Talk

Advanced search

To not want to see this doctor?

(12 Posts)
firstbaby01 Tue 01-Apr-14 14:26:24

Sorry for the essay i am rubbish at writing things!
I am 25 weeks PG and currently off work with really nasty headaches. My Gp surgery have a system where if you need a sick note you phone in and ask for one and the doctor will call you a few days later and issue a backdated sick note to be collected from reception. As my sick note ran out yesterday I called in to ask for it to be renewed and was told My Gp would call me back today, I asked to speak to a different gp as I feel my Gp is really unprofessional because: a) When I went to register my pregnancy (was also the first time I met this doctor as my old one has retired) she looked down her nose at me and asked me if i was having an abortion. When i said no she then asked me if i knew who the father was, did the father know and was I in a stable enough relationship with the father to cope with a baby!! (I have been with DP for nearly two years and we are currently buying our first home)
b) when I was about 9 weeks PG I was suffering with really bad sickness and stomach pains and had not kept any fluid down for 3 days. I went back to the doctors and she told me it was just a side effect of pregnancy and it was just one of those things I had to deal with (saw a different doctor two days later who said it sounded like HG and gave me medication which really helped) she also did a urine test and said it looked fine but she would send it off to the lab to make sure there was no infection and did I want to try anti biotics anyway whist waiting for the results? (results came back fine so there would have been no need for them!)
c) when I called in last Monday I was told she would call me back the next morning. I waited til 1.30pm, still no phone call so phoned called reception to be told it could be anytime up until 8 pm. waited til 8 pm and still no phone call and reception was closed by this time so I could not call in. phoned in the next morning to be told she tried to call twice and there was no answer ( I had my phone in front of me on loud all day and it did not ring once!) anyway I eventually spoke to her on the Thursday evening and she said there's nothing more she can do apart from tell me to rest and told me she would leave a sick note by the desk and to call to renew on Monday.
So I called yesterday and asked to speak to a different gp as I do not wish to see my one again and was told this was fine and someone would call me this afternoon to discuss. just received a call from someone at the practice who is not even a gp to be told my own gp has put a note on my file to say I need to see her before any more sick notes are issued by any doctors and they have booked me in for an 'emergency' appointment to see her on Friday. I said I was more than happy to go in as I have been struggling to get an appointment but due to the reasons above I would like to see a different doctor and do not wish to see my gp again. The lady on the phone said that this was not possible and if I wanted to see a doctor I Had to see my own gp as she has requested it. AIBU to not want to see this woman? I have seen other doctors since seeing her and it was a different doctor who originally signed me off for the headache issue.

skinnyflatwhitetogo Tue 01-Apr-14 14:39:07

she looked down her nose at me and asked me if i was having an abortion

Really? She said those words without any relevant context? Did you challenge her or report it?

Go to the appt, express your concerns directly to her. If you still feel uncomfortable with her then apply to change GP. If you haven't already complained then at this stage you need to follow the surgery's procedure.

MrsPixieMoo Tue 01-Apr-14 14:42:18

Write what you have written here to the practice manager and go to the appt on Friday and repeat it.

Famzilla Tue 01-Apr-14 14:43:14

If she genuinely looked down at you, asked if you were planning an aborting and then started questioning the validity of your relationship as blunt as that with no other context you need to report her immediately. That is horrifically unprofessional.

firstbaby01 Tue 01-Apr-14 14:52:12

Yes that was her genuine response. She then said ok well I need to give you Emma's diary and a midwife will be in touch. I have now put a complaint in writing but I really hate conflict and really do not want to see this woman again. I will be changing to another practice soon but the area I am moving to is 20 minutes away so I am waiting to move before I change as I will need to change midwife too

MyPrettyToes Tue 01-Apr-14 14:59:23

firstbaby. If you plan on going to see her on Friday, can ask someone come along with you for support? It may be less stressful for you particularly as you you do not like conflict. You are right to have made a formal complaint as the GP was incredibly unprofessional.

thebody Tue 01-Apr-14 15:02:37

what MrspixieMoo said.

can you also contact your midwife?

RainbowSpiral Tue 01-Apr-14 15:05:15

Ultimately if you are in a city and its not impractical I think I would change practice.

firstbaby01 Tue 01-Apr-14 15:08:51

Yes I have seen my midwife when I was struggling to get an appointment, she was really helpful and squeezed me in at the end of her clinic to check baby and BP etc but said I still needed to see a gp as there was no sign of pre eclampsia

CharlieSierra Tue 01-Apr-14 15:18:54

Go to the appt, express your concerns directly to her. If you still feel uncomfortable with her then apply to change GP. If you haven't already complained then at this stage you need to follow the surgery's procedure

Agree with this if she genuinely spoke to you like that without context. Also there is nothing wrong with the doctor wanting to see you before signing you off work. If you are still unfit to work you need to be properly diagnosed.

chirpchirp Tue 01-Apr-14 15:22:35

Go to the appointment but take a witness. Her attitude is disgusting and you are absolutely right to put a complaint in writing and not want to see her again.

Supercosy Tue 01-Apr-14 17:17:51

Yanbu at all. What a horrible response to your pregnancy! I had a really grim time with a nasty GP last year and changing practices has made all the difference. Don't know why I put up with it for so long to be honest! Chirpchirp's suggestion is a good one. At the end of the day you just need to get a sick note and bide your time till you change. Definitely make a complaint though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now