I think there's a world of difference between a day of luxurious inactivity and wanting to spend every day doing nothing because you just don't like working. I'm completely at a loss as to why anyone young, healthy and without a family would be proud of being lazy, dependent on a partner and without aspirations.

Rexandralpf Wed 02-Apr-14 06:36:06

I'd love about two days a week of nothing - but it won't happen for years. Illness is about the only time I blissfully do nothing - but that can only happen if someone takes the kids

Rexandralpf Wed 02-Apr-14 06:38:59

I'd love about two days a week of nothing - but it won't happen for years. Illness is about the only time I blissfully do nothing - but that can only happen if someone takes the kids

Delphiniumsblue Wed 02-Apr-14 06:56:30

I love it occasionally, but it is only because I am generally too busy. I wouldn't want it all the time.

Jinty64 Wed 02-Apr-14 07:02:30

I overload easily these days. I was always a busy person, working hard, rushing here there and everywhere. I never really stopped - and now I have (at least while the dc's are at school). I love it.

Balaboosta Wed 02-Apr-14 07:41:34

I love doing nothing. But also find that guilt and self-doubt do not leave me alone to do nothing in peace!

MortaIWombat Wed 02-Apr-14 07:42:00

I love doing nothing as a treat. I keenly anticipate it, and make the very most of every moment of it.

If it wasn't a treat, but was the rest of my life stretching in front of me, I think I'd hate it. I like short periods of deliberate slothfulness in between stretches of demanding, goal-focused activity.

Your mileage obviously varies!

Jinsei Wed 02-Apr-14 07:47:51

As others have said, it's wonderful to have the odd day of doing nothing - I could do with one of those myself, as I haven't had one for a while.

However, it's a waste of a life if you do nothing most of the time! How incredibly boring!

littlemisssarcastic Wed 02-Apr-14 07:50:14

As a treat, I love doing nothing. I don't want to be ill to do nothing, I want to be perfectly well when I do nothing. It's a luxurious way to spend a day, so long as it's not every day (or even every week in my case).

OTOH, I feel deflated at the end of the day if I have done nothing at all, like I have wasted that time doing nothing when I could've done something that would make me feel proud of myself IYSWIM.
I couldn't have too many days of doing nothing because it would make me depressed.

To the people who spend most of their time doing nothing, do you resent it when you have to do anything?
Don't you get bored?

Nottalotta Wed 02-Apr-14 07:56:42

I love doing nothing. Or, as Micky Flanagen would say 'proper fuck all'.

I do work full time in a pretty stressful job and the occasional day of doing nothing is required for my sanity. But I also like a day at home doing loads, but on my own.

I couldn't do nothing full time. Surely you must do something? Hobby, animals, gym?

JoandMax Wed 02-Apr-14 08:08:28

I spend one morning a week doing nothing, I schedule it in! Most of the time I sit by the pool and read a book, sometimes a nap, watch complete trash on TV.

It took me a while to not feel guilty doing it but it does me the world of good and I find I'm more motivated the rest of the time and happier overall

I don't think I could do it full-time though.....

quirrelquarrel Wed 02-Apr-14 08:16:28

I can't do nothing for very long without getting in a nervous state, my mood goes downhill way too quickly. And god, the guilt too, I hate that. I need plans. They can be small plans. I need them to make lazy time feel good. A necessary evil! grin

LaGuardia Wed 02-Apr-14 09:36:30

OP, do you suffer with depression?

MrsGoslingWannabe Wed 02-Apr-14 13:58:35

Thanks Diddler!

I'd feel better about doing nothing I had a little baby. They are the best waste of time.

MrsGoslingWannabe Wed 02-Apr-14 14:00:16

No I don't Lag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now