Talk

Advanced search

to be FUMING with ebay?? they have "indefinitely restricted" my selling for NO reason.

(20 Posts)
balenciaga Tue 01-Apr-14 17:44:32

I have bought and sold on ebay for a few years now, with no problems, nothing major, just as and when I have things to sell, I don't make hardly any money

however I listed a designer handbag a few weeks ago which they removed as apparently it breached "trademark restrictions"... they said I could not re list it for 7 days. no idea why as was genuine confused

I then re listed it when the 7 days had gone and it was snapped up via buy it now, buyer v happy, left me good feedback

I am now selling some children's shoes, 2 pairs of nikes and a pair of uggs, again, genuine, originally from Schuh

I have today had a message from them saying they have "indefinitely restricted my ebay selling in clothes shoes and accessories" shock although my present listings have been allowed to stand

just, WTF. the only things I ever sell are clothes and shoes and have never had any problems, once or twice I have had people return stuff and i have always sorted it out quickly.

so I "spoke" to their online chat team although I am not convinced I was even speaking to a real human tbh hmm apparently it will be "looked into" and someone will reply in 48 hours

I hate their facelessness and how they just do whatever the fuck they please am fuming as well at the implication I have done wrong

MaidOfStars Tue 01-Apr-14 18:03:39

Assuming they are checking you out for potentially selling counterfeit goods, I think this is a reasonable thing for them to do.

QueenofallIsee Tue 01-Apr-14 18:15:20

it must be annoying so I do sympathise but I am glad to see Ebay at least trying to clamp down on fake goods. I think its just dreadful that people can sell blatant rip offs of designer goods with little consequence. For every good seller like you selling UGGs there is someone charging £££££ for a poor quality fake. I am sure that you will be back online selling soon

UncleT Tue 01-Apr-14 18:19:58

It's reasonable to take steps to mitigate against the sale of counterfeit, dangerous or substandard goods. That, unfortunately, will always inconvenience some genuine sellers. However, their communication is beyond dreadful and you're not unreasonable at all to complain about their 'facelessness'.

balenciaga Tue 01-Apr-14 18:30:22

Yes I agree they should clamp down on counterfeits but I don't see why they are targeting me, my stuff is always genuine, and my good feedback reflects this sad

also I am a bit of a bag geek (see username lol) and know how to spot fakes - I have just had a look and there are loads on there that I strongly suspect aren't the real deal hmm

UncleT Tue 01-Apr-14 18:49:00

You say 'targeting' but they will say 'checking'. You have no idea how many others they may check and on what basis, but perhaps you could consider that seeing as you don't know the warning signs or profiles of those who might be involved in illicit business like they will, that they might genuinely need to inconvenience a few people like you along the way in furtherance of the bigger goal of protecting the majority. It sucks, and I'm not going to pretend that eBay is some bastion of high ethics and fair treatment, but it's a fact that we don't have the same understanding of where you might fit into the bigger picture that they possess. As I said though, their communication is terrible. You should certainly expect to be approached and given a fair opportunity to evidence your position in a timely manner. On that front YANBU for being peeved.

firesidechat Tue 01-Apr-14 18:58:36

There is a reason though. It may be because of potentially fake goods or it may be because certain brands don't like their stuff being sold on Ebay. It will be in their guidelines somewhere.

balenciaga Tue 01-Apr-14 19:29:47

Fair enough but why can't they just give me a straight fucking answer grrr

MaidOfStars Tue 01-Apr-14 19:33:24

They have given you a straight answer. You are under investigation and they'll get back to you in a specified time frame.

balenciaga Tue 01-Apr-14 20:01:06

Sorry maidofstars meant to say they didn't give me a reason for suspending my selling activity ie in their original message in my op

Well, will be interesting to hear their reply ... .. confused

sarine1 Tue 01-Apr-14 20:39:43

Have you looked at your dashboard? I am assuming that you have at least one policy strike for listing the handbag but that wouldn't be enough for an indefinite restriction. It is likely that there will be other policy strikes, possibly cases opened by buyers against you? or low stars from buyers in relation to postage, item not described or slow despatch? I'm not being critical but eBay are increasingly challenging sellers who are not giving buyers a 'good selling experience'. They will have sent you warning emails. Have a look at your dashboard and that should give you an indication of what may have happened.

Moreisnnogedag Tue 01-Apr-14 20:46:38

Did you use any pictures from the company's website to demonstrate your item? My dm couldn't take a good picture of the colour of her bag so just put in a picture from the website (with writing over it saying this isn't a picture of the bag but shows the colour). eBay deleted her listing.

HowContraryMary Tue 01-Apr-14 20:51:42

Its the VeRO programme pages.ebay.co.uk/vero/
For this reason, eBay has created the Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Programme so rights owners can report listings that infringe their rights. Any person or company who holds intellectual property rights (such as a copyright, trademark or patent) which may be infringed by listings or items sold on eBay is encouraged to participate in the VeRO Programme.

You may own a pukka Louis Vuitton bag - with receipts and dust bags - but Louis Vuitton have an agreement with eBay that their goods cant be sold. If you try, your account get suspended.

three is a whole list of 'designers' who have this agreement. as a seller, you really should be savvy enough to know where to look to see what you can and cannot sell on eBay

balenciaga Tue 01-Apr-14 21:06:06

Thanks to the last few posters thanks

No I have never used stock pics always my own and they are always good quality

I only have good feedback and 200 + of it, never had any warning emails from eBay

And re the handbag, there are 100s on there of the make I sold, and also when eBay removed it they said it could be relisted again in 7 days. So when I did so (after the 7 days) it sold immediately and I already have good feedback from it.

eBay are hardly a paragon of morality themselves anyway I'm pretty sure they are one of the big tax evaders :/

Bearbehind Tue 01-Apr-14 21:14:30

I once tried to sell a designer handbag on Ebay and a representative from the brand, who operate as some kind of counterfeit police, had it removed as they thought it was fake.

Totally pissed me off that after spending hundreds of pound on a bag, the manufacturers couldn't even tell it was the real deal.

Put me off Ebay and posh bags!

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 01-Apr-14 21:24:41

Which designers have an agreement with eBay not to have their goods sold on the site?

<keen to learn face>

balenciaga Tue 01-Apr-14 21:30:45

Exactly bearbehind! Grrr

Yeah this whole things pissed me off so much (am almost 9 moths preg as well so that don't help my anger levels) I might not bother with them anymore. Just buy / sell on gumtree, FB etc

Bearbehind Tue 01-Apr-14 21:44:55

ali not sure if any are totally banned but some definitely have counterfeit monitors (who can't tell their products from a fake)

sarine1 Tue 01-Apr-14 22:11:12

EBay is VERY stressful these days (ps, they own gumtree as well!) But do have a look at your dashboard as it may help explain things. All the best with the pregnancy - way more important than eBay thanks

balenciaga Wed 02-Apr-14 15:52:35

They own gumtree?? Bloody hell lol whatever next confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now