Advanced search

If you saw a really concerning photo on line who do you report to? (upsetting content)

(22 Posts)
catgirl1976 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:14:12

I was searching on google for images of external labia (good human biology based reason) and I saw a photo that really concerned me from a child protection perspective

It could be from a medical based site but I don't think it is (no surgical gloves etc). I certainly don't want to click on it to find out.

I am really upset. Is there a special police division to report to?

I would ask you NOT to repeat my search to verify but take my word it concerned me enough to want to report. If you work in CP or police, who do I ring?

I'm googling for a number now to call but any advice or contact numbers / agencies would be great

catgirl1976 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:16:48

I have found the internet watch foundation and am reporting online there but feel a call might be more direct and get it investigated quicker

BigRedBall Mon 31-Mar-14 21:16:56

Piscivorous Mon 31-Mar-14 21:18:42

What about ringing 101 and asking them? They might deal with it or tell you who to ring.

Fairylea Mon 31-Mar-14 21:19:05

I would report to nspcc or even call 101 and let them direct you. Not sure if that's the right thing to do but that's what I would do!

catgirl1976 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:19:06

Have also found CEOPS but that seems more about chat rooms but am reporting there any way

Nottalotta Mon 31-Mar-14 21:19:14

Police should have a child sexual exploitation team.

catgirl1976 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:19:49

Good idea. I will ring 101

meditrina Mon 31-Mar-14 21:20:40

Internet Watch Foundation (as linked above).

NurseyWursey Mon 31-Mar-14 21:21:00

If you can see the image on google you should be able to see what website it's from, so you can check before raising the alarm

catgirl1976 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:22:01

I dont want to click on the site nursey sad ringing 101 now

QOD Mon 31-Mar-14 21:24:10

Ugh sad

kinkyfuckery Mon 31-Mar-14 21:24:10

Can't you preview the link of the image, without actually clicking on the image?

NurseyWursey Mon 31-Mar-14 21:24:28

I had an idea of which image you meant because I saw it in the past when searching for something.

If it's the same one, which I suspect it is, it's from a spanish clinical review 'FEMALE INTERNAL GENITALIA PATHOLOGY IN PEDIATRICS'

catgirl1976 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:25:48

Ok -its a medical site in Brazil. I think the website is legit but am reporting anyway as Ireally think the picture should be not that searchable

Am a little blush I may have over reacted but it upset me

Coldlightofday Mon 31-Mar-14 21:25:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

catgirl1976 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:27:13

Yes I think its the same one nursey

not like me to over react but it seemed worrying

NurseyWursey Mon 31-Mar-14 21:29:26

It's good to be wary rather than ignoring it!

LadyMaryLikesCake Mon 31-Mar-14 21:42:05

You're best off reporting it if you're worried. Did you open the image via a link or download it?

CEOPS and the Internet Watch Foundation do different things. CEOPS try to trace the victim, the Internet Watch Foundation try to remove the image off the web. They should work together so you can report it to the Internet Watch Foundation. Generally speaking, a lot of local police don't know how to deal with these so you're better off flagging it to the Internet Watch Foundation, who will then get in touch with CEOPS. CEOPS do have specialist police officers among their staff so they will sort it out.

In the mean time it's best not to send the link to anyone except for the Internet Watch Foundation, and don't take your computer into a shop for repair until you've been contacted by the IWF and told what to do. Without meaning to scare you, there's legal implications involved here.

catgirl1976 Mon 31-Mar-14 21:58:10

Thanks Lady

It was an image that came up on a search

I now think it's legitimate but have reported it anyway as it's legitimacy was unclear and it may well upset others as it did me.

LadyMaryLikesCake Mon 31-Mar-14 22:02:08

It's great that you reported it, it's best to get anything that you're worried about checked out as you never do know and reporting it could mean that an abused child is helped.

thanks smile

weeonion Mon 31-Mar-14 22:02:56

Another one saying IWF or CEOP. I have used them both a number of times. You could also contact local police and ask for Public protection Unit (not sure of equivalent outside Scotland).

Better to report than not.

Hope you are ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: